The Small Things

K9 Krew

I think one of the most important aspects of GTA 4 are the small things. How is R* going to innovate, going to keep GTA fresh? Creating an immersive, realistic(yet probably still cartoony), life-life world. A breathing city, or state. Where peds(no clones btw) converse, have homes, have scripted days(wake up, exit house, go to work, eat, shop, go back home) and what not. Where you can see buildings being constructed in real time. Where your actions have a lasting impact. If R* can immerse us into their next location...they will have succeeded in creating a fresh GTA. In fact, Houser himself stated that being able to buy food/drinks at any vending machine in SA was something they were very proud of, the thing beginning of something they want to achieve.

Let's forget about the epic missions, crazy car chases, shootouts, and other huge things. Let's focus on the more subtle things in GTA 4. Because without subtle things like these, GTA 4 as a next gen title will feel empty.

-Car washes. That's right, car washes. We were promised this in SA, but didn't really get it.

-Impound. If you destroy a vehicle, or just leave one in the road, it should be towed(preferably real time, by an actual ped with a tow truck) and delivered to an impound, where you can purchase it back. This was sorta implented in SA, with the SF Police Station.

-More life-like peds. Give them lots of things to do. Have some of them do construction work. They should react in dynamic ways to your actions. Peds talking with each other(and stupid couples) appeared in VC and SA, so it's likely we'll see that done better.

-Enhaned interactibility with the enviroment. You should be able to finally f*cking climb ladders, push objects, switch things on and off, stuff like that. Maybe operate draw bridges, or other more larger objects. You should be able to cut grass with the lawnmower(maybe even have an R3 mission for it), stuff like that.

-Scripted actions. I mentioned this up there. Maybe keep it simple, have stuff like garbage trucks who come once every Sunday, take trash to the dump. Just have scripted things, so you feel as if you're not the only person really doing things. Peds enterting taxi cabs in the past games is an example of this. This way you feel things are happening in the world, no matter what you're doing.

-Desctructible enviroments. I want to be able to run down trees, blow up bridges, screw people's houses up, stuff like that. Maybe take down an entire construction site or something. The gas pumps/propane tanks in SA were the beginning of this.

-Huge, fully rendered interiors with peds. I want malls, but with all the stores open. With peds buying things, peds eating, peds talking in groups. Or maybe stadiums with actual audience members, purchasable food, bathrooms, things like that. Expand the malls from VC.

-Wildlife. Now by wildlife, I obviously don't mean silly puppies or kittens. I mean wild animals out in the countryside. Perhaps you could have hunting side-missions where you use tranq guns. Or maybe even fishing mini-games, where you could throw them back in the water. Integrate animals in somehow, yet keep violence seperate from them as best you can. We've already had animals in SA, so let's see what happens with GTA 4.

-Sports. Now, I don't really care for sports at all, but this would be great. Fully modeled arenas, stadiums, fields, where you can participate in complete games, and win cash, unlock player outfits, maybe even manage teams! Alternatively, you can f*ck up games by driving your car onto the field, for double the laughs. Then have about 20 pissed off baseball players flipping your car over and kicking your ass. We saw the beginnings of this in VC Stories, with the golf minigame.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Some of this is inspired by ES IV:Oblivion. That game is the perfect example of a living, breathing world. Including NPC's who all have different looks, different names, and different lives. They sleep, eat, read, talk. This can easily be done with GTA 4.

I guess what I really want to say, is that after I'm finished taking down empires, assasinating crime kingpins, and taking over drug trade, I want to be able to explore the city/state and find a plethora of things to keep me busy, interested. Not just side missions like OTB or Beach Rescue, but simpler things to discover.

this was written by thedude5000 from gtaforums.com

i love you, i have been trying to say this forever but i never knew how to really say it. you are the best one in this entire forum. i agree with you 75893458907345%!!! i love reaism its somthing that makes the game never get boring. the traffic should be improved. the traffic system in san andreas i rate a 0 out of 100

it sucked dick for coke. the traffic is stupid.. its impossable to not get sideswiped, stop shorted on, rammed from behind or blown up by another car flipping over you. in realife i dont think there would be 100's of 30 car pileups a day naturally.. i mean i didnt even start them i just say them happen. lol thats my dream, fix traffic and the PEDS shouldnt be cloned like you said that was weird lol and they should chat and play sports and stuff on the side of the road.@!! good post

It would be totally awesome to see things grow around you, change, adapt, and reform. The concept that GTA could be a great game purely for its stunning realism, dubbed perfectly with the Rockstar foundations that we all know and love, is one i hope is seen through. I want this to be a game that sends the makers of games like Saint's Row and True Crime a message: As long as the rockstar HQ remains Un-nuked, you will not win, possibly even after it has been nuked. We just don't know, Until it happens... :whistle:

I hope that crashing into street furniture is better. In GTA, if I was going 200MPH on an infernus and crashed into a lightpost, all that would happen was that the front of the infernus would swing up and the entire car would lose its speed. In True Crime: New York City when you crashed into a light post your car would lose speed and occasionally get off an inch of the ground but your car would still be driving, eecpt you lost some speed. I want it like in true crime, because im sure a stoplight can't stop a sports car going 200MPH

I agree with most of your ideas. Carwash because in SA if I wanted my car clean I had to wait for the rain to start falling. Wildlife because the wilderness sucked so much ass, not a single cow, chicken, sheep etc. Attack dogs shouldbe in GTA4 too. f*** PETA. Peds interacting better in the enviroment, yes. All peds did was walk around aimlessly and ocasionally talk to people.

Edited by tommy vercetti guy