Back to modding after a long absence

Robert_Hatfield

Hi all! :D I'm back to modding after a long, long absense. Finally upgraded my pc enough to where Vice City would run halfway decent. My old install discs wouldn't work due to scratches, so I purchased a LEGITIMATE download copy from Direct-2-Drive. It was then that I found out something rather dissapointing......the Direct-2-Drive version is different enough that all of the trainers won't work (with the exception of those that input the text-based cheats for you) and the location utility programs (the ones that read the co-ordinates) won't work either.

Mod installation programs still work, so I'll be able alter different .txd and .dff files no problem. It's a matter of placing pickups, buildings and car parking spots that's difficult for me. Does anyone have any solutions for this, such as utilities that work with this new version of Vice City?

Edited by Robert_Hatfield

Ugh....ok here goes.......

I want to be able to make changes to the game's main.scm file to make my own missions. In order to do that, I have to be able to read the co-ordinates so I can place pick-ups, checkpoints, vehicles, etc. All the current utilities that would normally give me the co-ordinates DO NOT WORK WITH MY VERSION OF VICE CITY.

Does anyone know of a player-position co-ordinate reader that will work with the Direct-2-Drive version of Vice City? A teleporter would also be nice!

ok now you need to use BWViceBuilder13...u can download it at here

u can use the codecreator in side it where you can found in this tool...open it and then open your GTA Vice City and play the game...the codecreator would read the coordinates for you, the codes are at the bottom right

copy it py pressing Ctrl + C and press Ctrl + V to paste it at the decompiled MAIN.SCM where you want the vehicle, items, weapons or checkpoints to be created...there are lots of coded text documents in the zip

u need to remember to decompile your MAIN.SCM and backups!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!!

Now for the next question, anyone know of a good freeware editor to modify the .dff files? The last time I was into modding, ZModeler was free, but now I have to pay almost sixty bucks if I want to import or export .dff files. I've got GMax, but I can't get it to work right. 3ds Max is free for thirty days, but then I have to pay over $3700 if I want to keep using it.

Anything else guys?

You can still get the original ZModeler for free, ZModeler2 (Which costs money) is only needed for San Andreas.

I still have the original version of ZModeler. I thought it didn't work because it wouldn't import the .dff from a download off of here (was going to practice, not redistribute). Turns out the .dff was locked, it imports Vice City vehicles just fine! :D Hope to get back into the modding scene here soon!

So your problems are sorted now except the trainer issue? That actually makes sense because LithJoe's was only fully functional with 1.0 (I think, or 1.1) and most of the other trainers were version specific too. Some would work on other versions but certain cheats in the trainer wouldn't work properly.

Good luck with your modding. Do you have your old mods available for download here or on any other sites? Because you're new here - I've no idea who you are :P

The last mod that I made was a targa-top Yakuza Stinger (from GTAIII) that I dropped the engine from the BF Injection into. It might be on the net somewhere, I don't know. Shortly after I made it, my hard drive got wiped by a virus. Right now I'm working on a mod for the Sabre Turbo. When I get done, it'll have a one-piece tilt front end with a fully detailed engine, custom wheels and a spoiler for the deck lid. I might do some retexturing of the interior, I haven't decided on that yet. I might even stick Hillary's body in the trunk as a little "Easter Egg".

The trainer thing isn't the only issue that I have. The co-ordinate reader that comes with the mission-builder that I got off of here won't work with my copy of Vice City, probably because of the same reason that the trainers won't.

Edited by Robert_Hatfield