Mystery of my PC Specs...

Deji

I've only just noticed when testing for wether my PC would work for GTA IV how powerful my computer seems to be.

I opened up loads of high process progs and a few low process ones (They were actually just because I'm about to do something ;)) and my PC didn't pause at all!

But it's a crappy lil' 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon with 512MB of RAM!! So what if it's well maintained (I maintain it manually)? It's crap! The video card is pretty old considering... It's a GeFORCE 6200 with only 256MB video memory yet my when I open all these programs as fast as I could, the PC didn't pause... My Media Player 11 didn't skip or pause... My PC didn't slow at all.

I aint showin off here, I just want to get to the bottom of this. My friends say my PC should be runnin crap yet it's beatin most of their systems.

biggerontheinside.jpg

Firefox is uploading a big file that's been going for the last 3 hours, Windows media player is playin ma favourite playlist, FRAPS is running, all my tools for Machinima makin are open, windows live is runnin, task manager is constantly updating info on my whole PC, paint is runnin... But only 23% taken? That aint right for my PC... I'm not complaining, but I want to find out what it is that's making it whizz... AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!! :P Then I want to make guides on how to speed up PC's so that there is less lagg on my fav SA-MP servers, I can not bother to buy expensive parts... It's like having a car that is fuel efficient :D

The only diagnosis I can come up with is "It's bigger on the inside" - So post your ideas of what may cause this and if you have a PC that goes beyond it's specs, load as many apps as you can find/be bothered to and post the task manager report + your specs!! Maybe we can together find out how to have faster PC's... Cuz we all want it :P

I'll post some guides to properly speed up your PC later, for now I need to do stuff :)

Your CPU usage only reflects what your computer is calculating at that precise moment in time. Loads of programs sitting open (doing nothing) won't use any CPU at all. Moving your mouse will use a lot more. That stat is irrelevant, unless its high all the time, which means its struggling. Mine never goes over 6% unless I'm doing something in particular.

The more apps you have open, the more RAM you'll be using up. That doesn't depend on your PC, that's the same for everyone. The difference is if you PC doesn't have enough RAM, it'll start to use the (slower) Hard Disk instead.

1.2 GHz AMD Athlon is pretty slow, unless its an Athlon 64 dual-core one, which would be normal

512MB of RAM is adequate for most things, but not modern gaming (older stuff like GTA SA would be fine)

256MB video memory is adequate. Not the best, and GTA IV won't run hi-res on it.

Long and short of it... you'll probably be able to RUN gta iv, but not at any sort of quality. If you have a console version, that'd be much better quality and more reliable.

Hope that helps...

1.2 GHz AMD Athlon is pretty slow, unless its an Athlon 64 dual-core one, which would be normal

512MB of RAM is adequate for most things, but not modern gaming (older stuff like GTA SA would be fine)

256MB video memory is adequate. Not the best, and GTA IV won't run hi-res on it.

Interesting... I have sh*tloads of VRam for some reason. Anyway, I'm not that hyped about runnin GTA IV on HD mode. I hate the fact they tried to make it have "Stunning effects" n everything. GTASA was fine for me. It's a game, not real life :)