newly built PC problem

claude-5

well, i built my lil bro a PC from scratch cuz he wanted 1, and when i turn it, all the light come on etc etc, but theres no display, and i know all the pieces work cuz i 'skanked' them from old PCs the worked PERFECTLY, but i bought a brand new hard drive for it, these are the specs..

750 MHz P3

320 MB RAM

10 GB HDD

16MB ATi Rage 128 Pro

230W power supply

i know its really crap xD lol, but he only wants it to surf the net, would any1 know any possible problems??

Edited by claude-5

Try removing RAM sticks one at a time because bad RAM can cause that to happen. Also it could be a dead motherboard or processor. A dead motherboard is possible because if it's dead it will basically do whatever it wants...some things might work, others wont...also if the processor is dead, it won't display anything obviously.

well, i built my lil bro a PC from scratch cuz he wanted 1, and when i turn it, all the light come on etc etc, but theres no display, and i know all the pieces work cuz i 'skanked' them from old PCs the worked PERFECTLY, but i bought a brand new hard drive for it, these are the specs..

750 MHz P3

320 MB RAM

10 GB HDD

16MB ATi Rage 128 Pro

230W power supply

i know its really crap xD lol, but he only wants it to surf the net, would any1 know any possible problems??

Did you clear the BIOS before putting it in a PC made of all different parts? Older mobos may not have automatic settings.

What brand of mobo do you have, and does it make a beeping noise when you turn it on? If so, what is the pattern?

Edited by raybob95

Does the computer beep when you turn it on? You know, like the one beep that is like the "passed POST" type thing.

Maybe your CPU needs to be re-seated. just take it out and put it back in (obviously with power disconnected etc) then try again.

If theres no beep at all then im pretty sure thats the problem. Or the CPU is dead.