GTAIV installtion on Windows 7

newn

Hi ebveryone. How can i install GTAIV on Windows 7? ANd read everytthing befor eposting. I'v tryed copying files into HDD and then install, no luck, but since the files were copied disc is not corrupt. I'v installed GTAIV and played it some time ago on Windows XP, so PC specs not needed except i have latest drivers and Windows 7 7600 RTm 64bit (don;t complain about illegality, it is legal). Tryied installing vcredist from the dvd and reinstalling that thing, no luck either. Installed and reinstalled Windows Live too. No luck installing GTAIV again. The error is Catastrophic Failure, component Grand Theft Auto 4, no other details. The error appears on the start of the installation on some .bbik file from tree letters. And forgot to mention that i must run the setup.exe from GTAIV folder with compatibility mode from Windows XP SP2 or 3. Otherwise getting error that it's not compatibile. And there's lots of people who plays it with Windows 7.

Edited by newn

GTA IV works fine on Windows 7, so it's not an incompatibility there (my own computer runs 7).

Have you read this thread on GTAForums about it? It doesn't look like anyone ever found a solution. However by the sounds of it, reinstalling Windows 7 may be the only way around it.

Seeing as the RTM has only been available a matter of weeks I can't see this being a problem for you since you won't really lose much data, and presumably you have some way of backing up any data you need to keep.

Argh... :/ I just reinstalled it a few days ago because of electricyty cut. :/ Plus i did a long and booring installation of Sacred 2 (can't play either. -.-). Well, thanks anyways. Well, since i'm probally going to reinstall windows right now i wanted to ask offtopic. What about some official addons like the damned or something like that... Are they'r going to show up for PC? And about Sacred 2 addon - When it will show up, maybe you'r interested in such a game and know? Otherwise just don't search and everything. And sorry for offtopic, just asked since the problem 'solved' and i'm going to reinstalled windows now. Thanks anyways.

Nop, can't install. Same error. Did a clean install. Installed DirectX,redistributive and Live from the DVD. When set compatibility mode to SP2/3XP i can run the installer, but i can't install anyways. What do you suggest now?

What about your C disk? Did you installed your GTAIV on some other disk and C disk had like 6GB free space? Because i have 35 gb at D and 6 on C disk. I can't clear more space i guess. Except if i figure out what to turn off on Windows 7 to clear some, since files in the disk weights 11GB and the drive has 21GB of free space. And why do i need (if i need) free space on C if i am installing the GTAIV on D? And plus my C drive hadn't any much more free space on Windows XP last time.

Okay, maybe someone could upload clean setup.exe from GTAIV installation folder? Maybe my installation file is crappy, because i just installed Windows XP with 18GBs of free space and still the same error. Probally setup.exe is damaged or something. Well, maybe someone could upload it? I don't know where to get it otherwise, i don't want some torrent file which could contain virus and since i got slow internet i don't want to download 20Gbs.

Okay, maybe someone could upload clean setup.exe from GTAIV installation folder? Maybe my installation file is crappy, because i just installed Windows XP with 18GBs of free space and still the same error. Probally setup.exe is damaged or something. Well, maybe someone could upload it? I don't know where to get it otherwise, i don't want some torrent file which could contain virus and since i got slow internet i don't want to download 20Gbs.

For legal reasons, we won't be uploading setup.exe here. I did manage to run GTA IV setup in a few builds of Windows 7, namely 7000 and 7100. Simply running it on Vista compatibility does wonders, although it is likely that your install mucked up or something.