does anyone else forget to read the dates on topics

deadmanjeff

If you're new to forums it can be a problem, though saying that I don't seem to remember doing it once when I first came here.

Completely off-topic I just went through my first posts from nearly 2 years ago. Interesting

Lots of people forget, but it isn't very hard, only takes a second.

Easiest way to do it is not to reply to topics that are too far down the list - if you have to go onto a 2nd page then it's definitely too long ago to post in.

We don't ban you if you do it a few times or anything silly like that, new members aren't always aware of the rule. If someone bumps a few topics badly (not just a one off) we'll let them know. If that person refuses to stop bumping topics or fails to heed our warning then we begin taking action.

It's still a pretty simple rule to follow - and we don't ask much :P

Bumping topics isn't actually a problem itself. It's HOW they are bumped.

Scenario 1: Really old topic is bumped with a reply like "I agree" - this is pointless

Scenario 2: Very useful, informative topic is bumped with a "thanks for the advice" or a comment contributing to the topic, these are usually ok as long as it is a useful topic.

Basically if you are bumping a topic then make sure it's useful and other people will be interested in it. Don't just bump to increase post count or points.

Yeah, there is something I'd like to add to that though.

Sometimes, a member gets a bit over-excited and posts replies to every single topic in an entire subforum at once (or at least loads.. like 20/30). This "bumps" the topic out of order and can mean that recent topics get dropped to the bottom out of view, and the ancient topics are right at the top.

Bumping an old topic, so long as it is a reply that will be useful for members to read, is fine.

Bumping an old topic with something useless like "thanks" or "me too" is not good.

Bumping lots and lots of topics in one day, old and new, because you're bored/excited is not good.

If you want to reply to a topic just to say something to one member (like "thanks") then use the Personal Message system instead.

If a NEW member bumps a topic we'll just let them know about the rule.

If an existing member bumps ONE topic, we'll usually let it fly and just delete the post.

If an existing member bumps loads of topics and causes disruption, we'll delete most of them, but won't warn.

If an existing member bumps a topic and has already been told about bumping before, they will be warned.

If an existing member, who is warned for bumping topics, bumps more topics, they will be warned again.

If you genuinely don't know about bumping rules, we'll let you know and we wont penalise you.