More people, less posts

More people read topics than write. If every member posted once every ten minutes they were online, we'd have thousands of posts every day and nobody would be able to find anything useful.

One guideline we are including in the upcoming Newbie Guide is that you should only post if it will be useful for other people to read. For example, replying to this topic with "yeah I was wondering that too" would be useless, as it would not bring anything positive to the topic. For the same reason, you shouldn't reply to every topic you read with "yeah I agree" or "me too" - its useless.

So in answer to your question.. people are obviously reading things on the forum, but perhaps have nothing useful to post at that time. Also bear in mind whether you're counting "users" or "members" - guests can't post until they register.

So can someone answer why are you doing that.

I'm sorry, but don't you think this topic is a little stupid. Just because people aren't that active today doesn't make this a real big deal. Perhaps if it was for a week I'd agree with you, but not just 1 day.

Like Gerard said, I currently can't find a topic I really want to reply to. Perhaps you could make a nice topic what would interest people so it would be active.

Or we can spam the random post topic with some random stuff =)

And usually it's a bit more active here in the evening..

So can someone answer why are you doing that.

I'm sorry, but don't you think this topic is a little stupid. Just because people aren't that active today doesn't make this a real big deal. Perhaps if it was for a week I'd agree with you, but not just 1 day.

Like Gerard said, I currently can't find a topic I really want to reply to. Perhaps you could make a nice topic what would interest people so it would be active.

Or we can spam the random post topic with some random stuff =)

And usually it's a bit more active here in the evening..

that random topic aint getting much replies though since most people just want there post count and money to go up and BTW I agree with Gerard if too many people posted it would be dificult to get the best comments out of a topic.

Were definitely not a active as out counterparts, no, but we have more information/useful information and a member base of more intelligent, mature members to other sites also. Ones that don't post every 5 seconds, and ones that respect each other too.

Having said that, there aren't that many GTA forums that are much more active than ourselves, off the top of my head, gtaforums, gtagaming, and gtawh. The rest I guess are either foreign or obsolete in a sense (like Gouranga).

The main thing is that a lot of people prefer to lurk on forums, rather than post. They might just be looking for one scrap of information, and once they've found it they'll leave. Of course we do our best to turn lurkers into posters. That is a hard task for any forum owner. We have many enticing features, the arcade, store, gangs. And other little perks, reputation for example.

There are periods of time when it's pretty quiet. Most of our users are US and Europe based. Europeans being mostly active in the evening, and US in the late afternoon, means that early mornings are generally pretty quiet. So there's a fair few factors involved.

If you're in this situation again, how about thinking up some interesting topics to post? Then leave and do something else for a while, come back later in the day and read and reply to responses...

• 5 weeks later...