Sticky Mods

Cudwieser

I appologise to all those who have replied to this issue, but the responses are all over the forums, thus incredibly speradic. So please use this thead to formally clear the issue. I have v2 of San Andreas for Pc. I have installed the downgrader, three random car mods and a successful save game. I start the game as usual and get so far and the game freezes (crashes). I have followed some of the previous advice (limit the number of mods, check for bugs, wait for 20 to 40 seconds, etc) and nothing works. Can you please state all known or suspected causes of this problem and effective solutions.

:pissedred::bashhead::pissedred:

Edited by Cudwieser

It is Version 2 (bought only last week), It has been reinstalled a couple of times and the mods were to change the line runner into a scania (european cabover tractor unit), the dft30 into a car carrying box van and the forklift into a car carrying version. Some of the mods will be from gtagarage website and some will be from here. JPGs are attached.

post-10221-1176652007_thumb.jpg

post-10221-1176652045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cudwieser

If the game freezes/crashes, that's usually because it's trying to load a car and it can't. Go through and check all the cars that you have modded, to see if they work. Chances are one of them is broken. Use a car spawner if you can't find them all. If the game crashes when you get near to where one should be, or when you spawn one, then you know that car is breaking the game.

Check the gta3.img to make sure that both the .dff and .txd files exist with the right name, and check the vehicle config files (handling, carcols, vehicles.ide) to make sure the lines for that vehicle are there.

So that I get this right, when applying a mod to a vehicle, the original txd and dff extentions remain inside the gta3.img alongside the equivalent, modified extentions. I say this because the scania mod worked with just the modified extention, but crashed a few minutes after jacking the truck in blueberry and driving into little mexico, via rodeo in LS. I even managed to use the pay 'n' spray at santa maria beach along the way.

:huh:

That is incorrect. You need to replace the original roadtrain.dff and roadtrain.txd (or whatever vehicle you want) with the modified ones. Even if they come with a different name (eg linerunner.txd) you can rename them before you replace them.

However, whenever you edit the gta3.img file, you should always make a backup of what you replace. You don't need to copy the entire gta3.img file, you can just extract the original roadtrain.dff/txd to a folder. Then if there is a problem, you can just get rid of the broken ones and put the originals back where they belong.

The chances are that if it worked for a while, then it was a different modification that is broken. The game probably tried to load another car that you had modded incorrectly when you approached it in your Scania. Check all the cars you've modded, make sure both the dff and txd files are there, and that the old versions are NOT there.

That's just it. When the game crashed with the scania mod, it was the only mod active. The dft and forklift mods were on together when the crashed near the sf airport and refinery near tunnel, near sf airport. It seems to me either two of the three mods, all of the three mods or quite probably the game are defective (relatively speaking). It seems modding may be totally out of the question for Version 2 gamers.

Out of curiosity, what sytem setup (specs, components and devices) are you running. As I said before, when the scania mod was the only mod active, the game gave me enough time to find and drive the scania, before freezing a few minutes later. Now I would like to know if there is DEFINITIVE evidence of the game reanimating after some time or if most stalls (not counting those caused by spawners) are terminal. Also, While I agree that some of the mods may conflict, there must be a serious underlying issue between the v2 game (downgraded or not), that makes modding difficult. Such examples are the wang autos elegy mods.

Edited by Cudwieser

Sure:

http://www.thegtaplace.com/pafiledb.php?ac...ile&id=2315 (dft and forklift)

http://www.thegtaplace.com/pafiledb.php?ac...ile&id=1435 (Scania)

There are a lot of great downloads on this site and many (please forgive me) others on GTAGARAGE.com

Back to the point at hand, does anybody know any successful means of curing the stalling issue.

A thought had came to me in the course of a day at work (it was a dull day). Is there a distinct possibility the downgrader is patchy (no pun intended). Version 2 won't work with mods, but version 1 will work (within reason) with mods, but a downgraded game, like mine, is faulty!?! What are your thoughts.