No Sound on Computer

7.62mm

ok, I restarted my computer.. All of a sudden. I have no sound at all. I have tried EVERYTHING. Nothing is on mute.. Nothing.. So. I go to device manager.. by other devices... it says Audio Device on high definition audio bus. When I restarted my comp it said It was looking for new hardware.. Audio Device on high definition audio bus.... It failed.. And in Device manager.. Audio Device on high definition audio bus has a question mark with an exclamation mark thru it.. wassup? Man its pissing me off. I cant listen to music or anything! Its like sound doesnt exsist on my computer anymore! I have no clue what sound card I have.. Can someone help me out? Can I just download a program so I can at least have sound again?! :mellow:

ok, I restarted my computer.. All of a sudden. I have no sound at all. I have tried EVERYTHING. Nothing is on mute.. Nothing.. So. I go to device manager.. by other devices... it says Audio Device on high definition audio bus. When I restarted my comp it said It was looking for new hardware.. Audio Device on high definition audio bus.... It failed.. And in Device manager.. Audio Device on high definition audio bus has a question mark with an exclamation mark thru it.. wassup? Man its pissing me off. I cant listen to music or anything! Its like sound doesnt exsist on my computer anymore! I have no clue what sound card I have.. Can someone help me out? Can I just download a program so I can at least have sound again?! :mellow:

Assuming that you're on XP, have you tried the System Restore applet? I've tried that once when I installed a wrong modem driver at the school's terminals...

System Restore applet? Whats that m8? Oh I yea I have XP

It's a utility present in Windows that allows you to undo untoward incidents on your rig, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and then click on System Restore. Tell the computer to bring back your computer's state to an earlier time; you will see a calendar and another list box after that, bold numbers mean that a restore point is available.

No luck bud. When It shuts down I log in and it says it failed. I did discover something though. It says in device manager I have no Audio device! The funny thing is I do.. Somehow it was terminated or something. I dont know what soundcard I have.. I tried re installing my driver but it never did anything. Always failed :(

Sounds like you lost the driver for your soundcard.

If you have a disc, try reinstalling it. If not, go to the card's manufacturer website & download one.

If you have AVG or similar, run that as it should catch most viruses. If not, at least download the free version form there website. They support the free one w/ regular updates.

I did have one a while back (before I installed AVG)that got by, called F***MEDUDE (actual name of the virus), it attacked my video drivers & my user profile.

A quick way to find out how your box is equipped is DXDIAG, click START then RUN... There type in DXDIAG & it'll give you a window w/ tabs to check out.

Good luck.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

If you have a MY COMPUTER icon on your desktop, right click it & open PROPERTIES, that might tell you which card you have. If it doesn't, take a break from it for a few, as it is obviously starting to piss you off (been there, done that).

If your computer still can't see the audio card, either it lost the driver or the card died (been there, done that too). Either way, you'll have to open it up to see what card you have. If you can get the maker's info off the card, then you should be able download the driver & see if that fixes it. My Soundblaster drivers usually come in an EXE file I just open from the desktop.

Wish you were local, I got a buddy that'll get it sorted for a pack of cigs & a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I fixed it!!

HAHA!!!!

All by myself too!!!

WOOOOT!

Hey dudes I appreciate all your help!! :)

@ Huckleberry Thanks man you where in the right path!

@Urban yo man thanks for your support I got it all fixed now! I can hear! Whooooo!

Cheers!

x!

THanks man!! :) Im good at comps but Im not really great at harware stuff :( again thanks for your help dude I appreciate it :)

It's a pleasure to help you guys...seriously... :lol:

Sorry if I'm off-topic but please check out my Vercetti spoof site. It's a GTA parody site in the style of Shirley Temple's official site. No web forgery (login theft) intended, though...