The Theoretical Corner

Harwood Butcher

So you believe that if I traveled into the past and killed my past self that I would have no choice but to wait until the exact moment in time where I last traveled back in time to travel back again to kill my past self that went back in the first place....I don't understand your logic. I would assume that's the same as believing in karma.

How does that line that is messing with my half-tired brain have any relation or similarities to karma, at all?

Because he was saying that you, the one that killed your past self, would have to live until that same point in time to go back and kill your new past self. That would mean it was your fate or destiny to do that again, in other words karma.

Ahh, so if you went and killed yourself at that time, it wouldn't be able to happen because you would already be dead..:P

That's what a lot of people say, but I see that as the easy way out. It's very possible that that's what would happen, but I think since the person that traveled into the past to kill their past self wasn't able to possibly exist at that point in time, that they would live until the point they could exist, which at that point they would...die.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Edited by Original GTA Master

So you believe that if I traveled into the past and killed my past self that I would have no choice but to wait until the exact moment in time where I last traveled back in time to travel back again to kill my past self that went back in the first place....I don't understand your logic. I would assume that's the same as believing in karma.

How does that line that is messing with my half-tired brain have any relation or similarities to karma, at all?

Because he was saying that you, the one that killed your past self, would have to live until that same point in time to go back and kill your new past self. That would mean it was your fate or destiny to do that again, in other words karma.

That isn't karma, buddy..... Fate and destiny are not directly related to karma.

Karma is a chain reaction theory. It speaks of punishment and reward based on your actions in life. Say you're a really generous person and you always help others when they need it. One day you might be a bit of a financial jam, and somehow, almost miraculously, you come across just what you needed to help you through the situation. THAT is karma.... Now, how is your situation a definition of karma?

Sorry, Spaz is right OGTAM.

But still if you saw yourself from the future, and claimed, "I'm from your future, don't have sex with this girl cause she's a cow". You'd be like whatever and walk off. That could never happen though, if you went back and killed yourself, you wouldn't exist unless you had a paradox, and they are impossible to create by humans.

Fate and destiny are not karma. You control your karma.... You cannot control fate or destiny. That is why it is fate and destiny.

karmaxf6.png

You're going by the 2nd definition (in the blue box)

I'm going by the 3rd definition (in the red circle)

Neither of us are wrong. The word just takes on different meanings between the two of us.

Fate and destiny are not karma. You control your karma.... You cannot control fate or destiny. That is why it is fate and destiny.

karmaxf6.png

You're going by the 2nd definition (in the blue box)

I'm going by the 3rd definition (in the red circle)

Neither of us are wrong. The word just takes on different meanings between the two of us.

I don't care what that single definition says. Three out of four of them say otherwise. Fate and destiny is a REALLY cheap way to define karma. That statement of his had nothing to do with karma.

So you're calling me cheap? Are you trying to start shit with me??? :mellow:

Seriously ... the definition you used is not the normal definition used by most of society. It would be like using gay to mean happy in todays time. Also karma as fate or destiny refers to the fate or destiny you will obtain if you do good or bad things. If you do bad things your destiny is to have bad things happen to you and vice versa.

So I'm not allowed to take that definition? I didn't realize it was a rule or anything.

People could use the word bad for good, but I can't even choose to use a different meaning for karma, which is in the dictionary.

Back on topic please. If not, someone please close this topic.

Spaz, thanks for once again making the whole topic go off topic by over analyzing what I say.

Edited by Original GTA Master

All I did was question the misuse of a word.... It is not my fault that the online dictionary has an incomplete definition. Nevermind the MULTIPLE people who agreed with me, TWO of which wouldn't agree with me if their life depended on it, am I right? I love how you get your last word in, then ask for it to go back on topic or be closed.

Sorry, but I believe in karma, reincarnation, and some-what fate and destiny. The way you worded your original post mentioning karma, you made it sound as if it's absurd to believe in karma.

STFU now both of you.

Spaz: Okay so he didn't understand that karma is slightly different to fate and destiny (linked, but means something specific), doesn't matter. I think it is obvious what he was referring to by his explanation, even if he used one word when he shouldn't. Don't fret over it or you start starting shit.

OGTAM: Don't rise to him. Spaz find it incredibly easy to piss people off, especially if he's right. If you have a conversation with him, you need to expect it to happen and if you think he's starting something, don't even comment on what he says.

No more comments about the above - they will be deleted.

Back ontopic...

What OGTAM said was that if you went back in time and 'replaced' your old self, you would have to act out your entire life exactly all over again up until the point you travel back in time, because you need to travel back in time for it to really happen. The problem is that if you killed yourself, it wouldn't be the dead you that travels back in time - because that person would die every time. The person that lives the 2nd half of your life and then travels back in time to kill the younger you then lives the 2nd half of your life again is the same person every time. Where did that "older" you come from? The younger you always died, killed by the older you who came out a time machine. But that means you came out of nowhere, which doesn't make sense - theres no such thing as an older you, because you were killed by someone coming out of a time machine - doesn't matter who that is.

That's what I thought hunter88888 was trying to explain. My idea is completely different.

I don't think you would go back in time again to kill yourself unless you actually wanted to. The person who traveled back in time wouldn't necessarily replace the younger version, but somewhat be a completely different person in the sense that at that point in time you, the one who traveled back in time, couldn't possibly exist, except for the fact of time traveling to the past.