DVDs won't play on my computer

Harwood Butcher

Do you have any DVD software on your PC?

You can try powerDVD, not sure about whether it's freeware, shareware or you have to pay, or w/e.

WMP is the obvious, but it's incredibly shit.

I'm assuming since I have a slot for DVDs that says DVD Rom that I could play DVDs. If my computer has that and not the software to play the DVDs, then why would my computer come with a CD Rom drive with software to play the CDs?

try get VLC player

, i think it has all these codecs included or something, but as my friend said, it will play ANYTHING (as long as its a video/audio) that you give to it,

I even got downloaded youtube videos (FLV) and opened those and it works fine....

so...yeah get that..

Otherwise as previously said its probly a region issue,

Do you have any DVD software on your PC?

You can try powerDVD, not sure about whether it's freeware, shareware or you have to pay, or w/e.

WMP is the obvious, but it's incredibly shit.

I'm assuming since I have a slot for DVDs that says DVD Rom that I could play DVDs. If my computer has that and not the software to play the DVDs, then why would my computer come with a CD Rom drive with software to play the CDs?

All about drivers/codecs. Just because you plugged in the drive doesn't mean it's going to magically work, even if it comes with it. Sometimes you just need to install some drivers/codecs.

Yeah, download some sort of codec, and player, you can use WMP, I like it, but I much perfer PowerDVD, and I think that's free, if not, well, there are easy ways to get it. Regoins won't really have an effect on computers, maybe a little lag, but everything I use is fine.

Get the XP codec pack, has everything you need.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to find out if it's the driver, newer DVD's have different encriptions on it, so it won't work on computer's/DVD players (that's what's happening to me), you you'll need to update the driver and codecs.

But, if worst comes to worse, buy a new DVD player/burner.

dont format !!!

that's like the last resort...if you built your computer yourself it'l prob be ok, since you have the CD's that came with the cd drive / dvd drive + all the drivers for your system etc

However if your computer is a brand name (eg HP) which you bought from a shop, you probably wont be able to get this stuff, however there is a recovery partition :clapping: so your saved sorta, just backup all your files, and make sure you have the original discs for your programs (or any other method of installation) before doing this because your computer will come as it did from the shop

Edited by WRX22B1998