Need help with VC

Rich-D

Hello all, I am new to the forums, but not to GTA. I do have a problem though. Whenever I try to start the game either it will crash immediately, or I will be able to create a new game, but then there will be a "Ding", and then the game will crash.

I have made sure the default/handling/carcol files are completely original. I did use IMG Tool a while back, and had some new .dff and .txd for car replacements, but I dont know how to replace them with the originals [if I need to].

Can someone please try to help?

Edited by Rich-D

Hello all, I am new to the forums, but not to GTA. I do have a problem though. Whenever I try to start the game either it will crash immediately, or I will be able to create a new game, but then there will be a "Ding", and then the game will crash.

I have made sure the default/handling/carcol files are completely original. I did use IMG Tool a while back, and had some new .dff and .txd for car replacements, but I dont know how to replace them with the originals [if I need to].

Can someone please try to help?

Basically, it sounds like you're screwed. Uninstall Vice City, then go in and delete any folders that may be left behind. Go into your My Documents folder and rename the Vice City User Files folder to something else (doesn't matter).

Next, reinstall Vice City. Once you have Vice City reinstalled, right-click on VC's install folder and select "Properties". Click the read-only button and then click "Apply". Make sure that the changes you make apply to the folder and all files contained inside. After the pc makes the changes COPY THE ENTIRE VC INSTALL FOLDER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. That way, if your original install becomes corrupted, you have a clean installation to copy over and overwrite.

Once you do that, start up Vice City. If you can play without the game crashing, then go back to the backup Vice City User Files folder and copy in your game saves. If you still can play without the game crashing, then you're good to go.

Hope this helps! :coolthumbup:

Lol.. Too bad I already did all that. :(

I guess Ill have to go to the store and buy a new copy. At least they're only 10$ :)

Edit: VCMM is more reliable right? I wouldn't have this kind of problem is I used VCMM instead?

Edited by Rich-D

I would recommend GTA Mod Intaller. It installs mods very easily, after you download the file just extract the .txd and the .dff to your VC directory (doesen't really matter). Then it will automatically detect the files and the handling.cfg and the default.ide that came with the mod. After that, just choose if you want to back it up (I would suggest you do) then your mod is installed. The mod installer works for both, GTA III and VC.

GTA Don, do you mean run a Registry scan? There is another file that has been bugging me for months about not being in my registry, and I tried to go find it, but couldn't. If you would like to PM me about instead of posting in this thread, that would be fine.

Thanks.