Please help a learning photoshopper

GTA Don

Can anyone tell me how to center a layer? I tried Google, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Please don't say just nuge it until it looks like it's in the center, I want to fully center align it. Help? Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Edited by GTA Don

I could've sworn I saw a really easy way to do it on this GTA fansite, but I forgot what it was called.

I think there is a way, but I never felt like looking for it. I found it faster to just take a guess. Sometimes centering the entire image doesn't even look centered, such as the GTA logo. You're just better off guessing with that.

I'll take a look though when I get home.

CS3 and I believe several earlier versions will "snap" align the layer for you if you move it around in an image.

That's only to edges, isn't it? It would just get really annoying snapping every time I pass over the middle.

And the grid would be your best bet if you want it as centered as possible.

Well you learn a few tricks here and there when playing with Photoshop so much, such as zooming in all the way so it doesn't snap. When zoomed in all the way it moves pixel by pixel.

CS3 and I believe several earlier versions will "snap" align the layer for you if you move it around in an image.

That's only to edges, isn't it? It would just get really annoying snapping every time I pass over the middle.

Well you learn a few tricks here and there when playing with Photoshop so much, such as zooming in all the way so it doesn't snap. When zoomed in all the way it moves pixel by pixel.

That would be HELL on an image that's 3072x2304. Even on a standard 1024x768 it would suck.

That would be HELL on an image that's 3072x2304. Even on a standard 1024x768 it would suck.

Well hopefully you would be able to get it into the general area first before you zoom in that far. I think you'd be able to pin point where you want to move something as you're zooming in.

Well hopefully you would be able to get it into the general area first before you zoom in that far. I think you'd be able to pin point where you want to move something as you're zooming in.

It would still be a bitch because of how much you'd have to scroll just to move it.

Like I said, if you're used to this stuff, it's actually easier doing it that way.