Resolution has messed up?

Mpilk901

Ok well I recently connected my laptop to my HDTV and I'm now using that as my primary monitor. I reset my laptop to install some new updates or something and now the resolution for both the laptop screen and the HDTV have messed up.

While the computer says that my HDTV is running at 1920 x 1080 reso, it's nowhere big as it was before. Everything has now cramped up and even the text has changed how it looks. Same goes for the laptop screen.

I've also noticed that my laptop is going a bit slower too than usual, don't know if that has anything to do with this though.

Anyway, here is what it SHOULD look like:

Desktop-1-1.png

But here is what it looks like now:

fuckedupbackground.png

You can tell that you can fit less in the 2nd screen and that it looks different. If anybody knows how to fix this then please tell me, I'm desperate!

Edited by Mpilk901

Computer screens are 16:10 and TV's are 16:9 aspect ratio and for some reason your laptop isn't picking that up. Maybe you need to update drivers for your graphics card and/or if there are some for the TV then install them so it recognises the resolution properly.

To me it looks like it's chosen the next lowest resolution and upscaled it. 1680x1050... only needs to add 30 pixels vertical height to get the 1080, but 220 horizontal which is why stuff is appearing stretched. It will have chosen this because 1920x1200 is too big for the TV to display and they don't do downscaling. 1920x1080 generally isn't supported by default.

I updated my NVIDIA drivers, the Dell drivers and updated the latest windows updates but it still won't go back to normal. I have tried re-starting my computer without the HDMI port plugged in but I am also encountering the same problem with my laptop resolution too.

Computer screens are 16:10 and TV's are 16:9 aspect ratio and for some reason your laptop isn't picking that up. Maybe you need to update drivers for your graphics card and/or if there are some for the TV then install them so it recognises the resolution properly.

To me it looks like it's chosen the next lowest resolution and upscaled it. 1680x1050... only needs to add 30 pixels vertical height to get the 1080, but 220 horizontal which is why stuff is appearing stretched. It will have chosen this because 1920x1200 is too big for the TV to display and they don't do downscaling. 1920x1080 generally isn't supported by default.

So would it be unwise to buy a 1920x1080 monitor for my next build? Monitor size is 23", GPU is EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR (NVIDIA GTX 275)

I wouldn't say so Ray, it worked perfectly for me before but something seems to have glitched it up. I'd say go for it.

Edit: YAY! I fixed my resolution, the problem was with the font size, don't know how that affected my screen size but everything is fixed now. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Mpilk901