GTA Chicago

Gerard

Yes, GTA Chicago was an elaborate April Fools prank by our very own admin Chris, here at TheGTAPlace.

Planned for quite a while, he copied the exact page (including code) from a previous GTA release announcement site, and edited the logo, the images (PS3, 2007). We spread the rumour through a few sites, added the fake announcement onto thegtaplace's homepage, and let the web do the work.

Within 19 hours 22,000 people had visited the fake site, and dozens of websites, blogs and forums around the world had this announcement on. Many people were sceptical, many realised it was just a prank, yet many believed it was true.

Here are some of the many sites that linked to gtachicago today:

urgo.org, kotaku.com, wikipedia.org, ga-forum.com, qj.net, somethingawful.com, gamespot.com, gta.ag.ru, jogos.uol.com.br, playstation.com, digg.com, del.icio.us, live.com, xbox.com, ign.com, joystiq.com, hlfallout.net, gamespy.com, terra.com.br, vandal.net, gtasa.cz, teamxbox.com, nforce.nl, xbox-scene.com, whirlpool.net.au, spel.feber.se, neowin.net, ps3forums.com, evilgamerz.com, firingsquad.com, hinnavaatlus.ee, gtaforums.com, 1up.com, and many more.

The aim was not to piss people off, but to instill a bit of excitement in the community. I personally hope that people are now wanting a new GTA more than before, and that perhaps Rockstar would be inspired by the sheer excitement that has surrounded a simple announcement of a new game, even though it was fake and not broadcast very far by us.

The following 6 steps are what Chris went through to begin the foolery:

1. The two domains were registered on the 2nd Feburary
  2. Later, he copied and pasted source code from GTA4.com's page, as it was parked at Register.com - this made it look as if Rockstar had parked gtachicago there as well for the average visitor.
  3. Chris went to archive.org and looked at the first version of the Official San Andreas site, took the source code and associated images. This formed the basis of the page, image sizes were all kept exactly the same to add to the authenticity. All that was needed was a font to write Chicago.
  4. An authentic 1930's font was hard to find, but he did find one, it wasn't the best but it didn't need to be, this after all was a joke. If it was too serious, perhaps worse things would have happened.
  5. Late on March 31st, he uploaded the site and posted the fake storyline he had written as a press release on TheGTAPlace.com
  6. We submitted the story to a few gaming sites (QJ, Kotaku etc) and the web did the rest. People saw it and posted it themselves, that was seen by many other people who then posted it everywhere else.

Any comments, congratulations or anything positive please comment here. Anything negative, just don't bother.

Funnily enough it's often quite windy there I believe.

A quick update on the stats: 22 hours after launch and gtachicago has has nearly 28000 hits.

It's officially everywhere!

nice joke :D:P i went to that site myself couse i was that dumb that i nearly believed it :D:P

P.S. sorry about my bad english i'm dutch

The updated first post of Xenon's contains my 6-step guide to creating your own fake GTA website.

I strongly suggest you DON'T do it though, or if you do, just don't do it on such a big a scale as I did because it does cause a frenzy over gaming related websites. And Rockstar probably don't appreciate all the "is this real" emails :P

Yes let me point out to those speculating. Since midnight on the 31st March to 1st April, we have had 50,000 (fifty thousand) unique visitors to GTAChicago.com

Some sites have reported that we've had that many hits, which counts every time a page is opened or image is displayed. We have actually had that many visitors, all with different IP addresses. Even if anybody visits twice, they are listed only once.

The foolometer on the GTAChicago homepage is only a rough guide.