Building a PC

Pandora

This topic is mainly for Chris82 and all other people who have built there own PC once and are willing to help me out.

Considering I'm a real newbie to this, I'll need quite an ammount of help.

First of all, I offcourse already have a full clear tutorial about actually building it, but I'm sure to run into some problems.

First of all I've to choose a PC case. So what should I mainly look for when trying to find one? Then I mean, what should the PC case have. Also, how can I know what type of power suply my PC would need?

Well you do need to make sure that it's fitted for ATX. ATX is the most common motherboard design today and it's quite good. Make sure your motherboard and case are ATX. Not Micro-ATX, not BTX, none of that shit! Get ATX.

You should also look for a roomy case with as many fans/vents as possible. Your case style should ideally be full tower but those are really large and expensive (usually over $100 for entry-level full towers) soz a mod tower should suit you. (It's what I got)

My case has two 80mm fans and runs very nicely. You should get either two 80mm fans, a 120mm fan, or a combo if you can afford it.

You should also look for a case with as many drive bays as you may need. Internal drive bays house your hard drives so look for a case with several

internal 3.5'' drives.

Also never get a case packaged with a power supply, those psus suck. Get a separate one. For a modern gaming PC, you'd be looking at a psu with 500 watts at the very least, and if you get a really beefy video card and several hard drives, I'll look for a 750 watt ATX power supply.

Well, I've been searching and can't find anything else than ATX.

I'll post the one I'm thinking of getting.

Now I'm also planing to get a nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS (640 mb), the version of MSI. And offcourse a real good CPU. I think a duo core, but if it's with in my budget a quad core.

Would 500 Watt be enough?

I'm not sure, I've read somewhere that the 8800 serie uses alot of power. Just forgot how much.

So how can I know how much my PC is going to use?

Edit:

I've got picture of the PC case. Think this one is good and has enough space?

11-133-145-09.jpg

11-133-145-13.jpg

Expansion Slots 7
So what do expansion slots do? I mean, Expanding what?

Here is a link to the site.

The specs are found right at the end of the page.

Edited by Jace

I haven't bought anything so far. I'm marking everything I won't, then I'll see if it's within my budget. After that I can buy all at ones from a Dutch online PC shop.

Edit: and I'm actually waiting to go through everything on my list of parts by someone who already has done this. Don't won't to spend money on the wrong stuff.

Edited by Jace

Well, I've been searching and can't find anything else than ATX.

I'll post the one I'm thinking of getting.

Now I'm also planing to get a nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS (640 mb), the version of MSI. And offcourse a real good CPU. I think a duo core, but if it's with in my budget a quad core.

Would 500 Watt be enough?

Jesus. For an 8800 and a dual core processor you bet your ass you'll need at least a 600 watt and I'd get 750 to be safe. No way in hell a 500 can manage all that stable.

Expansion slots means those slots at the bottom where pci, agp, and pci-e cards stick out of the mobo soz you can plug things into them. My case also has 7.

Anyway that case you picked out looks great, lots of room for the mobo, four places for ROM drives and several hard drive containers.

Nice!

G-card:

nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB from Asus

375 Euro

ASUS.jpg

Vista Ultimate upgrade

330 Euro

PC Case:

See above: 65 Euro

Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard. With a nVidia nForce 680i SLI chipset. 1333 MHz

Here's a full page about it's specs.

113 Euro

small_2.jpg

I'm still busy choosing other parts.

Also, I just choose this Motherboard, so what makes a good motherboard. I truely don't have a clue. All I did was look if it's SLI compatible and at the amount of MHz.

And what the hell is PCI. I see it everywhere but don't know what it is.

Edit: It took some time getting all this so I didn't see your post Chris 82. I'll try to find some Power Suply now.

Could you please rate all the parts above :innocent::) (The MoBo and G-card)

Edited by Jace

Already posted that.

Here

edit: while looking for a power suply I keep seeing this:

20 and 24 pins, 20 pins or 24 pins.

and then still stuff like

500 watt

500 watt PFC

500 watt activePFC

So what would I need?

Edit 2: Will this do. I'll have the 700 Watt version, cause the 850 is just to expensive and not needed.

Edited by Jace

Well there are three types of "plugs" for power supply. When you see 20, 24, or 20+4 power connector on a motherboard, it's reffering to the number of pins it uses to connect to the power slot on the motherboard.

It doesn't really matter because most mobos are 24 pins nowadays, but I got a 20+4 pin psu so I could connect to both types if need be.

That PSU you posted looks almost exactly like mine except yours has two pci-e connectors and more wattage plus an active PFC. (All good things.)

You have over 12v on the 18amp rail so that means that the amount of quoted wattage is accurate.

If you're looking for an 8800 or dual graphics cards and a powerful processor, that's the psu to get.

Yeah :D

Now everything is a little over my budged, but the hell with it. I'll try to get it all anyways.

The CPU will probably be a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz. Now 2.4 sounds quite little compared to the Pentium 4. Now I do know it's better then a Pentium 2, and you yourself callen things "with the name pentium" (should be avoided) crap.

But how much GHz would a Pentium 4 need to standup to a 2.4 GHz Duo Core. It's just to get an idea of it for myself.

I'll post a pic of the full list of parts, as soon as I found the link to it.

Edited by Jace

Yeah :D

Now everything is a little over my budged, but the hell with it. I'll try to get it all anyways.

The CPU will probably be a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz. Now 2.4 sounds quite little compared to the Pentium 4. Now I do know it's better then a Pentium 2, and you yourself callen things "with the name pentium" (should be avoided) crap.

But how much GHz would a Pentium 4 need to standup to a 2.4 GHz Duo Core. It's just to get an idea of it for myself.

I'll post a pic of the full list of parts, as soon as I found the link to it.

It doesn't matter with Core2Duos. You can't compare them to P4s because the P4 architecture is so incredibly shitty, even a 3GHz P4 couldn't match the performance of that Core2 you're getting.

Hell, my AMD Athlon 4000+ @ 2.4GHz pwns the shit out of any P4.

Ok. Someone else also said to me that the E6600 is good overclockable, to at least 3GHz.

BTW, here's my list

Ignore the little Dutch though.

And I'm getting Ultimate for just 130 EUR if I'm not mistaken :)

Edit: do not all prices are without the 19% tax given there. So that still add-up to the price.

Edited by Jace