PS3 Games Are Top Of The UK Charts! & Lots Of Other Good Things!

Ciaran

UK charts bow to the mighty PS3!

Maybe that was an overstatement, but it's the truth. With the launch of the console spurring people to proclaim with unnatural glee "it's a failure!" and the numbers to dictate otherwise, it's not surprising to see PlayStation 3 titles smothered all over the UK Charts. Let's break it down, eh?

Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm took the first two spots with little surprise. The next PS3 title was Virtua Tennis 3 at number four (it's multiplatform, but that includes the PS3!). Some cricket game got number three. Completely don't understand cricket. Apologies, UK. Call of Duty 3 jumped from number 20 to number 5 -- proving the impact the PS3 had over the weekend! Formula 1 landed at the seventh spot... blah, blah, blah.

We're fairly sure that about does it for PS3 games in the top 10 -- there are plenty more in the next set of 10, but we'll let you see where your favorite game landed. All in all, new console = jump in sales. Refreshing

PS3 almost breaking records across the UK!

Here's a bit of great news for all the PlayStation 3 owners out there -- Sony's newest console has smashed away the competitors and claimed a record-breaking opening weekend for a home console in the UK! It has been confirmed that over 165,000 of Sony's powerhouse made their way into the homes of eager consumers. The total number of launch units available in the area was 220,000 -- that means about 75% of the systems were sold in a single weekend.

The previous record was held by the Nintendo Wii at 105,000 units, but who knows. Perhaps there were shortages. It seems the trend. There is, however, something that did sell better than the PS3 upon its launch. Luckily, it's another Sony product: the PlayStation Portable (which conveniently shortens down to PSP, don'cha know). Failure indeed.

Sony's PS3 selling faster than XBox 360?

This actually isn't flamebait, so put your pitchforks down. You can keep the torches up. They give a nice atmosphere. Nothing quite like dancing shadows. Er, anyway, Engadget reports that the end-of-first-quarter sales of the PS3 trump the end-of-first-quarter sales of the XBox 360 -- we mean the first four months of release for both (so, one year ago for the 360 sales, the quarter ended for the PS3 right now). This can be attributed to a multitude of factors, some we can debunk:

* PS3 is a new system, so of course it's selling better. However, this is comparing first quarter of both console's release. That means that even with no competition, the 360 is selling less than the PS3. Since the PS3 has competition from two other consoles, to say that it's topping another in terms of sales, despite the year difference, is a positive outlook for the system down the road.

* This only applies to America! However, if Japan were added into the mix (since Europe was added only at the end of the quarter, we'll leave them out this time), the gap would only widen.

What's the use in comparing this year's sales to last year's, you ask? It's simple, really. It gives a fairly accurate (read: barely) way to estimate the future sales of the PlayStation 3. That is to say, it may be on track to continue its climb to second place. It also portends a growing consumer base that may or may not explode in Europe (the launch wasn't exactly a gigantic success).

Naturally, there are no charts or anything to prove these numbers, but it's up to you to decide what the future holds. Again, this isn't flame against the 360 -- it's just a way to think about how the PS3 is performing relative to competition in a similar timeframe. Your thoughts?

LINK

:clapping:

Don't shoot the messenger! :P

A bad thing. The console is huge! Couldn't they have made that thing a little smaller. It might even be as big as the Xbox (1).

That's in the UK. Here people just look at it, then see the price, then go look at the Wii. And I'm serious.

Edited by Jace

A bad thing. The console is huge! Couldn't they have made that thing a little smaller. It might even be as big as the Xbox (1).

That's in the UK. Here people just look at it, then see the price, then go look at the Wii. And I'm serious.

Well thats there, UK is a stronk Market for Sony and one that has always been reliable. Anyway I went to Virgin Megastores and they were sold out. :(

It's amazing that Sony have had such a great success with the PS3 in Europe so far. Compared to the USA anyway.

It's a shame that every topic about the PS3 gets Xbox fanboys coming into it, and vice versa with Xbox topics and PS3 fanboys. Why be a fanboy anyway?

Besides, talking about the Xbox 360 in here would be going off topic (read: breaking the rules) so unless it's legit... ;)

It's amazing that Sony have had such a great success with the PS3 in Europe so far. Compared to the USA anyway.

It's a shame that every topic about the PS3 gets Xbox fanboys coming into it, and vice versa with Xbox topics and PS3 fanboys. Why be a fanboy anyway?

Besides, talking about the Xbox 360 in here would be going off topic (read: breaking the rules) so unless it's legit... ;)

Why does it matter if people are fanboys/fangirls? I'm a GTA fanboy and I'm sure as hell you are? I'm not trying to start something...just don't see why there is anything wrong with being a "fanboy".

That joke from Microsoft was pathetic. They're really saying "Why didn't we think and wait longer."

Well thats there, UK is a stronk Market for Sony and one that has always been reliable. Anyway I went to Virgin Megastores and they were sold out. :(

Ya, U.S. was always "cuddly" and loved Sony too, guess most U.S. peopel don't see it appealing.