"4/19/07"

Harwood Butcher

Today during my 4th period class teachers were sent an E-mail notifying them that our last three classes were going to be shortened. We all thought that this was because we were going to finally get our report cards, which we did, but we also got something else. We all received yet another note that updated us on a new threat that was written on the restroom walls again suggesting that this time there will be a bombing that will occur on 4/19/07 and rumored to also be a threat on 4/20/07 being that it's national Marijuana Day(I don't see any significant other than it is the anniversary to the Columbine incident). Due to the fact that this is now a bomb threat, we were told to have every single locker cleaned out by tomorrow, 4/18/07, and there are 6 buildings that have lockers. The following is the note we received.

Dear Parents:

As you know, the district implemented extra security measures at the high school on Friday, April 13, in response to a vague graffiti-style message we discovered in early March. We appreciated the assistance we received from the ****** **** Police Department to ensure a safe school environment on Friday, and we also appreciated the cooperation from students and families to keep that day as "normal" as possible.

Today, I am writing to inform you that we have discovered another graffiti-style message containing the date, "April 19, 2007." At this time we are not sure if this has been done by the same person who wrote the original message last month, or if it is a "copycat," but either way, we are approaching this with the same level of seriousness as we did last week. The ****** **** Police Department has been notified and they are working closely with the school district to develop the following plan that will be implemented immediately.

• By the end of the school day on Wednesday, April 18 ALL student lockers must be emptied out and locks removed. Any locks that are still on lockers at the end of the school day on Wednesday will be cut off. Any contents left in lockers will be removed and discarded. The campus will be locked down at 4 PM on Wednesday and will not re-open until the beginning of school on Thursday.
  • On Thursday, April 19, ALL students will be subject to search. Students will NOT be permitted to carry book bags, knap sacks, and back packs or gym bags that day. Purses will be searched. Athletes who need to bring athletic bags to school for athletic events/practices will have their bags searched. Music instrument cases will be searched. Students will NOT be permitted to use their lockers on Thursday, April 19.
  • Students who have an early dismissal on Thursday will NOT be permitted to return to campus. Any students who leaves campus on Thursday will not be permitted to return to school until Friday.
  • We are working closely with the ****** **** Police Department and not only will there be an increased police presence on campus on Thursday, the Police will also be responsible for securing the campus throughout the night on Wednesday.

Because we are involved in a police investigation, we have been asked by the police not to divulge the precise content of the message. We do not want to do anything at this point to jeopardize the ongoing investigation . Please know that it is out number one priority to keep our students and staff safe. Furthermore, it is our intention to find out who is behind these threats and pursue legal action against the individual(s) who is responsible for causing disruption to our campus.

We are appreciative of the information we have received to date from students and parents, and ask that if you have any information as to who is behind this, to please either contact one of the high school administrators or call the ****** **** Police Department Tip Line at *** *** ****. The district is offering a $200 reward to anyone who can provide us with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible.

It is our intention to have a full day of school on Thursday, April 19. We continue to believe we have a safe school and a student body of which to be proud. We will do everything in our power to continue to provide our students and staff with a safe educational environment.

We continue to believe we have a safe school and a student body of which to be proud.

I'm really starting to question that statement.

They'll probably slip up sooner or later. This is why we use signed passes here, it can narrow stuff down A LOT.

We have passes too and most people choose not to sign them and put names like "John Smith". So no, that doesn't narrow down anything.

Those asshole are obviously using the VA shooting, cause everybodey gets terryfied just hearing something about threats like these.

That's pretty impossible seeing as the note was written yesterday and not today. We found out about the Virginia Tech shooting after school yesterday.

Air rifles and BB guns are different... BB guns fir ball bearings, air rifles fire metal cap-thingies, looks like a cork/mushroom (some of them ).

We just had an incident with BB Guns and Air Rifles because we are one of those scools what are full of over 500 mis behaved youths.

Its hardly suprising that a Message on the Restroom walls hasnt appeared yet at my school

Those asshole are obviously using the VA shooting, cause everybodey gets terryfied just hearing something about threats like these.

That's pretty impossible seeing as the note was written yesterday and not today. We found out about the Virginia Tech shooting after school yesterday.

oh, but i bet that whoever did this wish that they hadnt done it, cause police do not want another VA shooting, or even just threats.

oh, but i bet that whoever did this wish that they hadnt done it, cause police do not want another VA shooting, or even just threats.

If they wished they didn't do it, they wouldn't have done this second time. The FBI is now involved in all of this and the reward has been bumped up to $2,000. There is an excused absence tomorrow, but I want to go just to see what happens when everyone gets searched. I'm thinking about taking weird things in like a rubber chicken just to see what they do when I empty my pockets.