An email from the SSC webmaster

Huckleberry Pie

OK, so while checking out my email, I've recieved a mail from a guy who was said to be the webmaster of Huckleberry Briar. Turned out that the guy asked me to give credit to him, as stated below:

Hi, I am the creator and owner of HuckleberryBriar.com, and I have noticed that you are using some of my artwork for your profile images and other postings. I have no problem with this as long as you give me create for my artwork so that people will know that you are using it with my permission. The characters are not mine, but the artwork on HuckleberryBriar.com is 100% drawn by myself and based on the DIC Animated Cartoons of Strawberry Shortcake, so I legally own the artwork and it isn't available free for people to use without permission. The Huckleberry Pie artwork and Strawberryland map have been altered from the original drawings in the cartoon to make it easily distinguishable from the DIC Animated Artwork. Again, I have no problem with you using my artwork just post on the artwork or near it that it is "Used with Permission from HuckleberryBriar.com" or just the initials "K.P." This will also make it less confusing for people who see your profile with my artwork and assume that it is myself, since I also use the profile name "Huckleberry Pie". I think it is great that you like my artwork enough to use it and it is nice to see another guy who also loves Huckleberry Pie. I am really sorry about asking you to do this, but I have already had a person still my artwork and claim that it was his own. Thank you in advance for your understanding with this issue. :)

Sincerely,

Keith Pilgrim

HuckleberryBriar.com

Nothing really special, nor do I have any mad stuff to throw at Keith, but has anyone recieved similar emails from Rockstar or any other company regarding the use of someone else's stuff?

Hah...well I dont think rockstar would bother with minor (no offense) stuff like that...i think they'd be concentrating on developing new anti-piracy features for the games, rather than tracking down people who dont give credit for using a image from GTA

Agreed... Unless if you act like a fool and steal images, claiming that it is yours, it's OK... Fair use, eh?

Hah...well I dont think rockstar would bother with minor (no offense) stuff like that...i think they'd be concentrating on developing new anti-piracy features for the games, rather than tracking down people who dont give credit for using a image from GTA

Agreed... Unless if you act like a fool and steal images, claiming that it is yours, it's OK... Fair use, eh?

As if anyone would believe you if you did....

"Oh yeah, I made this new game over the weekend. I call it Illegal Activities Game. It is set in a fictional town called San Andreas"...lmfao

Well...also...on my site (http://wrx.22b.sti.googlepages.com), I used some open source code (an mp3 player for Delphi w/ID3 tag support)..then I changed the colour scheme, icons etc (to an itunes icon)...and i called it myTunes...I havent even had an EMAIL..from anyone! I used their icon on a program that wasnt theirs, its copyright and they will destroy me...not yet. :P

Thats what Im getting at, they wouldnt be getting anywhere spending time and money chasing down nothings

Edited by WRX22B1998

I got a fake email from Jack Thompson about my site.

So did most of us at RockstarWatch. That was funny. Was it at Yahoo? Or Hotmail?

No one can can everything that someone has copied and ask them to give them credit. Oh look, that sign looks like mine, except it has a different blck spot. It's stupid. Look at all those celebraties who get's used in RP games. Do you think they care. Hell, I've seen some use different people to hide themselves. No one cares.

Plus can he prove he made them, he might have just copied them from another site.

Well I'm assuming that guy isn't the creator of Strawberry Shortcake...so that "artwork" of his is all he's got. Rockstar is probably happy that we use images from their games because it's like free advertising. Sort of like when you wear a shirt that says a company on it such as Coca-Cola, that's just basically advertising for them. Using this guy's "artwork" though is basically stealing his product...which doesn't really advertise it because any fan of Starwberry Shortcake could have made it...hell, I assumed you made it.

I thought it was official.... I know shit-all about SS.... Nor do I plan on knowing anything.

He has a point, the artwork IS his.... But... You aren't using it for gain... You are simply making your posts/profile/whatever a tad less boring and plain. But really, it isn't worth fighting it. My personal opinion? Just Google-search a new image and recreate them. I'm sure you've saved the .PSD's, right?

I thought it was official.... I know shit-all about SS.... Nor do I plan on knowing anything.

He has a point, the artwork IS his.... But... You aren't using it for gain... You are simply making your posts/profile/whatever a tad less boring and plain. But really, it isn't worth fighting it. My personal opinion? Just Google-search a new image and recreate them. I'm sure you've saved the .PSD's, right?

Yeah, you have a point there, Spaz... He made the artwork and the Shockwave Flash stuff for the site, but I only used his work to pimp my profile to my liking...

Something tell me that the guy who emailed you has to much free time...

Yeah, maybe...

A few years back, Disney tried ti get a court order prohibiting a man from getting Disney tattoos (anyone else hear of this?).

At least you can get permission.

Maybe that guy was Dinsey Channel fan who loved Hannah Montana and other stuff lol.

I happen to like Hannah Montana so stuff you.

Anyway, he can't re-create the images without permission. So you using them for your own personal use is against the law. But who gives a shit, the only people that are going to see them are us, and we don't care. Plus, look at all the GTA stuff we put into our signs from screenshot of the game. Do Rockstar care? Does Take-Two care? No. Disney just want more money then they already got, they make children slaves in their theme parks and then if they don't work they'll make them be in a Tim Allen Christmas Movie.

He just likes the little power he might have, did his work have his signture on it? If not, you can use it, as he doesn't prove it was his in the first place.

A few years back, Disney tried ti get a court order prohibiting a man from getting Disney tattoos (anyone else hear of this?).

At least you can get permission.

Maybe that guy was Dinsey Channel fan who loved Hannah Montana and other stuff lol.

I happen to like Hannah Montana so stuff you.

Anyway, he can't re-create the images without permission. So you using them for your own personal use is against the law. But who gives a shit, the only people that are going to see them are us, and we don't care. Plus, look at all the GTA stuff we put into our signs from screenshot of the game. Do Rockstar care? Does Take-Two care? No. Disney just want more money then they already got, they make children slaves in their theme parks and then if they don't work they'll make them be in a Tim Allen Christmas Movie.

He just likes the little power he might have, did his work have his signture on it? If not, you can use it, as he doesn't prove it was his in the first place.

You should probably touch up on copyright laws a little. Huck using these images for PERSONAL USE is entirely legal, unless stated otherwise by the artist. The artist is doing fan-art, so what HE is doing is also legal. Using GTA imagery for personal images? Also, legal. Using any of this to sell or advertise merchandise or any other profitable business? Illegal.

And no, he doesn't need a signature on it to prove it was his.

You should probably touch up on copyright laws a little. Huck using these images for PERSONAL USE is entirely legal, unless stated otherwise by the artist. The artist is doing fan-art, so what HE is doing is also legal. Using GTA imagery for personal images? Also, legal. Using any of this to sell or advertise merchandise or any other profitable business? Illegal.

And no, he doesn't need a signature on it to prove it was his.

Agreed on that, Spaz... Keith was doing some fan art, so it isn't as crappy as warez or stealing stuff...