The Random Post Topic V2.0

JustADummy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interstate 45 (I-45) is an Interstate Highway located entirely within the U.S. state of Texas. It connects the cities of Dallas and Houston, continuing southeast from Houston to Galveston on the Gulf of Mexico.

I-45 replaced US 75 over its entire length, although portions of US 75 remained parallel to I-45 until its elimination south of downtown Dallas in 1987. At the south end of I-45, State Highway 87 (formerly part of US 75) continues into downtown Galveston. The north end is at Interstate 30 in downtown Dallas, where US 75 used the Good-Latimer Expressway. A short continuation, known by traffic reporters as the "I-45 overhead",[2] signed as part of US 75, and officially Interstate 345, continues north to the merge with the current end of US 75. Traffic can use Spur 366 to connect to Interstate 35E at the north end of I-345.

The portion of I-45 between Galveston and downtown Houston is known as the Gulf Freeway. The short Pierce Elevated connects this to the North Freeway, which leads to Conroe. I-45 and I-345 in the Dallas area, north of the interchanges with Interstate 20 and State Highway 310 (old US 75), is the Julius Schepps Freeway. The Gulf Freeway and North Freeway both include reversible High-occupancy vehicle lanes for buses and other high-occupancy vehicles to and from downtown Houston.

Contents

[hide]

* 1 Route description

o 1.1 Gulf Freeway

o 1.2 North Freeway

o 1.3 Schepps Freeway

* 2 Lane configuration

* 3 History

o 3.1 Gulf Freeway (Houston to Galveston)

o 3.2 North Freeway (Houston to Conroe)

o 3.3 Schepps Freeway (Dallas) and to Richland

o 3.4 Between Conroe and Richland

* 4 Exit list

* 5 References

* 6 External links

[edit] Route description

In addition to the official control cities of Galveston, Houston, and Dallas,[3] I-45 serves a number of other communities, including La Marque, League City, Spring, The Woodlands, Conroe, Willis, Huntsville, Madisonville, Centerville, Buffalo, Fairfield, Corsicana, and Ennis.

U.S. Highway 190 joins I-45 for 26 miles from Huntsville, Texas to Madisonville, Texas. U.S. Highway 287 joins I-45 for 18 miles from Corsicana, Texas to Ennis, Texas. US 287 signs are only posted (with I-45) from the northern end of Business Loop 45 in Corsicana to the Ellis County line.

Hurricane Rita evacuation from the Louetta Road (exit 68) overpass

Hurricane Rita evacuation from the Louetta Road (exit 68) overpass

Interstate 45 gained notoriety during Hurricane Rita in 2005. Thousands of Houston area evacuees jammed the roadway trying to leave. As a result, the freeway became a parking lot. Gas stations ran dry and hundreds of people's cars simply ran empty, their occupants having to spend the night along the shoulder. Four-hour drives suddenly became 24-hour drives. Even though the Texas Department of Transportation started contraflow lane reversal at FM 1488, it didn't alleviate the traffic jam deep into the city, as that starting point was even north of The Woodlands, which is close to Conroe, the northern terminus of the greater Houston area.

At just 284.913 miles, I-45 is the shortest of the primary interstates (those ending in 0 or 5).

[edit] Gulf Freeway

The stretch of I-45 connecting Galveston with Houston is known as the Gulf Freeway. It was the first freeway built in Texas--opened in stages beginning on October 1, 1948, thru a full completion to Galveston in 1952, as part of U.S. Highway 75. At the north (Houston) end, it connects to the North Freeway via the short Pierce Elevated, completed in 1967.[4] The section north of the curve near Monroe Road/State Highway 3 in southeastern Houston was built on the right-of-way of the former Galveston-Houston Electric Railway, which entered downtown on Pierce Street.[5][6]

After several interchanges, I-45 crosses the Galveston Causeway and passes Tiki Island. The split with State Highway 6 and State Highway 146 (to State Highway 3) may be the beginning of the Gulf Freeway[citation needed]; old U.S. Highway 75 south of this junction was upgraded on the spot.[7]

The Gulf Freeway generally parallels State Highway 3 (old US 75) about 1 mile (1.5 km) to the west, bypassing La Marque, Dickinson and South Houston. It includes interchanges with several other freeways: the Emmett F. Lowry Expressway (Farm to Market Road 1764), NASA Road 1 Bypass (freeway under construction) and the Sam Houston Tollway, meeting the north end of State Highway 3 in southeastern Houston. (This part of SH 3 — on Winkler Drive and Monroe Road — is not part of old US 75.) A center reversible HOV lane begins just south of the Sam Houston Tollway.

I-45 and I-10 next to Downtown Houston

I-45 and I-10 next to Downtown Houston

In Houston, I-45 meets Interstate Highway 610 and State Highway 35 at a complicated interchange[8]. At the merge with Spur 5, a short freeway spur to the University of Houston, elevated collector-distributor roads (also part of Spur 5) begin. The C/D roads and the HOV lane end at Dowling Street, the original end of the Gulf Freeway. Just past Dowling Street is an interchange with U.S. Highway 59 (Eastex Freeway and Southwest Freeway) and State Highway 288 (South Freeway), after which I-45 technically becomes the North Freeway[9] as it runs along the northwest half of the block between Pierce Street and Gray Street as the Pierce Elevated.

The reversible high-occupancy vehicle lane begins in downtown Houston at the intersection of St. Joseph Parkway and Dowling Street, with easy access inbound to St. Joseph Parkway and outbound from Pierce Street. It runs down the median of the Gulf Freeway, mostly at the same level as the main lanes. Ramps are provided for access to and from the following roads:

* Eastwood Transit Center - full access

* Interstate Highway 610 north frontage road - full access

* Monroe Road and Monroe Park & Ride - full access

* Fuqua Park & Ride and South Point Park & Ride - full access

* Frontage roads north of Dixie Farm Road (Farm to Market Road 1959) - towards downtown, with a ramp stub for continuation

[edit] North Freeway

The North Freeway HOV begins in downtown Houston near the University of Houston–Downtown, with easy access inbound on Milam Street and outbound on Travis Street. Ramps and entrances are provided for access from the following roads:

* Interstate Highway 10 westbound exit and entrance only - full access

* Quitman Street - full access

* Airline Drive (to Crosstimbers Road) - full access

* N. Shepherd (to N. Shepherd Park & Ride) - full access

* Farm to Market Road 525 (Aldine Mail Route) - full access

* Kuykendahl Park & Ride - full access

* Farm to Market Road 1960 (to Spring Park & Ride) - full access

The HOV ends approximately one mile north of the FM1960 exit.

[edit] Schepps Freeway

The stretch of I-45 along the Julius Schepps Freeway in Dallas, from the Trinity River to Downtown Dallas, is elevated above the surrounding areas. As such, when ice storms hit the Dallas area (usually on average 1-2 times per year), the freeway is shut down, and traffic is diverted to State Highway 310 and U.S. Highway 175 which parallel I-45.

I-345 is just 1.4 miles[10] (2.3 km) long and connects the end of I-45 to the end of US 75 along the east side of downtown Dallas. It is signed northbound as US 75 and southbound as I-45.

[edit] Lane configuration

From south to north, the following are one-way lane counts are for mainlanes only:

* 3 lanes between Galveston and FM 1959

* 4 lanes between FM 1959 and US 59

* 3 lanes between US 59 and McKinney Street

* 4 lanes between McKinney Street and Beltway 8

* 5 lanes between Beltway 8 and Parramatta Lane

* 4 lanes between Parramatta Lane and S Loop 336, except between Spring Crossing Drive and Lake Woodlands Drive (5 lanes)

* 2 lanes between S Loop 336 and exit 243

* 3 lanes between exit 243 and US 175

* 5 lanes between US 175 and I-30

* 4 lanes between I-30 to the beginning of the Central Expressway

[edit] History

In the initial assignment of state highways in 1917, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston were connected by a branch of State Highway 2 (the Meridian Highway), which ran via Waco and Bryan and continued on to Galveston. The more direct route followed by I-45 was not initially part of the system between Richland and Huntsville;[11][12] this cutoff was added by 1919 as State Highway 32,[13] and U.S. Highway 75 was assigned to the alignment in 1926.[14] Prior to the coming of the Interstate Highway System in the late 1950s, the only improvements to US 75 in Texas beyond building a two-lane paved roadway were in the Houston and Dallas areas.[15] However, the highways in and near these cities included some of the first freeways in the state: the Gulf Freeway (Houston) and the Central Expressway (Dallas).

[edit] Gulf Freeway (Houston to Galveston)

The Galveston-Houston Electric Railway began operating an interurban between those cities on December 5, 1911, and last ran on October 31, 1936, though the Houston Electric Company, operator of Houston's city transit system, continued to run trains on the portion between downtown and Park Place. A proposal for a "super-highway" between the cities was first made in 1930, and Houston Mayor Oscar Holcombe began to work towards it later that decade. He announced an agreement with the Houston Electric Company on April 12, 1940, through which the company could convert its four remaining lines to buses, in exchange for the right-of-way used by the Park Place line. This line was last used on June 9, 1940, the last day of streetcar service in Houston;[16] the replacement is still operated by METRO as the 40 along Telephone Road.

Before the new highway was built, U.S. Highway 75 followed Galveston Road (now mostly State Highway 3), Broadway Street, and Harrisburg Boulevard into downtown Houston. State Highway 225 carried traffic from La Porte along La Porte Road to US 75 in Harrisburg, and State Highway 35 connected Alvin with downtown Houston along Telephone Road and Leeland Street.[17] Plans made in October 1943, when the Texas Transportation Commission signed an agreement with Houston and Harris County, referred to the new bypass as a relocation of US 75. Drawings were released by the state on January 31, 1946, and included almost continuous frontage roads, broken only at railroad crossings.[16] Although the freeway ended at Live Oak Street, a so-called "four-street distribution system"[18] of four one-way streets, timed for 30 miles per hour (50 km/h), carried traffic to Main Street.[19] Initially, the two southwestern streets - Pierce Street and Calhoun Avenue (now St. Joseph Parkway) - carried traffic towards the freeway, and the other two - Jefferson and Pease Streets - carried exiting traffic;[20] once the freeway was completed far enough to allow US 75 to be marked along it, Pease and Pierce Streets carried that highway to Fannin Street.[21]

The first freeway dedication in the state took place at 7 p.m. on September 30, 1948, at the overpass over Calhoun Road at the University of Houston. The roadway between downtown and Telephone Road was opened to traffic after speeches, but lacked an official name, being called the "Interurban Expressway", after the rail line that it replaced, by the press. Mayor Holcombe quickly started a contest to assign a name, and the city chose the winning entry on December 17, 1948. Sara Yancy of Houston Heights won $100 for her submission of "Gulf Freeway", named for the Gulf of Mexico that the highway would reach when completed. The freeway was extended to Griggs Road in February 1951, Reveille Street (onto which SH 35 was realigned) in July 1951, and was completed to the Galveston Causeway on August 2, 1952, with a ceremony on the bridge over Farm to Market Road 517 near Dickinson. However, beyond Reveille Street, the road was not built to freeway standards, with 32 at-grade intersections, though no traffic signals. The highway curved away from the old interurban right-of-way near Monroe Road, about where the Park Place streetcar line had ended. In December 1952, a short spur, now part of Interstate 610, was opened to connect with SH 225.[22] A three-way split in the northwest part of Park Place, near where Gulfgate Shopping Center opened in 1956, carried non-stop traffic to and from SH 35 and SH 225.[23][24][16] This split was also the location of a lane drop; the roadway carried six lanes (three in each direction) between Houston ond the interchange, and four beyond to Galveston. After the new US 75 was completed, the old road between downtown and South Houston was dropped from the state highway system, while the remainder became State Highway 3, connecting to the Gulf Freeway via Winkler Drive, effective August 20, 1952.[25]

The first major change was made in preparation for the North Freeway connection, when the directions of Calhoun Avenue and Jefferson Street were swapped so that they would alternate. A bridge, dated 1954, was built to carry traffic from Jefferson Street over traffic to Jefferson Street,[24] and US 75 was moved to Calhoun Avenue northbound,[26] soon crossing downtown on the one-way pair of Calhoun Avenue and Pierce Street to the new North Freeway.[27] A median barrier was added in 1956 to prevent crossover accidents. Southeast of downtown Houston, the at-grade intersections proved dangerous, and only two had been replaced with interchanges by 1959, when the Texas Highway Department began a program to upgrade the road to full freeway standards. Frontage roads would be required along the entire highway, since the state had not purchased access rights, and so abutting property owners were able to build driveways to the road. To accomplish this, traffic was shifted to the newly-built frontage roads so that the central main lanes could be reconstructed. This grade separation was completed from Houston to Almeda-Genoa Road (exit 34) in June 1959, Farm to Market Road 1959 (exit 30) in October 1964, Farm to Market Road 518 (exit 23) in December 1970, and Farm to Market Road 1764 (exit 15) in 1976. As the section beyond FM 1764 into Galveston had already been rebuilt,[28][24] this marked the completion of the Gulf Freeway as an actual freeway.[16]

Looking northwest along the Gulf Freeway towards downtown; the Spur 5 distributor lanes, completed in 1988, are to the right

Looking northwest along the Gulf Freeway towards downtown; the Spur 5 distributor lanes, completed in 1988, are to the right

As the first freeway in Texas, the standards of the Gulf Freeway soon became inadequate, with poor sight lines and little room to merge when entering. It also attracted development, such as Gulfgate Shopping City, the first mall in the Houston area, the Manned Spacecraft Center, and many residential developments. Heavy congestion began to affect the freeway by the early 1960s; two roughly parallel freeways - the Harrisburg Freeway and Alvin Freeway - were proposed at that time to relieve the traffic, but were not built. A short project to widen the road to six lanes between I-610 and Sims Bayou was completed in 1960, and ramp meters were installed in 1966. The I-610 interchange was rebuilt with direct connections for most movements in 1975. Plans to reconstruct the freeway near downtown began in 1972, taking about 170 houses and 22 businesses from the southwest side for the room to expand the main lanes and add parallel lanes for the Alvin Freeway. Local opposition was unsuccessful at stopping the project, and construction on this segment, and others to the southeast, took place in the 1980s. The lanes were shifted outward to make room for the transitway, which opened to I-610 on May 16, 1988. These lanes were inspired by the similar ones on the Shirley Highway in the Washington Metropolitan Area.[29] That year also marked the end of the reconstruction inside I-610, along with the elevated distribution lanes alongside the main lanes near downtown; the first short piece of the Alvin Freeway was finally connected to these in 1999. This project gave I-45 its current configuration, mostly eight main lanes wide, from Sims Bayou past I-610 to Griggs Road in 1981, to Telephone Road in 1982, to Lockwood Drive in 1985, and finally to downtown in 1988.[16]

However, this was not the end of construction on the Gulf Freeway. The highway beyond I-610 to FM 1959, which had just been upgraded in the 1950s and 1960s, saw an extension of the transitway to a temporary end near FM 1959, widening to eight lanes, and a large stack interchange at the Sam Houston Tollway. This reconstruction was completed between Almeda-Genoa Road and College Avenue in 1991, between College Avenue and Sims Bayou in 1994, and finally, in 1997, there was no construction anywhere on the entire length of the freeway when the tollway interchange was opened, along with the widening between Almeda-Genoa Road and FM 1959. A 1999 study recommended widening the entire stretch from the Sam Houston Tollway to Galveston to at least eight lanes. Construction to replace the Galveston Causeway began in mid-2003,[16] and work on a section through Webster, including a new interchange with the NASA Road 1 Bypass, began in mid-2007. Widening between Beltway 8 and Webster is expected to begin in 2011.[30]

[edit] North Freeway (Houston to Conroe)

The last alignment of US 75 before the North Freeway was built left downtown Houston to the northwest on Main Street, turning north at Airline Drive, and then northwest along the present alignment of I-45, then known as Stuebner Airline Road, Shepherd Drive, and East Montgomery Road.[26] The freeway replacement was authorized in stages between May 1945 and June 1952, when the Texas Transportation Commission adopted plans for a freeway all the way between Houston and Dallas. The North Freeway name was adopted in 1956; an unsuccessful proposal in 1965 would have renamed it the Dallas Freeway.[31] The first short piece of the freeway to open crossed Buffalo Bayou, connecting the two one-way pairs from the north end of the Gulf Freeway with the south end of Houston Avenue. This was opened on December 12, 1955, and allowed US 75 to bypass its run on Main Street;[27] it included interchanges with Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive. The next piece near downtown opened on July 24, 1962, leaving the 1955 freeway in the Allen Parkway interchange, passing east of Houston Avenue, and connected to an already-built portion at I-610. The six-lane Pierce Elevated, which occupies half a block on the southwest side of Pierce Street, required the acquisition of a number of commercial properties; the cost prevented the full block from being used. This portion opened on August 18, 1967, connecting the Gulf and North Freeways and bypassing the "four-street distribution system", which remains in its original form to this day.[32][16]

The first piece of the North Freeway to be built outside I-610 was an upgrade of existing US 75 on Stuebner Airline Road, between Airline Drive and Shepherd Drive, opened in December 1959. In April 1961, this was completed to the interchange with I-610, and on July 24, 1962 the downtown section was extended north to meet it. As each section opened, US 75 was moved to it, temporarily using I-610 to Airline Drive for about a year.[33] At the other end, US 75 was upgraded from Spring Creek at the north edge of Spring north to the San Jacinto River south of Conroe in 1960.[34] In between, the upgrade was completed from Farm to Market Road 525 to near Richey Road in December 1961, south to the 1959 segment in February 1963, and north to the 1960 segment in March 1963, completing the North Freeway except for the Pierce Elevated (1967). The freeway as initially built had eight lanes (four in each direction) between downtown and I-610, six to Farm to Market Road 1960, and four north of FM 1960.[16]

Like the Gulf Freeway, the North Freeway soon became congested. The oil boom of the 1970s resulted in large-scale residential development along the highway, most notably The Woodlands. Since the corridor was strongly directional, with 65% of peak-hour traffic going in the peak direction, a 9.6-mile (15.4 km) contraflow lane for buses and other high-occupancy vehicles (HOV) was implemented later that decade, opening on August 28, 1979 between downtown and Shepherd Drive (exit 56B). The facility, operating during both rush hour periods, occupied the leftmost lane of the other direction, and was separated from the other lanes with a movable pylon every 40 feet (12 m). In 1980, the existing center breakdown lanes were restriped for HOV traffic for about two miles (3 km) from the north end of the contraflow lane. However, off-peak traffic was increasing, and construction began in 1983 on a more permanent reversible transitway in the median. This, the second transitway in Houston (a month after the one on the Katy Freeway), opened on November 23, 1984, replacing the contraflow lane.[29][16]

Reconstruction of the main lanes and frontage roads to handle increased traffic began in 1982 just north of downtown. No lanes were added south of I-610, but the eight-lane cross section, with room for a transitway, was continued north as oonstruction progressed. Work was completed south of Airline Drive (exit 53) in about 1985, to Shepherd Drive (exit 56B) in 1987, and to Farm to Market Road 525 (exit 60A) in 1990; this last opening allowed the transitway to extend to just south of FM 525. The Hardy Toll Road, completed on June 28, 1988 between I-610 and I-45 near The Woodlands, added capacity to that part of the corridor, and in 1990 reconstruction was completed on a short piece of I-45 from the toll road into The Woodlands. Reconstruction continued from FM 525, reaching Airtex Boulevard (exit 63) in 1997, including part of the Sam Houston Tollway interchange (completed in 2003) and a transitway extension, Cypresswood Drive (exit 68) in 1998, extending the transit way to its present terminus, and the Hardy Toll Road (exit 72) in 2003. Work on the section through The Woodlands to Research Forest Drive (exit 77) was completed in 2001, including a direct connection to Woodlands Parkway, and in 2003 work was completed to Farm to Market Road 1488 (exit 81).[16] Construction is presently ongoing between FM 1488 and Loop 336 (exit 84), with completion planned for late 2008. Two more projects will extend eight lanes to Farm to Market Road 830 (exit 92), and another will take six lanes to the county line south of New Waverly, near State Highway 75 (exit 98).[35]

[edit] Schepps Freeway (Dallas) and to Richland

The Central Expressway was the first freeway in Dallas, built as a new alignment of US 75. It first opened between San Jacinto Street and Fitzhugh Avenue in 1949, and soon stretched south to Hutchins. However, the stretch through downtown ran along the surface, as did the part south of the bridge over the Trinity River, due to diversion of funds to the north portion.[36] By the late 1950s, a bypass to the east of the downtown section was planned.[37] By the time construction reached Hutchins, in about 1955, the state decided to build further segments to full freeway standards. By 1961, the freeway was complete between Hutchins and the State Highway 14 split at Richland, except for the bypass around Corsicana, which was built ca. 1964.[24][34] This freeway was mostly built along the existing US 75; one of the projects in Navarro County, near Corsicana, was the first Interstate project in Texas approved under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956.[38]

1955 "Yellow Book" plan for Interstates in Dallas

1955 "Yellow Book" plan for Interstates in Dallas

It was not until 1964 that I-345, extending I-45 north along the proposed Central Expressway bypass, was added as a proposed state highway.[10] I-45 and I-345 was built and opened in the 1970s, with the final section, between Lamar Street (exit 283A) and the Central Expressway (exit 283B),[24] opening on February 25, 1976.[39] At the north end, before it merged into the Central Expressway (which continued to carry US 75), I-345 straddled the bridges over Bryan Street and Ross Avenue, the latter the location of the opening ceremonies in 1949.[40] Because of their location, these two bridges were not replaced in the 1990s reconstruction of the North Central Expressway, and are the only surviving grade separations from the initial construction north from downtown.[24]

Reconstruction and widening to six lanes, from the Ellis-Navarro county line (between exits 243 and 244) north to State Highway 310 (exit 275), began in 1991.[41] The last section, near the north end, was completed in 2002.[citation needed]

[edit] Between Conroe and Richland

The first part of I-45 between Conroe and Richland was the bypass around Huntsville.[34]

The final piece of I-45 between the cities opened on October 13, 1971, for 12 miles (19 km) between Fairfield and Streetman.[38]

[edit] Exit list

# Destinations Notes

SH 87 - Downtown, East Beach Southbound exit and northbound entrance

1A Spur 342 (61st Street) / 71st Street – Scholes International Airport, West Beach

1B 71st Street Southbound exit and northbound entrance

1C FM 188 (Teichman Road) / SH 275 (Harborside Drive)

4 Village of Tiki Island

5 Frontage Road

6 Frontage Road Southbound exit only

7A SH 3 north / SH 146 north – Texas City, La Marque Northbound exit and southbound entrance

7B SH 6 west – Bayou Vista, Hitchcock Northbound exit and southbound entrance

7C Frontage Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

7 SH 6 / SH 146 – Texas City Southbound exit and northbound entrance

8 Frontage Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

9 Frontage Road Southbound exit and northbound entrance

10 FM 519 (Main Street)

11 Vauthier Road

12 FM 1765 – La Marque, Texas City

13 Johnny Palmer Road, Delany Road

15 FM 1764 / FM 2004 (Mall of the Mainland Parkway) – Hitchcock

16 FM 1764 east (Emmett F. Lowry Expressway) – Texas City Southbound exit and northbound entrance

17 Holland Road, Hughes Road

19 FM 517 / Hughes Road – Dickinson, Alvin

20 FM 646 – Santa Fe

22 Calder Drive, Brittany Bay Boulevard

23 FM 518 – League City

25 FM 528 / NASA 1 – Alvin, NASA

26 Bay Area Boulevard – University of Houston–Clear Lake

27 El Dorado Boulevard

29 FM 2351 (Clear Lake City Boulevard) – Friendswood

30 FM 1959 (Dixie Farm Road) – Ellington Field

31 Beltway 8 (Frontage Road) / FM 2553 (Scarsdale Boulevard)

32 Sam Houston Tollway

33 Beltway 8 (Frontage Road) / Fuqua Street

34 Almeda-Genoa Road, South Shaver Road

35 Clearwood Drive, Edgebrook Drive

36 Airport Boulevard, College Avenue

38 SH 3 (Monroe Road) / Bellfort Avenue

38B Howard Drive, Bellfort Avenue Southbound exit and northbound entrance

39 Park Place Boulevard, Broadway Boulevard

40A Frontage Road Northbound exit only

40B I-610 east to SH 225 – Pasadena Northbound exit and southbound entrance

40B I-610 / SH 35 south to SH 225 – Pearland, Alvin, Pasadena Southbound exit and northbound entrance

40C I-610 west Northbound exit and southbound entrance

41A Woodridge Drive

41B Griggs Road, Broad Street

US 90 Alt. (South Wayside Drive) Northbound exit is via exit 41B

43A Telephone Road

43B Tellepsen Street Northbound exit and southbound entrance

44A Elgin Street, Lockwood Drive, Cullen Boulevard – University of Houston Northbound exit and southbound entrance

44B Spur 5 south – University of Houston Southbound exit and northbound entrance

44C Cullen Boulevard – University of Houston Southbound exit and northbound entrance

45 Scott Street - Downtown Signed as exit 45A southbound

46 US 59 / SH 288 south – Cleveland, Lake Jackson, Freeport, Victoria Signed as exits 46A (north) and 46B (south)

47A Allen Parkway

47B Houston Avenue, Memorial Drive Northbound exit and southbound entrance

47C McKinney Street Southbound exit and northbound entrance

47D Dallas Street, Pierce Street Southbound exit and northbound entrance

48 I-10 (US 90) – Beaumont, San Antonio Signed as exits 48A (east) and 48B (west)

49A Quitman Street Southbound exit and northbound entrance

49B North Main Street, Houston Avenue

50A Patton Street Southbound exit is via exit 50

50B Cavalcade Street, Link Road Signed as exit 50 southbound

51 I-610

52A Frontage Road Southbound exit only

52B Crosstimbers Road

53 Airline Drive

54 Tidwell Road

55A Parker Road, Yale Street

55B Little York Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

56A Canino Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

56B Spur 261 (North Shepherd Drive) / Little York Road Southbound exit and northbound entrance

57A Gulf Bank Road

57B SH 249 (West Mount Houston Road)

59 West Road

60A FM 525 (Aldine Bender Road) / Fallbrook Road

60B Beltway 8 (Frontage Road) Southbound exit is via exit 60A

60B Beltway 8 east / Sam Houston Tollway west – Bush Intercontinental Airport Signed as exits 60C (west) and 60D (east) northbound

61 Greens Road

62 Kuykendahl Road, Rankin Road

63 Airtex Drive

64 Richey Road

66A FM 1960 – Addicks, Humble Signed as exit 66 southbound

66B Hollow Tree Street, Paramatta Lane Northbound exit and southbound entrance

68 Cypresswood Drive, Holzwarth Road, Louetta Road

70A FM 2920 – Tomball

70B Spring Stuebner Road

72B Hardy Toll Road south Signed as exit 72 northbound

72A Spring Crossing Drive Southbound exit and northbound entrance

73 Rayford Road, Sawdust Road

76 Robinson Road, Woodlands Parkway Signed as exits 76A (Robinson Road) and 76B (Woodlands Parkway) northbound

77 Lake Woodlands Drive, Research Forest Drive, Tamina Road

79 SH 242 (College Park Drive, Needham Road)

81 FM 1488 – Magnolia, Hempstead

83 Crighton Road, Camp Strake Road, River Plantation Drive

84 SH 75 north (Frazier Street) / Loop 336

85 FM 2854 / Gladstell Street

87 SH 105 / FM 2854 – Conroe

88 Loop 336 – Navasota, Cleveland

90 FM 3083 (Teas Nursery Road)

91 League Line Road

92 FM 830 (Seven Coves Drive)

94 FM 1097 – Willis

95 Longstreet Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

98 SH 75 / Shepard Hill Road, Danville Road

102 SH 150 / FM 1374 / FM 1375 – New Waverly Signed as exit 103 southbound

109 PR 40 – Huntsville State Park

112 SH 75 – Sam Houston State University

113 SH 19 – Riverside, Crockett Northbound exit and southbound entrance

114 FM 1374 (Montgomery Road)

116 US 190 east (11th Street) / SH 30 South end of US 190 overlap

118 SH 75 / FM 1791 – Sam Houston State University, Huntsville

123 FM 1696

132 FM 2989

136 Spur 67

142 US 190 west / SH 21 – Bryan, Crockett North end of US 190 overlap

146 SH 75 – Madisonville

152 SH OSR – Normangee

156 FM 977 – Leona

164 SH 7 – Centerville

178 US 79 – Buffalo

180 SH 164 – Groesbeck

189 SH 179 – Teague

197 US 84 – Fairfield, Teague

198 FM 27 – Fairfield, Wortham

206 FM 833

211 FM 80 – Streetman, Kirvin

213 SH 75 / FM 246 – Streetman, Wortham

218 FM 1394 – Richland No southbound exit

219A SH 14 – Richland, Mexia No northbound exit

219B Frontage Road Southbound exit only

220 Frontage Road

221 Frontage Road

225 FM 739 – Angus, Mustang

228A 15th Street Southbound exit is via exit 228B

228B I-45 Bus. north / Frontage Road – Corsicana

229 US 287 south – Palestine South end of US 287 overlap

231 SH 31 – Waco, Athens

232 Roane Road, East 5th Avenue

235B I-45 Bus. south – Corsicana Southbound exit and northbound entrance

235A Frontage Road Signed as exit 235 northbound

237 Frontage Road

238 FM 1603

239 FM 1126

242 Calhoun Street - Rice

243 Frontage Road

244 FM 1182

246 FM 1183 – Alma

247 US 287 north – Waxahachie, Fort Worth North end of US 287 overlap

249 I-45 Bus. north / FM 85 – Ennis

251A FM 1181 (Creechville Road)

251B SH 34 – Kaufman, Italy

253 I-45 Bus. south – Ennis

255 FM 879 – Garrett

258 I-45 Bus. north / Parker Hill Road – Palmer

259 FM 813 (Jefferson Street)

260 I-45 Bus. south / Frontage Road – Palmer

262 Frontage Road

263A Loop 561 – Trumbull

263B Frontage Road Northbound exit and southbound entrance

264 Frontage Road Southbound exit and northbound entrance

265 I-45 Bus. north Northbound exit and southbound entrance

266 FM 660 (5th Street)

267 Frontage Road

268 I-45 Bus. south / Malloy Bridge Road

269 Mars Road

270 Belt Line Road

271 Pleasant Run Road

272 Fulghum Road

273 Wintergreen Road

274 Dowdy Ferry Road, Palestine Street

275 SH 310 north Northbound exit and southbound entrance

276 I-20 – Fort Worth, Shreveport Signed as exits 276A (west) and 276B (east)

277 Simpson Stuart Road

279 Loop 12 Signed as exits 279A (east) and 279B (west) northbound

280 Illinois Avenue, Linfield Street

281 Overton Road Southbound exit and northbound entrance

283A Lamar Street

283B Pennsylvania Avenue, Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard Northbound exit and southbound entrance

283B US 175 east / Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard – Kaufman Southbound exit and northbound entrance

284A I-30

284B Main Street west, Elm Street Northbound exit and southbound entrance

284C Live Oak Street - Downtown (Central Expressway south) Southbound exit and northbound entrance; there are two southbound exits, a left exit serving traffic on US 75 south and a right exit serving traffic from Spur 366

285 Bryan Street east Northbound exit and southbound entrance

285 Ross Avenue Southbound exit and northbound entrance

286A To I-35E (Spur 366) – Denton Northbound exit and southbound entrance

US 75 north (Central Expressway) – McKinney Northbound exit and southbound entrance

[edit] References

1. ^ Texas Department of Transportation, Highway Designation File: Interstate Highway No. 45

2. ^ Tony Hartzel, The Dallas Morning News, Road names honor Texas leaders, July 7, 2002

3. ^ American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, List of Control Cities for Use in Guide Signs on Interstate Highways, 2001

4. ^ TexasFreeway - Interstate 45 South, the Gulf Freeway

5. ^ Houston Streetcars - Galveston-Houston Interurban

6. ^ Texas State Highway Department, General Highway Map - Harris County Texas, Supplementary Sheet 3 of 4, 1936 (revised to November 23, 1939

7. ^ Texas State Highway Department, General Highway Map - Galveston County Texas, 1936 (revised to November 23, 1939)

8. ^ Satellite image of Gulf Freeway and Interstate 610 interchange. Google Maps. Last accessed September 25, 2006.

9. ^ Clearing up confusion of multiple highway names Houston Chronicle, November 20, 2005.

10. ^ a b Texas Department of Transportation, Highway Designation File: Interstate Highway No. 345

11. ^ Commerce Journal, Highway Commission Adopts 25 Highways, July 6, 1917

12. ^ State Highway Department, Map Showing Proposed System of State Highways as Adopted June 1917

13. ^ Texas State Highway Department, Highway Map: State of Texas, October 1, 1919

14. ^ United States System of Highways, November 11, 1926

15. ^ Texas Highway Department, Official Travel Map, 1954 Edition

16. ^ a b c d e f g h i j Slotboom, Erik (2003). "Chapter 4: The Spokes", Houston Freeways: A Historical and Visual Journey. Oscar F. "Erik" Slotboom. ISBN 0974160539.

17. ^ Rand McNally & Company, Houston, Texas, 1946, published by Sinclair Oil

18. ^ Chamber of Commerce of the United States, Business Action for Better Cities, 1952, p. 66

19. ^ American Association of State Highway Officials, Proceedings: Convention Group Meetings, Papers and Discussions, Kansas City, Missouri, 1952

20. ^ Texas Department of Transportation archive library, aerial view of the downtown end of the Gulf Freeway, 1953

21. ^ Rand McNally & Company, Houston, Texas, 1953, published by Sinclair Oil

22. ^ Slotboom, Erik (2003). "Chapter 5: The Loops", Houston Freeways: A Historical and Visual Journey. Oscar F. "Erik" Slotboom. ISBN 0974160539.

23. ^ Texas Department of Transportation archive library, aerial view of the Gulfgate Shopping Center, ca. 1960s

24. ^ a b c d e f Federal Highway Administration, National Bridge Inventory, 2006

25. ^ Texas Department of Transportation, Highway Designation File: State Highway No. 3

26. ^ a b General Drafting Company, Houston, 1955, published by Humble Oil

27. ^ a b General Drafting Company, Houston, 1958, published by Humble Oil

28. ^ Texas State Highway Department, General Highway Map: Galveston County, Texas, 1957 (state highways revised to January 1, 1961)

29. ^ a b Slotboom, Erik (2003). "Chapter 6: Freeway Mass Transit", Houston Freeways: A Historical and Visual Journey. Oscar F. "Erik" Slotboom. ISBN 0974160539.

30. ^ Texas Department of Transportation, Reconstruction of IH 45—Gulf Freeway in Webster Announced, June 11, 2007

31. ^ Slotboom, Erik (2003). "Chapter 1: Building the System", Houston Freeways: A Historical and Visual Journey. Oscar F. "Erik" Slotboom. ISBN 0974160539.

32. ^ Slotboom, Erik (2003). "Chapter 3: Downtown Freeways", Houston Freeways: A Historical and Visual Journey. Oscar F. "Erik" Slotboom. ISBN 0974160539.

33. ^ General Drafting Company, Houston, Texas, 1961, published by Humble Oil

34. ^ a b c General Drafting Company, Texas, 1961, published by Humble Oil

35. ^ Rad Sallee, Houston Chronicle, Rail on Richmond idea first rejected back in '83, April 23, 2006

36. ^ Urban History: Central Expressway, accessed August 2007

37. ^ Dallas Times Herald, City Seeks Freeway Project, June 22, 1958

38. ^ a b Federal Highway Administration, Previous Interstate Facts of the Day, accessed August 2007

39. ^ Dallas Morning News, Interstate 45 to Open Feb. 25, February 15, 1976

40. ^ Dallas Morning News, North Central Turns 35 Today, August 19, 1984

41. ^ Tony Hartzel, Dallas Morning News, Road to Better Driving, October 29, 2000

[edit] External links

* METRO - Gulf Freeway HOV system & map

edit

Main Interstate Highways (multiples of 5 in pink) Interstate Highway marker

4 5 8 10 12 15 16 17 19 20 22 24 25 26 27 29 30

35 37 39 40 43 44 45 49 55 57 59 64 65 66 68 69

70 71 72 73 74 75 76 (W) 76 (E) 77 78 79 80 81 82

83 84 (W) 84 (E) 85 86 (W) 86 (E) 87 88 (W) 88 (E) 89 90

91 93 94 95 96 97 99 (238) H-1 H-2 H-3

Unsigned A-1 A-2 A-3 A-4 PRI-1 PRI-2 PRI-3

Lists Primary Main - Intrastate - Suffixed - Future - Gaps

Auxiliary Main - Future - Unsigned

Other Standards - Business - Bypassed

[hide]

v • d • e

Freeways in the Houston area

Radial

South (SH 288) · Fort Bend · Southwest (US 59) · Spur 527 · Westpark · Katy (I-10) · Northwest (US 290) · Tomball (SH 249) · North (I-45) · Hardy · Eastex (US 59) · Crosby (US 90) · Baytown East (I-10) · Spur 330 · La Porte (SH 225) · Lowry (FM 1764) · Gulf (I-45) · Alvin (Spur 5)

Belt

I-610 · Sam Houston (Beltway 8) · SH 146 · Grand (SH 99)

Other limited-access roads

S. Main (US 90 Alt.) · Allen · Memorial · Westheimer (parts are also FM 1093)

Other articles

Road construction and renovation in Houston

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_45"

Categories: Interstate Highway System | Interstate Highways in Texas | Transportation in Houston, Texas | Transportation in Galveston, Texas | Highways in Dallas, Texas

But Husky, Fox and Spider are too uber cool, the mod bot tries to shoot them but the bullets all miss, and Night Fox stops one of the bullets with his hand, he notices some hot chick might get caught in the crossfire, so he saves her and then takes the bots money, jumps into his Elegy and drives off, leaving everyone else stranded!

Night Fox lets Husky and the hot unnamed chick go with him to Los Angeles, where they go crazy in the streets, Husky gets into a chase on the Freeway while Night Fox goes Skydiving from the Library Tower.

TNF and Spider-Vice's story will continue soon.

Edited by TNF

But there is a twist, the Spider we saw was a hologram, and he is alive and just arrived.

Jack Thompson was behind the fake, Night Fox is about to finish him off, suddenly, Raindancer arrives at the scene, takes out a double barrelled shotgun and shoots jt.

Night Fox is pissed off, he beats Raindancer while Husky robs a Restaurant and steals all the steak, Night Fox then takes the hot chicks and once again leaves everyone stranded, but sends the others a Taxi whihc will take them to his home in Bel-Air!