2009: The Year of The Blu-Ray

Deji

I just don't get it! What's so special about 2009 that they have to release LOADS of things in that same year!? Is there some sort of special awards thing at the end of the year!?

Just a few random picks of films I've heard about over the last 2 years... That's right, two years! That's how long they've been announcing 2009 releases for...

• Toy Story 3-D - I never expected it...
  • Ice Age 3 - Dinosaurs came AFTER the Ice Age!?
  • Splinter Cell - Yup, aparenlty they're making a movie. Youtube search it.
  • Final Destination 4 - Only horror I'd ever watch were Final Destinations... Still think 4 will be pushin it though
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - New it was comin sometime... But why not this year?
  • Prince Of Persia - Another Game > Film thing. I don't know if it'd look good without being animated though...
  • Ace Ventura 3 - How long has it been?
  • Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder - Yay! But... Can't it come out in the next month like the other 3 did?
  • Fast & Furious - Didn't they already make this?

That's just the films I MAY watch...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2009_films

They don't have some of the films I've listed and heard of... But when has Wikipedia ever been that up to date? :P

It's not the amount of 2009 releases I'm suprised about. It's the fact that thes could've been made THIS year since most of them have been up since early 2007, yet if you click on next year, you won't find many films at all... As well as the fact there are so many promising movies. It'll be a busy day erm... Buying these. These are just the announced releases too. There should be many more unnanounced films :D

EDIT: Actually, seems Prince of Persia was delayed :(

Edited by Deji

Yeah. I hate blueray, its completly and uterly useful. They make an outragously overpriced console, and then make it so you have to buy a difernt kind of DVD... The PS2 used normal DVDs so why not the PS3?

I thought Blue Ray worked on newer DVD players as well? And I thought PS3's could play normal DVD's too...

Blu-Ray is suppose to be more better, through quality-wise.

I'm not a Blu-Ray owner, but at some point it does benefit those who have the money and have the technology to run it, so at some point it is good, for those who have the money. <_< I don't really care if these movies/games get released next year tbh.

Plus don't forget that developers are greedy, they will release it so people have options to choose from.

Yeah. I hate blueray, its completly and uterly useful. They make an outragously overpriced console, and then make it so you have to buy a difernt kind of DVD... The PS2 used normal DVDs so why not the PS3?

I thought Blue Ray worked on newer DVD players as well? And I thought PS3's could play normal DVD's too...

PS3 can play Blu-ray, DVD, CD etc etc etc. Also how is it pointless? You get much better looking quality movies and there's also more storage. Don't go bitching on about the price of the PS3 as well, it's actually the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market.

Because 25Gb > 4.5Gb = HD Video. Also the hardware has to be upgraded from time to time. Same like Cd >DVD and now to Blu ray. Also Blu ray players are available, so its not necessary that you have to purchase a Ps3 to play it.

*puts on arnie voice* STOP WHINING! STOP IT!

lol.

honestly though, theres no need to say stuff like that. its not like you can be a hd-dvd fanboy, so i mean...what then? dvd is only 576p or 480p (depending on region), but bluray is 7.1 full hd 1080p. holds a ton more etc.

if you had watched a movie on blu-ray then watched it on DVD, i assure you, you wouldnt be saying that.

in australia, theres a samsung bluray player for like $400 or something. not on special. ps3 is still 650 or 700, so there :P

dont forget that iirc, blu-ray WAS sony's sorta invention / idea thing...it would be stupid for them to not put a bluray drive in ps3

Edited by WRX22B1998

*puts on arnie voice* STOP WHINING! STOP IT!

lol.

honestly though, theres no need to say stuff like that. its not like you can be a hd-dvd fanboy, so i mean...what then? dvd is only 576p or 480p (depending on region), but bluray is 7.1 full hd 1080p. holds a ton more etc.

if you had watched a movie on blu-ray then watched it on DVD, i assure you, you wouldnt be saying that.

in australia, theres a samsung bluray player for like $400 or something. not on special. ps3 is still 650 or 700, so there :P

dont forget that iirc, blu-ray WAS sony's sorta invention / idea thing...it would be stupid for them to not put a bluray drive in ps3

Yup, they helped invent it I believe. I bought Sweeney Todd on Blu-Ray, IT'S AMAZING! :D First time I've watched it, I didn't even know it was a musical but I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It looked that much better in 1080P.

Well it is sorta taking off here (i think)...the mentions of internet based downloads (like downloading movies from iTunes store etc), it just won't work here i think. Not with the download allowances that we get , and the respective prices, (i think it is $65 a month for us, for cable 12gb onpeak/24gb off), movies in HD quality would be huge, a 720P tv show was like 1.1GB, so 1080p with surround sound would be even bigger...you would use up your monthly allowance just with a couple movies...