McAfee SiteAdvisor Rating

The last time I was on here, I noticed a change in the McAfee SiteAdvisor rating applet that sits in the lower right corner of my Firefox3 screen. It changed from the previous rating of green to yellow. Mousing over it, the popup said their tests had shown some downloads that might be considered adware/spyware. So I'm posting this for the people running this site so they can be made aware of this and do what they will with the info.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with downloads. This rating change may simply be due to a few harmless reasons like false positives or some malcontents, etc.. However, if others have this same applet, it's available for Firefox and IE7, and see this they may worry needlessly about returning here or joining up. For this reason, I thought it might be a good idea to make mention so steps could be taken to correct this.

The last time I was on here, I noticed a change in the McAfee SiteAdvisor rating applet that sits in the lower right corner of my Firefox3 screen. It changed from the previous rating of green to yellow. Mousing over it, the popup said their tests had shown some downloads that might be considered adware/spyware. So I'm posting this for the people running this site so they can be made aware of this and do what they will with the info.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with downloads. This rating change may simply be due to a few harmless reasons like false positives or some malcontents, etc.. However, if others have this same applet, it's available for Firefox and IE7, and see this they may worry needlessly about returning here or joining up. For this reason, I thought it might be a good idea to make mention so steps could be taken to correct this.

I'm a member there, and I think that you can add a comment about the site regarding this matter. Yes, there are some downloads that may bring up any false positives or something, but I don't think that this site has things that may harm your PC. Chris doesn't have control over the ads displayed here, but if you want to play safe, you may use an ad blocker to filter out unwanted content (and possibly malware) while posting or browsing here...

With the downloads, there are a lot of tools in there which 'hack' your system in order to change the game. For example, trainers literally alter the contents of your RAM to change in-game variables. Anti-virus software detect this and report it. These are all tested to a certain degree before being approved, and most likely all of them are completely harmless.

So the reports are mostly correct - they do use virus-like techniques - but it's harmless, that's just how they work. You know where it came from and what it does, so you know it's safe to run.

Thanks for letting us know anyway. Perhaps we should put an explanation in the downloads area?