Favorite Guitarists Thread

tilly

Wow..... You get SO SERIOUS about this. No, the guitar isn't an olympic competition. The guitar... Is fun.... That's what it is. It's music. It's to make you feel good, or feel something, at least. What it truly isn't, is a fucking elitist war over who has more "soul".

I guess I am just very serious about music. No it is not a war, I just don't want somebody to miss out on real musical soul. If they think Dragonforce has soul, they deserve some enlightening.

Funny you mention elitist, since I haven't actually mentioned myself or my favorites in an argument, but only as a referral.

There's no need to be so serious about it. Really. And oh my GOD, just because we believe that someone has soul and you believe otherwise doesn't mean we have never listened to music with soul. Buddy, more than half of my theory on LIFE revolves around music. No one needs "enlightened" by you. Because, well, in terms of music, who the fuck are you? Honestly. What gives you the power to think you need to "enlighten" other people? Are you in the music industry? Have you spent some various amounts of years in full music study? WHAT, "enlighten" me, makes you so fucking special to the term music.

THAT, is why you're coming off "elitist".

Really you can't think that the guitarist for MCR has more soul?

Lol I really don't understand why you guys are dragging MCR and myself into this Dragonforce vendetta. Dragonforce has soul, I'm not saying they don't - I never did, in fact I was never part of this argument... not sure why you guys mentioned them. It's just a matter of opinion.

We're dragging MCR into this, because we're confused at why Dragonforce is being attacked but MCR isn't. We never pulled you into it. We just pulled a band you posted into it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think music with soul may have many different meanings for people.

I don't like Dragonforce, just not my thing I don't like MCR aswell. Why? To me (don't start bitching, I'm expressing MY opinion not establishing my opinions as rules):

Dragonforce:

Sound cheesy, un interesting and way too over rated. I haven't heard all of their songs, but I've heard a few. And to me, Dragonforce are to heavy metal what Staind, POD, Nickelback, Creed are to modern rock.

MCR:

Sound typical. End. Nothing refreshing or fun comes out of there.

I don't question these musicians commitment or passion to their music though. If they live and die for their music I don't think they should stop doing what they do, but I won't buy their records for sure.

To keep on topic:

Nick Valensi (The Strokes):

NickValensi-2.jpg

Maybe if you had the time and patience, or ability to read what I have to say your response to my post would have answered my issue at hand. Dragonforce plays fast, because that's how they like to play. They still do have soul, with all the effort and feeling they put behind their music. They also have a good tone and a lot of talent. However, that is all completely beyond the point of my last post. I know you are calming not to have a personal vendetta against their music but that is very hard to believe since they are the only guitarist you have ragged on this entire time. Really you can't think that the guitarist for MCR has more soul?

Did anyone ever say that MCR had soul? If they did than I missed it. You should see them live, it's completely different from their studio albums. I don't base a bands ability on albums, but by listening to or watching them live.

You mentioned effort and feeling, I guess they are both opinions that I cannot argue. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could also say that the sound of a washing machine has soul, or the sound of a car alarm, but that is irrelevant. All I want to say is that if you are actually looking for soul, you might want broaden your listening.

There's no need to be so serious about it. Really. And oh my GOD, just because we believe that someone has soul and you believe otherwise doesn't mean we have never listened to music with soul. Buddy, more than half of my theory on LIFE revolves around music. No one needs "enlightened" by you. Because, well, in terms of music, who the fuck are you? Honestly. What gives you the power to think you need to "enlighten" other people? Are you in the music industry? Have you spent some various amounts of years in full music study? WHAT, "enlighten" me, makes you so fucking special to the term music.

THAT, is why you're coming off "elitist".

I don't think I'm special at all. Even if I didn't have any history in music I could see that Dragonforce has a lack of soul. Also, I won't be the one enlightening you at all, the music will. I have no power over you musically or socially, but I have the same mindset as you do. Music is what makes half of life interesting.

And in terms of experience in music, get ready for a story.

Starting when I was young I was always surrounded by music and musically talented people. My whole family played at least one instrument and music was a very large part of my life. I remember when I was young I used to constantly listen to Kenny Loggins and John Denver (My only two tapes when I was a toddler). I have been playing piano on and off for 9 years and although I learned a lot about music, I never really got technically skilled. I also had music theory and music appreciation near the end of elementary school. Later I started playing guitar and have been playing and taking lessons once a week for seven years. Just this year started having 2 lessons a week with 2 different teachers, the teacher that I had previously teaching about theory, jazz, classical and probably everything you could think of, and the new one strictly for metal and rock. But both teachers are constantly teaching me that talent is not in speed, but in soul, and thats where I focus my listening. Throughout middleschool I took 3 different music classes. One useless guitar class, one sort of useful percussion class and one very useful theory class. Last year (I'm a sophomore in highschool) I joined many bands and tried very hard to actually establish a legitimate cover/original band, but everybody was too busy getting high and going to single digit populated parties. In the summer of 2008 I joined a large student jazz band at a local high school orchestrated by a well revered conductor and jazz player. We were put into combo bands (a band with many different instruments) and we created two original songs, one sort of alternative rock song that I didn't have much part of except for the solo, and one fun jazz/waltz/metal crossover which was very fun to create and perform. They invited me to come tour with the whole jazz band in France but I declined because I would have to miss the last month of school. This year I am attending one music genesis class which I think also has a lot of elements of music appreciation. We first studied music notation and reading plus basic theory (notes, octaves, progressions, chords) and now we are studying music from every era, studying about 10 different styles and countries for each era. I have probably listened and learned about 100 different genres of music but really enjoyed playing a few, although the ones I didn't like still gave me a lot of experience.

To sum my boring memoir up, I have always paid attention to soul and composition more than technicality and speed. Sure you can say that Dragonforce has soul, but that is a matter of opinion from what you have heard before (that is why I mentioned that "+44 Smashmouth" thing.) I am deeply sorry if I seem like an elitist or dick to you, but it is sad to me to see someone who can respect soul, but is looking in the wrong places. If Dragonforce has all the soul you need, then this will be all, but you really don't know what your missing out on.

Again, I apologize for being so serious on this, music is just very important to me.

If you want proof of my ability I could upload a few songs I have made, but I don't want to hijack my own topic.

Oh my god dude. You don't pay attention. Just because someone says Dragonforce has soul that means we listen to absolutely nothing else? What the fuck? Did I not say this same exact thing the last time you mentioned that?

And yes, the way you're talking and acting, you're making it seem like, "Well, I only listen to guitarists with SOUL and anyone who does anything else is just a stupid little ignorant pissant who needs to learn real music!" That's REALLY what you're sounding like, BTW.

Oh my god dude. You don't pay attention. Just because someone says Dragonforce has soul that means we listen to absolutely nothing else? What the fuck? Did I not say this same exact thing the last time you mentioned that?

And yes, the way you're talking and acting, you're making it seem like, "Well, I only listen to guitarists with SOUL and anyone who does anything else is just a stupid little ignorant pissant who needs to learn real music!" That's REALLY what you're sounding like, BTW.

Why waste your time on Dragonforce? I guess that Dragonforce actually has enough soul for you.

No I just find soul very high on the list of musical importance. I am actually currently listening Dream Theater which has a lot of speed and technicality but it's technicality and speed does not compromise it's soul.

No, Dream Theater has soul, I just used it against your "ONLY soul, NOTHING else" comment. I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to something without soul, I listen to a lot of 4/4 major techno, which most of are pretty soulless, but I don't say that they have soul.

You say they have soul, I say they don't. Thats it. Very hard thing to argue since it is all in opinion, but this one is pretty obvious.

I guess nobody wins.

Thanks for the argument, Spaz. Got me motivated to make a life story. :awesome:

Making it useful:

Don Ross

Erik Mongrain

Andres Godoy (One armed guitarist!)

Pat Metheny (42 string guitar!)

Steve Hackett (Genesis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW_7YyKawbw

Bob Brozman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At6-JmIS2nY (He sings in like 3 languages and plays 20 different styles)

Alex Lifeson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXCZvRNgLnI

Eddie Van Halen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DNtoruMCc

Eric Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh1P0earDU

Steve Vai

Yngwie Malmsteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5FAcd2sbM...feature=related

Neil Zaza

Tony MacAlpine

Michael Angelo Batio

Steve Stevens

I can't stand Michael Angelo Batio.

Don't fucking know why though.

I liked the one armed guitarrist though.

But that's a good list I'd say. I just don't like Batio.

He's probably the lowest on my list, but when hes not playing super fast he sounds pretty good. But he is very clean when he is fast and I like how hes all about putting on a good show.

Okay, I think it's time I put foot down and end this shit, at least in THIS topic. Dipshits, we have a "Bitch About Bands You Don't Like and Don't Give a Shit if Someone Else Does Because Your Favorite Band and Taste in Music Are So Fucking Awesome" topic. Use that.

Now, as a feeble attempt to stay on topic, let me add Steve Vai and Jimi Hendrix. No, I'm not gonna add any pictures. You know who these guys are.

Now, as a feeble attempt to stay on topic, let me add Steve Vai and Jimi Hendrix. No, I'm not gonna add any pictures. You know who these guys are.

You forgot Matt from the Feed Dogs.

(I know, I'm a bad person.)

I'm too old, fat & lazy to read back through this. Did anyone mention anyone mention Joe Satriani? His "Surfin' w/ the

Alien is a must have.

The played most of that entirely different anyways... To me it seems they tried to change the song up a bit and failed. Big deal.

And some bands can't play live. Big fucking deal. Honestly, can't you just not care, as long as they are enjoying what they do and someone is enjoying how they sound? You come from a "professional music" family, don't you?

The played most of that entirely different anyways... To me it seems they tried to change the song up a bit and failed. Big deal.

And some bands can't play live. Big fucking deal. Honestly, can't you just not care, as long as they are enjoying what they do and someone is enjoying how they sound? You come from a "professional music" family, don't you?

I don't care. They have fun, someone enjoys how they sound.

Soul or skill? I won't even try.

They are dicks too!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4He7sjd1w8I...feature=related

Eric Johnson

ericjohnson-austincitylimit.jpg

Edited by tilly

You're confusing feeling soul from a musician/song with the person themselves actually having soul. Just because you don't feel soul from something doesn't mean it isn't there. He might be feeling soul from what he does. Just because YOU don't feel it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Soul isn't something that can be defined like that, so don't try to.

And you sure do have to run them down a lot for someone who "Doesn't care".

HOWEVER..... You started bitching about Dragonforce.... And NO ONE ever said, "DRAGONFORCE HAS SO MUCH SOUL I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!"

But again.... You're still trying to put a basic definition on "soul", and you're failing to realize you not feeling soul from something doesn't mean it isn't there. That is true for ALL things, not just music. And before you retort with more "STOP SAYING DRAGONFORCE HAS SOUL!" bullshit, I'm not in any way saying they do. But I'm also not saying they don't.

It's not because it's fast, it's because they have no "soul", the only thing they have is fast playing and a lot of effects....

And btw it doesn't matter to me, I wasn't even talking to you. I have no problem about people liking Dragonforce, I'm just expressing my opinion, you can keep on listening whatever you like...

Dragonforce still has a lot of soul.

I didn't start it, and somebody did say that, as a response to somebody else.

Yeah I agree with you that soul is in the ear of the beholder.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dragonforce doesn't appear to have soul to me.

What music do you listen to anyways, Spaz?

It's not because it's fast, it's because they have no "soul", the only thing they have is fast playing and a lot of effects....

And btw it doesn't matter to me, I wasn't even talking to you. I have no problem about people liking Dragonforce, I'm just expressing my opinion, you can keep on listening whatever you like...

Dragonforce still has a lot of soul.

I didn't start it, and somebody did say that, as a response to somebody else.

Yeah I agree with you that soul is in the ear of the beholder.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dragonforce doesn't appear to have soul to me.

What music do you listen to anyways, Spaz?

Lol @ ear of beholder.

And me? Shit, I can't classify what I listen to. My playlists usually range from various types of rock, to various types of rap, to rap-rock hybrids, various electronica types, funk, experimental shit... My favorite band, however, is The Beatles. And too many sub-genres to even remember. Usually, by rule, if it sounds good/cool/interesting/fun/etc. I'll listen to it. However, I do have exceptions.

But in general, I guess I listen to music.

Based on principle I can't find myself liking Bumblefoot, just because I can't stand the new GnR.....

And I currently don't play any instruments. Would like to pick up drums though((mainly thanks to Rock Band, but I always have the bad habit of drumming on shit. Mainly my steering wheel)). And we have a few guitars laying around, a violin, and a keyboard.