French Forum

_Ray

This is a forum just for random conversation.... (IN FRENCH)

P.S., I am an American but find it fun to speak French and have them laugh at me for my lack of French Skill....

C'est un forum juste pour la conversation au hasard.... (DANS LE FRANÇAIS)

P.S., je suis un américain, mais trouve l'amusement pour parler le français et les faire rire à moi pour mon manque d'Adresse française....

This is a forum just for random conversation.... (IN FRENCH)

P.S., I am an American but find it fun to speak French and have them laugh at me for my lack of French Skill....

C'est un forum juste pour la conversation au hasard.... (DANS LE FRANÇAIS)

P.S., je suis un américain, mais trouve l'amusement pour parler le français et les faire rire à moi pour mon manque d'Adresse française....

Perhaps this should belong in the Serious chat forum....

Peut-être cela devrait appartenir dans le forum de bavardage Sérieux....

You only posted this 22 minutes ago... this isn't a huge forum, you have to be patient for replies and stuff. Plus a lot of our members are from Europe and it's pretty late there..

I didnt say I was suprised I hadnt gotten a reply, I just said I dont think a lot of people around here speak French.... :lolbounce:

You only posted this 22 minutes ago... this isn't a huge forum, you have to be patient for replies and stuff. Plus a lot of our members are from Europe and it's pretty late there..

I didnt say I was suprised I hadnt gotten a reply, I just said I dont think a lot of people around here speak French.... :lolbounce:

Oh don't worry, I noticed some members earlier in some random topic posting in french. They'll be in here sooner or later.

Oh don't worry, I noticed some members earlier in some random topic posting in french. They'll be in here sooner or later.

Yeah, me, Bear and a little bit of Misho.

-

Right now I can't be bothered with French, I woke up 20 minutes ago.

Excusez-Moi mais je suis fatigue. Je ferai en plus retard.

I didn't notice he said that. There are quite a few ways to say "in" in French.

à for in/to/at

dans for in a building or vicinity smaller than a city

en for a language, form of transport. This is peculiar because it can also mean "by", for example: "Je suis allé en voiture" - "I went by car"

Well, think about it this way. You can change "I went by car", to "I went in a car". It's still kind of similar to saying you were in the car.

But it would be "I went in car" in French which also makes perfect sense. French has a lot more grammar rules than we as English speakers have had to encounter.

Useful words:

Je vais aller: I am going to go

Je voudrais: I would want/like

Je veux: I want

J'adore: I love

J'aime: I like

Il y a: There is

J'ai: I have

Je suis: I am

Je vais: I go

Je fais: I do/make

J'aimerais: I would like

Tu es: You are

J'habite: I live

Aller: to go

Faire: to do/make

Vouloir: to want

Pouvoir: to be able to

Je peux: I can/am able to

Just some basics for those who don't know any French apart from Bonjour and Au revoir. Also, French people use "Salut" as their slang for "Hello" just like we use "hi" or "hey".

One of the loveliest expressions I've ever heard in French is "cette fois-ci" meaning "this time" as opposed to "cette fois-là" meaning "that time".

Je vais jouer GTA IV, au revoir!

Edited by Thomas.

Il y a: There is

Don't forget Il n'y a pas

(There is not/ There aren't)

Je vais jouer GTA IV, au revoir!

Are you going to play it online on the PS3?

Quote 1: And don't forget:

Il y avait - There was

Il n'y avait pas - There wasn't

Il n'y avait jamais - There never was; There was never

Il n'y avait personne - There was nobody

Il y aurai - There will be

Il n'y aurai pas - There will not be

Il y aurais - There would be

Il n'y aurais - There would not be

Il y ait - (I don't know how to translate this as I don't understand the Present Subjunctive form) Present subjuctive of "y avoir"

Quote 2: No I don't have a PS3 but I have a Xbox 360.

Ok, today I had to write an essay for my French folio, my original essay only had 160 words in it and whilst writing a sheet from memory I managed to rack up a few 70 extra words. We have to revise a whole essay and jot it down without any help on days like today. I am able to do it but it is rather difficult.

Français est meilleur que espangol parce que c'est plus beau et il a plus histoire.

"You (guys) think that you know all the french, but I am (not) better." was that what you were trying to say? It's quite good, the only problem I'd say you had in that is the "le francais" and the "le mieux".

être is the most common verb in French, it is also the hardest but once you know it the rest of the verbs will follow:

je suis: I am

tu es: you are

il est: he/it is

elle est: she/it is

on est: we/one is

nous sommes: we are

vous êtes: you are

Ils sont: they are (masculine)

elles sont: they are (feminine)