Better Card

_Ray

Better Card  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• ATI Radeon HD 4870
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
    • There is a better card made by NVIDIA or ATI

Which video card is better in terms of performance?
I'll pick the 4870 over the GTX since it is cheaper

:bashhead:

:rofl2:

Sorry Huck, but lol.

:/

You're the one who constantly brings up the fact you are already over budget. Wouldn't having a relatively cheap rapetastic GFX card appeal to anyone who is straining with the dollars?

Edited by steveplayer

Sorry Huck, but lol.

You're the one who constantly brings up the fact you are already over budget. Wouldn't having a relatively cheap rapetastic GFX card appeal to anyone who is straining with the dollars?

Yes, but I specifically stated that this topic is to discuss the Performance alone. :rolleyes:

And I never said I was going to get these cards, just wanted to discuss them.

Edited by raybob95

Don't listen to TM on this one :P

You can't compare the stream processors of ATi to those of nVidia. They both use a quite different architecture (basically nVidia's stream processors are much more powerfull, but bigger. ATi can fit much more stream processors in their chips, but usually nVidia ends up quicker (with big, hot, power-hungry chips.)

Basically, the GTX 295 is a overclocked GTX260 in SLI, in one singly card. And as we know, the GTX 260 is faster than the 4870, so the GTX 295 kicks the 4870's ass out of the window.

However, this graphical power comes at a price... A price many aren't willing to pay. I'd suggest you'd go for the 4870, as you don't seem to be one of those hardcore gamers or overclock/benchmarkers that want to enter the top 100 of 3DMark.

And yes, that's just part of the discussion.

In theory the 4870 produces something like 1,2 TFLOPS. The GTX 295 must be doing something just under the 2 TFLOPS. Do bare in mind that nVidia's cards, even though they pump out less FLOPS, are almost always faster (relatively, of course).

Personally I'd go for the GTX 295. Partially because I'm a nVidia Fanboy, but also because of CUDA. I'm amazed at the speed one can brute-force crack MD5 hashes with a graphic card, seriously with the speed of light for short passwords. 9 characters and above take quite a long time though...

Sorry Huck, but lol.

Yes, but I specifically stated that this topic is to discuss the Performance alone. :rolleyes:

And I never said I was going to get these cards, just wanted to discuss them.

Why? What would the point be in having a discussion about two, apparently unrelated cards? You're just making topics to make topics.

I thought the GTX 285 was the overclocked and SLI'd 260 and a 55nm chip. You can't really rival the 4870 and 295, because we all know that the 295 will blow it out of the water. You could compare it to CF 4870 X2s.

GTX 285 is a GT200 chip from the GTX280, but one that has undergone a die-shrink. New chip is called GT200b, which is a quite appropriate name. So, from 65nm to 55nm.. not a huge difference, but enough to get the clocks up a bit, making it, essentially, an overclocked GTX 280.

It's also noteworthy that the GTX295 is significantly faster than the 4870X2. Scales extremely well. Or did you mean 4870X2 in CF (so 4GPU's)?

Edit: What the fuck does the third option of the poll mean?! :mellow:

Old benchmarks..

With the 180 drivers the GTX 260 got a great boost making it the winner over the 4870. With the latest drivers for each card, the GTX 260 wins the race...

callofduty.jpg

coh2.jpg

crysis4.jpg

vantage3.jpg

.. by a quite some.

20% to 40% faster by those figures. And don't forget that CoD MW loves ATi cards in general (just like 3dMark 06 loves ATi cards and quite some other (mainly TWIMTBP games) love nVidia cards). But expect the GTX 260 to usually be something like 20% faster than the 4870.