Nerdish Question

I believe Morrowind Elder Scrolls III is much larger than GTA SA. But has anyone measured them or scaled them side by side or overlay?

I know it would take CJ a few minutes to walk from Ganton to Las Venturas but I think it would take a lot longer to walk Seyda neen to the north most of Morrowind. I think it would be interesting to know how much bigger the map are to each other.

Both work simular in nature, they both teleport you inside interiors that don't exist inside the given structures. Morrowind has the built in editor which is very cool imo so no need to download 3rd party tools.

Like I said, it is just a nerdish question.

I believe Morrowind Elder Scrolls III is much larger than GTA SA. But has anyone measured them or scaled them side by side or overlay?

I know it would take CJ a few minutes to walk from Ganton to Las Venturas but I think it would take a lot longer to walk Seyda neen to the north most of Morrowind. I think it would be interesting to know how much bigger the map are to each other.

Both work simular in nature, they both teleport you inside interiors that don't exist inside the given structures. Morrowind has the built in editor which is very cool imo so no need to download 3rd party tools.

Like I said, it is just a nerdish question.

Yeah, I'm sure Morrowind is MUCH bigger than San Andreas, considering it also has all of those interiors. It's hard to acctuly measure them though because it you walk alot faster on SanAndreas, and there is a lot of water to swim through. Also, there is no measiring tools on Morrowind so you couldn't really tell, unlike in San Andreas where you have the "Distance Travveled By Foot ect...".

I think that TESIV Oblivion is probably more close to the size of San Andreas.

Yeah, I'm sure Morrowind is MUCH bigger than San Andreas, considering it also has all of those interiors. It's hard to acctuly measure them though because it you walk alot faster on SanAndreas, and there is a lot of water to swim through. Also, there is no measiring tools on Morrowind so you couldn't really tell, unlike in San Andreas where you have the "Distance Travveled By Foot ect...".

I think that TESIV Oblivion is probably more close to the size of San Andreas.

Thanks for the quick replies, I know from using the Morrowind editor that it runs out to infinity in all directions. I don't know if the same could be said of SA. Both centers are x = 0, y = 0, z =0 with the main difference is the game engine GTA slowly load outlands while Morrowind has boarders you cross and get a loading screen (like the older GTAs).

I found it very easy to make new stuff for Morrowind and wonder why GTA (knowing kids are going to mod it) never included an editor? Even my Unreal has an editor, but I never used that one.

I am going to try my best to estimate that a Norn from Morrowind is the same height as a human ped in GTA SA and get back with some idea.

=====UPDATE=====

To quote the editor help file from Morrowind.

Exterior Cell

The exterior cells are basically a grid that extends infinitely in all directions. Each exterior cell is 8192 units by 8192 units or 385 feet by 385 feet.

All exterior cells are given a name, but it does not have to be unique. This is the name that will appear in the player’s map window as they walk around the world. Some cities and towns will exist over several cells, and we don’t want the name of the cell changing as they walk across the city. All exterior cells are named based on the region they are part of by default.

All exterior cells are automatically given a grid number that represents their X,Y position from the center of the world. You will see this in the render window title as you select objects.

Settings are also available for Weather Type, sleeping, and designation on the World Map using a colored border.

So using the editor I found the cells in Morrowind run from -22 to 23 or 46 cells East to West 46 * 385 feet = 17710 feet or 3.3 miles.

However many cells are just water or wilderness so I eliminated cells that had zero object count and found it to be -17 to 22 or 40 * 385 = 15400 feet or 2.91 miles wide. Using this method I found North and South to be filled -15 to 26 or 41 * 385 = 15785 feet or 2.98 miles long.

Sad, but it looks like my own city of Bay City is much larger than Morrowind.

Next I went looking for a scale for GTA San Andreas. I couldn't find an internet source so again I used the game system. When you start a new game you will appear by the bike in the alley. I took a reading of my stats -> achievements -> distance traveled = 5 feet. I walked up the alley to the East and traveled 70 feet more. Using the teleport coordinates from Sanny Builder I moved 41.0 units in a positive X direction.

So according to that 1 grid unit is 1.8 feet? Which gives me a much bigger question. If CJ is supposed to be 5 to 6 feet tall then his model being 2 unit tall would make his height 3 and a half feet tall. So giving the height of the average human to be 5.5 feet tall I would call each unit a yard or 3 feet.

San Andreas northeast most point is about 2900 and the southwest most point is -2900 or 17403 feet or 3.29 by 3.29 miles.

So close but it looks like San Andreas wins by a few feet.

Edited by ToonSkull

And what's more... San Andreas fills it up with more fun stuff :P

I would have to disagree, Morrowind has a lot more objects in the game than GTA does. Morrowind has so much more detail; for example I can steal a fork or plate then sell those items at a shop. I haven't played Oblivion yet so I can't comment on it.

So according to that 1 grid unit is 1.8 feet? Which gives me a much bigger question. If CJ is supposed to be 5 to 6 feet tall then his model being 2 unit tall would make his height 3 and a half feet tall. So giving the height of the average human to be 5.5 feet tall I would call each unit a yard or 3 feet.

Yes, I always felt the scale was a bit off.