Microsoft eyeing off Take-Two

Jared

You may have heard the news as of late on a possible buy over of Take-Two and it's counterpart bussinessed (that inclused 2k and Rockstar Games) by another company. It's still not a definite in itself, but there is a rumor (and it is important to realise it is only a rumor) that Microsoft is interested in buying over the company. WorthPlaying says an insider at Rockstar Vancouver has mentioned it, all thought no official resources are available at this time.

"Yes, please note the big fat rumor warning in the title. This one comes from WorthPlaying, and because they say it's an insider in Rockstar Vancouver, it will be difficult to confirm this story through official sources, at least until those official sources (Microsoft, Take-Two Interactive) decide to publicly speak up about it.

Of course, the rumor is entirely plausible. While the official PR is that the company is considering other options to present to shareholders, including a sale of the company, conspiracy theorists on Wall Street can easily spin stories of backroom dealings, but that's for the SEC and the government to worry about. At the same time, gaming industry analysts and Xbox fanboys both agree: being able to acquire the Grand Theft Auto franchise would be a gold mine for Microsoft. (Not that the PS3 is left out, now that they've got Saints Row).

On the other hand, who's to say Sony, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, or some Japanese mega-publishing house isn't considering the same thing? The thing with rumors is, sometimes they slip out, and then we learn about it (and then the crap hits the fan), and sometimes they stay secret until the official release, and we're all WTF?!

The most sure thing we can predict is that whatever these "considerations" are, T2 will announce them at that postponed stockholder's meeting."

Of course the Grand Theft Auto franshise and Rockstar games themselves would be a gold mine for Microsoft. Whether that would be good for a series or not, well who knows. One thing would be good however, it would garranty a PC release of Grand Theft Auto 4, but not a PS3 release.

This is very very very new news, about 30 minutes old, so keep an eye on it, I will keep you up to date.

...Source...

I would hit Chris up for new posting allowance for myself, but I don't think he trusts me :P.

Anyway, on topic, yes, I agree, it's a troubling idea. It's hard to say whether it would be a good idea or not. One thing is for sure, just like Google buying over YouTube, Microsoft would be putting themselves out for a countless number of lawsuits. People see a big company, as an easy way to make some money. Microsoft bough Bungie (creators of Halo) over awhile back, which tells me this is all about them taking over big (and popular) game companies so they can bring them to just Xbox and PC. Supporting the PS3 and Sony myself, I don't like the idea from that prospective, but from a PC owners prospective it means more of a chance of getting Grand Theft Auto 3 on PC, which is a plus.

I'm not sure how it works with Bungie, but I know in most cases Microsoft buys the company (and like Google with YouTube) the original started and workers run it with little-to-no input from Microsoft themselves. So it could mean no real huge changes, but you can be guarantied thing such as console wars would be something they would input and rule over.

Didnt R* already announce that GTA4 will be on both PS3 and XBox360? Even if Microsoft buys Take2 few moments before GTA4 is released, thay cant just cancel the PS3 version, contracts are probavly signed between R* and Sony.

As for me - i would like to see the GTA4 PC version simultaneously with XBox and PS versions.

Didn't Microsoft originally reject the idea of buying more rights to GTA for the X-Box because it was a socially questionable game or something? Now, they've done a complete 360, or 180, whatever.

Take Two shouldn't sell, if they sell I will have no respect for them. I think GTA would change if Take2 sold.

IM BACK!!!!!

Now im not worried Sony has a contract with R* to have GTA and other games, to be on their consoles (aka PS3, PSP, etc.) but once that contract is up, MS could not renew this and the Play Station would go down the toliet. Or it could go the other way, if MS do buy T2 and get that contract, they get proto-types of the PS4 or PSP 2 so then MS could copy this and make the X-Box 1020 and XOP (X-Box Potable) which would be a major boost for the gaming communaty, so lets just wait...

UPDATE:

Source

Quelling rumors that Microsoft is bidding on the ailing Take-Two, Shane Kim has confirmed to CNN that Microsoft has no such intention. According to the CNN article, taking over an independent publisher that creates games for multiple platforms would actually create a revenue loss, as all Take-Two's development would be shifted to the 360 alone. Said Kim, "We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher."

As for parties that are interested in the company, speculation ranges from Ubisoft to Elevation Partners (of which U2's Bono is a member) to Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. The article also suggests, as others have suggested in the past, that Take-Two may be sold in pieces, offering up divisions like 2K Sports and Rockstar Games instead of Take-Two being sold as a whole.