Big Ass Acronyms Thread

MrLlamaLlama

Basically, i thought it might be of benefit to some on the forums if i made a massive topic with some common acronyms, to help people understand better. Some are more tech related than others, and i will try to update as ofte as possible when (or if) you guys post your own... And i hadn't seen it done anywhere on the forums so far... enjoy ;)

AA-anti aliasing. Artificially removes the jagged edges from 3d renders.

AFAIK-as far as i know. Removes responsibilty when your talking complete crap.

AGP-accelerated graphics port. A graphics card interface (now dying out...i think?)

ASL- 'age, sex, location' - requests a persons basic details, thus filtering out out unnecessary conversations in chatrooms, forums etc.

AUP-acceptable use policy. aset of rules imposed by an orginisation, business, schiool, or ISP to prevent you having ANY fun...

AYBABTU-All your base are belong to us- comedy translation from the japanese game 'zero wing' - basically means you're 'owned'

BBL- be back later, or maybe not, if you start playing GTA...

BSOD- blue screen of death. You get this when windows goes tits up, less frequent since the death of windows 9x.

CGIComputer generated imagery OR common gateway interface. The first you'll find in movies and games, the 2nd providing scripting languages for complex interactivity within web pages.

CoDec- compression/decompression algorythm, video / audio compression scheme, such as WMV or Ogg Vorbis.

CPU - computer processing unit. The primary part of your pc, which executes instructions within software (or somethin like that)

DDR- Double data rate- a type of RAM that transfersdata on the rising and falling edge ofthe clock signal.

DOS - Disk operating System - the last piece of microsoft software to require less than 2gb of RAM for smooth operation :lol:

DVI- digital visual interface. A video connector that passes graphics signals digitally to maximise quality.

EIDE- extended intergration drive elctronics,. the predecessor to ATA, supporting drives up to 8.4gb

EULA - end user liscence agreement. The thing that you jusrt click accept to without ever reading... ;) (but should :mellow: )

FFS - for F***s sake- ne explanation needed.

FTP - file transfer protocol. The standard system for file transfer over the net.

FTW - for the win. used by l33t gamers , denoting something they're in favour of.

GAL - get a life.

GPU - graphics processing unit.Forms the basis or your pc's 3d display processing

GTA - Grand theft Auto... Damn, cant believe i forgot it in the 1st edit. If you didn't know that, go home and contemplate your inadequacy until you starve.

HDD- Hard disk drive - holds all the files on your pc, looks kinda like a bid sardine can.

HSF- heat sink and fan. Usually placed over heat producing components in a PC, such as the processor, to dissipate heat and allow for smoother operation.

IIRC - if i remeber correctly

IM- instant messaging- good way of avoiding work

IMO - in my opinion

ISP - internet servie providerJPEG - joint photgraphis experts group. file format created by this organisation.

ITT - 'In this thread'

KFC - kentucky fried chicken

KISS - keep it simple stupid...

LAN - local area network- a locally wired networking system

LOL- laugh out loud

MMORPG - massively multiplayer online role playing game. Enslaves helpless geeks, who the avoid life for a monthly fee.

OMG/OMFG - oh my god, or oh my F***ing god

ORLY - Oh, really?

OS - operating system. windows, linux, etc

P2P, peer to peer, a form of file sharing.

PCI - Peripheral Component Interconnect

PCI-E PCI's High bandwidth serial replacement.

PPU- physics processing unit. a new processor pioneered by ageia corp.

PSU - power supply unit. Big silver thing in the top of your case *(unless, like me , you have an antec p180b or similar case,when it's at the bottom)

QWERTY- the standard keyboard letter arrangement system.

RAM - random access memory.

ROFL/ROFLMAO- roll on floor laughing, MA O (or 'my ass off') further illusrates the hilarity of the suituation...

ROM - read only memory - that you cant write to

RTFM - read the F***ing manual

STFU - shut the F*** up

TFT - thin film transistor, type of screen, flatter than a 'standard' CRT

UMPC - ulta mobile PC, like a tablet PC.

USB - universal serial bus . a serial connection for external peripherals designed to take over the world :evil:

WTF- what the F***

WYSIWYG -0 what you see is what you get

YGM - you've got mail.

(with help from customPC magazine for some of the explations/definitions...)

Once again, suggestios of you own are welcome...i will ad them to the list if i get time...

Oh, almost forgot, will ad ORLY to the list, even though it's not technically an acronym, i just don't want spartan to murder me... :wtf:

Edited by MrLlamaLlama

lol, I missed ITT. You see it on 4chan the whole time but I dunno what it means...

I didn't know what it meant either, but after a decent guess((I'm usually good at internet-acronyms)), and then a Google search for confirmation((never declare something without first doing this)), I have found it means "In this thread".