free web building

fatalgamer

I wanna host a website. Does anyone know where I can go to be able to build and host a free website? I really wanna do this. Help is very much appreciated.

It'll be a hard job doing this all for free, unless you place a pissload of ads in your webpage for your provider and stuff. PLus you'll need software to do it, which ain't cheap...

You can buy a mr.site for around 30 quid, that's the closest thing you'll get to free, i think.

Free hosting is incredibly shitty, nobody will go to a website that is hosted for free. It's hard to even actually design a website with a free host, being with most you can't ftp or use php/mysql/any advanced server-side coding at all.

Also, most free hosts will edit your html when you upload it to place ads on your site, embed things you don't like, and ruin the whole website overall.

And you get very little bandwidth/space to put things on.

As for actually coding and building your website, I like Dreamweaver, though notepad or EditPlus is just fine.

Dreamweaver is cool because you can do whatever you want with the website code then tab over to the designer view to see what your code edit will do to affect the look of your site. Also syntax highlighting.

Free hosting is incredibly shitty, nobody will go to a website that is hosted for free. It's hard to even actually design a website with a free host, being with most you can't ftp or use php/mysql/any advanced server-side coding at all.

Also, most free hosts will edit your html when you upload it to place ads on your site, embed things you don't like, and ruin the whole website overall.

As for actually coding and building your website, I like Dreamweaver, though notepad or EditPlus is just fine.

Dreamweaver is cool because you can do whatever you want with the website code then tab over to the designer view to see what your code edit will do to affect the look of your site. Also syntax highlighting.

English please :D

I loved that feature alot, back when i was learning dreamweaver at school, me and stu surrounded by n00bz.

But yeah, will free web hosting limit stuff like embedded objects, eg youtube vids, etc?

English please :D

Mmmkay, in layman's terms:

Free website hosting is incredibly shitty, nobody will go to a website that is hosted for free. It's hard to even actually make a website with a free host, being with most you can't upload your website page files (like index.html) with the use of an external program or use any type of code that uses a file management system (database) in conjunction with user input to make advanced things happen. For example, without php/mysql, most of TGTAP wouldn't be possible. The forums, downloads system, and most of the things on the main site (even the news, for example) would cease to work.

Also, most free hosts will edit your website's code when you send it to them. They will put advertisements on your site, embed bad things like banners and pop-ups, and ruin the whole website overall.

And you get very little transfer or space meaning if too many people visit your site, it will cease to work until the next bandwidth cycle (usually one month) and you also will be very limited in how much you can put on your site.

Dreamweaver is cool because you can do whatever you want with the website code then switch over to the designer view to see what your code edit will do to affect the look of your site. Also highlighting every different element of code so you can see the different codes easily and distinguish between code and the text your users will actually read.

mbedded objects, eg youtube vids, etc?

Doubt it but you never know. See above for free host limitations.

Trust me, if you're serious about running a website, get paid hosting. It's very cheap (around $5 a month for me, and I get basically unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space, php/mysql databases, etc...)

Wow. 110mb is certainly different from a couple years ago. Definition of bad. But I see you have a favicon. For a free host to allow you to use even .htaccess files is pretty damn good. If you must use free hosting, then use 110mb.

EDIT: Oh btw, why is this in serious chat? Nobody died. Moving to Computer+Tech.

lawlz.

Yeah, that 110mb thing sounds good, how'd u hear about it then?

I've been looking for a way to show off some of my GFX more widespread, instaed of confined to this one site, might have to check that out.

Wow. 110mb is certainly different from a couple years ago. Definition of bad. But I see you have a favicon. For a free host to allow you to use even .htaccess files is pretty damn good. If you must use free hosting, then use 110mb.

EDIT: Oh btw, why is this in serious chat? Nobody died. Moving to Computer+Tech.

Actually they ditched the free .htaccess feature recently, since they found it too risky to give it away for free. Instead you'll pay a few bucks for that... And I've heard of that host from a homie in a Splinter Cell forum...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

• 1 month later...

Web Hosting huh?

Visit the links below and find one suitable for you. :

iPBFree (Invision Power Board Free)

Information about iPBFree:

fp_header.png

Fast, Free, and Infinitely Flexible

iPBfree.com is a totally 100% free Invision Message Board host. We believe in customer satisfaction even if we are a free host. We offer subdomains on the domains iPBfree.com. We provide for the instant set up of your free Invision Board by our automated sign up page. Please feel free to make your own free board by going to the Get A Board section in the menu. For our free support take a look at the Support section in the side menu. And please enjoy your stay at iPBfree.com.

Get Your Own FREE IPB Forum

ips_ipb_logo.gif

GREAT FEATURES

EASY TO USE

UNLIMITED STORAGE

UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH

Installable Mods (i.e. arcade, shoutbox, etc.)

High Speed Servers

Short Board Urls

myforum.ipbfree.com

News & Updates

Feb-16-2007 - iPBFree has released version 2.1 iPBFree has released version 2.1. Please check here for current features.

Nov-19-2006 - iPBFREE v2 Released

iPBFREE v2 has now been released. Old forums have been upgraded to the latest build.

Jul-15-2006 - New Management

iPBFree is now under new management.

IP.Board (Invision Power.Board)

Information about Invision Power Services. :

A Community Leader

Invision Power Services is one of the world's leading providers of community solutions. Some of the world's largest companies have chosen IPS software to power their online communities, as well as countless thousands of small to medium sites.

Our hosting division is focused on providing high-quality, reliable hosting services that can scale the needs of each customer. IPS Hosting offers a range of shared hosting packages, dedicated servers and our unique community hosting packages, and has extensive experience in crafting enterprise-level web and community hosting solutions.

In the near future, IPS will launch its IPS Business subsidiary, which will bring our vision of providing complete ecommerce and community creation and management packages one step closer.

Featured Products

IP.Board

Award-winning bulletin board that's simple to install and manage, yet packed with useful features!

Learn more arrowlink.gif

IP.Gallery

Add comprehensive image-gallery features to your community, and let members show off their snapshots!

Learn more arrowlink.gif

Existing Clients

We're proud to count the following organizations among our clients.

Thats the end of my Information guides

Edited by IceAge