going to glasgow for vaccation

steveyboy

ok so in 2 weeks time me and my family are taking a vaccation in scotland, and we will be staying in a hotel in glasgow. but today i read on a travel site that glasgow is "the most violent city in the developed world", apparently the UN said that, and that has kind of got me worried, so if anyone here is from glasgow, maybe you can give me some tips on how avoid trouble there.

thanx

Steve

Glasgow? I can't see any reason why you would want to go there. With no disrespect it's a slum city full of gang culture, rowdy teenagers and run-down housing estates. Think of it as the UK's version of Los Angeles. Scotland's Grove Street.

If you want to go to Scotland, get a remote cottage in the highlands or something, don't go to its cities.

I mean chances are nothing would happen - it's not as if everybody who goes gets raped - but I could think of a million better places to go on the same island. Try London.

damn you must have a deathwish! nah joking,

i go to glasgow quite often to meet relatives, so heres a few tips. avoid the dodgy areas, most of the west end is fine but in the east end there are some more dangerous places. you will easily be able to notice which areas are bad, because they will be very run down. avoid gangs of young white boys, they are responsible for most of the gang trouble there. if they start insulting you for no reason, which they usualy do, for gods sake dont confront them, people get killed for doing that, just walk away quickly. and if you go out on the streets at night, dont go alone.

dont be put off going here, glasgow has some great places, and its nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be, just use common sense and you will be fine.

hope you enjoy it B)

You shouldn't have to avoid half a city

Why choose Glasgow? It must be family connection or something for your dad's job because otherwise you would have the pick of every city in western Europe. Okay maybe Edinburgh is worth a quick look, and you could go to York or Manchester or somewhere exciting. But you could have gone to London, Paris, Berlin or anywhere with craploads of culture and things to do. Yet you choose Glasgow? :P

Glasgow? I can't see any reason why you would want to go there. With no disrespect it's a slum city full of gang culture, rowdy teenagers and run-down housing estates. Think of it as the UK's version of Los Angeles. Scotland's Grove Street.

You don't have to give L.A a bad image. Its a good place to live. ;)

Glasgow certainly is a very strange choice for a tourist, I've never been there myself but from what I've heard from Scottish friends it seems most rumours are true about it being full of violent teenagers and it being a fairly run down area.

I've only been to Scotland once, went to Edinburgh, it as alright actually, not really my kind of holida though, and I don't think I'd ever go to Scotland for a 'city break' either, would much rather go to mainland Europe for that sort of thing.

Not that you would, but don't wear an England shirt, every few months there's always some story on the BBC of how some Scottish thugs have killed an English kid because he was wearing an England shirt and as usual England probably beat Scotland in the football again. Weird.

Oh well, have a good time there despite what we said :P

I would only advise that he came in from Glasgow int. Airport then drive out of Glasgow or take a taxi or bus to somewhere else what is better than Glasgow (Everywhere else). Also some of the "Western Isles" are good places to stay because it is quite and away from huge populations (Such as Glasgow). The islands are remote places and have loads of beachs (I went to Islay May 2006 and Orkney in 1996).

Ever heard of the Chelsea Smile?? it was invented there.

What ever you do don't try and draw attention to yourself.

Chelsea Smile: is a very violent attack in which a credit card is placed into the mouth creating two smalls cuts on each side of the mouth where the lips join together. The victim is then either stabbed of kneed into the balls causing him to wince out in pain casuing the two cuts on each side of the mouth to rip all the way to the ear. Leaving a permanent scar, which makes you look like your always smiling.

Edited by K9 Krew

Chelsea Smile: is a very violent attack in which a credit card is placed into the mouth creating two smalls cuts on each side of the mouth where the lips join together. The victim is then either stabbed of kneed into the balls causing him to wince out in pain casuing the two cuts on each side of the mouth to rip all the way to the ear. Leaving a permanent scar, which makes you look like your always smiling.

makes me cringe evertime i think about that. :sick:

steveyboy, why in the hell would your parents pick to go to glasgow? its one of the most violent cities on the planet. if your going to scotland you should go somewere in the countryside because its fucking beutiful, but you say your mum hates the country? well no offence but she is really ignorant. theres pretty much nothing to do in glasgow, apart from getting murdered, or a chelsea smile (shuddering at the thought).

by the way dont let on that you are american, because a lot of the gangs dont like foreigners

You guys don't have an understanding about gangs.

In the United Kingdom, Their mainly called "firms" like West Ham United Firm(??) or Chelsea Firm(Chelsea Headhunters) what you guys call gangs are just rascal youths try to act tough by picking on foreigners and acting like gangstas.

And then theirs CHAVS...............................<_<

Edited by K9 Krew

I wanna see a pic of that..

A Glasgow smile (also known as a Chelsea grin or Chelsea Smile) is a nickname for the practice of cutting a victim's face from the edges of the mouth to the ears: the cut - or its scars - form an "extension" of what resembles a smile. Sometimes to further hurt or even kill the victim, he or she would then be stabbed or kicked, most notably in the stomach (or in case of kicking, the groin), so that the face would be ripped apart when the victim screams. The practice originated in the Scottish city of Glasgow, which gave it its name. It also became popular in Chelsea, London (where it is known as a "Chelsea grin") and other areas of Britain, for gangs hoping to leave a message to rival gang members.

StormLexer - How can you be so sick minded?, Innocent people could have had this done to them, how do you think they feel??

Their whole life would have changed, can yuo imagine trying to describe that to your children.

In the United Kingdom, Their mainly called "firms" like West Ham United Firm(??) or Chelsea Firm(Chelsea Headhunters) what you guys call gangs are just rascal youths try to act tough by picking on foreigners and acting like gangstas.

No, not only Youths, theres O.G's also in Gangs you know, they just recruit Youths for their gang to continue to grow and last longer.. All Gangs in the U.S, Latin America, do this, I'm not to sure about elsewhere..

I wanna see a pic of that..

are you some kind of masochist? maybe your joking, but you shouldnt joke about stuff like that.

Edited by Marty Jay Williams

And then theirs CHAVS............................... <_<

No, not only Youths, theres O.G's also in Gangs you know, they just recruit Youths for their gang to continue to grow and last longer.. All Gangs in the U.S, Latin America, do this, I'm not to sure about elsewhere..

See the difference.

lol

And then theirs CHAVS............................... <_<

See the difference.

I think it will be smart for other gangs to also recruit Youths in their gangs, how else would they continue grow?

not just firms anymore. there are many street gangs in the UK that are similar to american ones, a lot of the gangs in london and birmingham are black, and have the same gangsta style as american ones, and lots of them are armed to the teeth. in glasgow however, most of the gangs are white youths, most are poor and pretty much have nothing to live for, thats why they start killing because they have nothing to loose. and the ignorant british government seems to think that only black people are in gangs, so while they spend all their time trying to stop black gangs, the white gangs are running riot, but the government just calls that "antisocial behavoir" *sarcasm* thats why glasgow, and many other cities in the UK are so fucked up, because the government doesnt know shit about what really happens on the streets. :pissedred: