"That's So Gay"

Harwood Butcher

Well I was watching TV the other day and came across this extremely random commercial. I'm just curious, to those of you on this forum that are homosexual or know someone that is homosexual, do you find this commercial necessary? Do you actually find it insulting when people say, "That's gay"?

I personally think that saying "That's gay" could be offending to some people, but I think it's a little over the top to make a commercial about it. Depending on the way you look at it, this commercial is actually offensive since it's basically singling out homosexuals.

I lol'd at their website

thats_so_gay.jpg

I have nothing against gays, but there is no law, at least where I live, that says you have the right to not be offended.

Also nobody likes AD Council, especially me.

Did you notice that the thing on that website says "Beard". Is there something I'm missing?

Gay = happy

Gay = homosexual

Beard = facial hair

Beard = ???

Me = confused

EDIT: Ok, well I decided to look it up and found this.

Beard is a slang term describing a person who poses as a false date or romantic partner to mislead others about the nature of a relationship.

I never heard of that before...

Edited by Harwood Butcher

lol. What sort of fucked up place uses terms like "beard" as an insult?

And no one's used 'gay' to mean happy for about 60 years now.

I like how on that website black people are predominantly featured. It's like they're almost tempting you to think racist comments to yourself while browsing.

Tranny? No, it JUST means transexual or transvestite, who would use it to describe a wrecked car?

Cougar? Yeah it's a cat... what else exactly can it be?

Fag? Getting tired from hard work? Don't think so, the non-gay term would be British slang for a cigarette, surely that's much more modern and well-known usage, yes?

Is this site basically just teaching kids obsolete terms for things? Half the words on there are only ever used as insults, the other half are never used as insults. Seems kinda pointless.

And I just realised I typed out this whole reply based on the site Chris linked to, I didn't even watch the video you posted :P

Anyway, as for the point of the topic, I shouldn't think that many gays get offended by it. I mean the negative association of the word is probably somewhat annoying, but it's been in common usage for such a long time now, probably got used to it.

It's like how "queer" used to be an insult, but gays refer to themselves as that now.

Similarly, "nigger" used to be an insult, but people with a dark skin tone descended from African countries and non necessarily living in America commonly refer to each other as "niggers".

lol. What sort of fucked up place uses terms like "beard" as an insult?

And no one's used 'gay' to mean happy for about 60 years now.

I like how on that website black people are predominantly featured. It's like they're almost tempting you to think racist comments to yourself while browsing.

Tranny? No, it JUST means transexual or transvestite, who would use it to describe a wrecked car?

Cougar? Yeah it's a cat... what else exactly can it be?

Fag? Getting tired from hard work? Don't think so, the non-gay term would be British slang for a cigarette, surely that's much more modern and well-known usage, yes?

Is this site basically just teaching kids obsolete terms for things? Half the words on there are only ever used as insults, the other half are never used as insults. Seems kinda pointless.

And I just realised I typed out this whole reply based on the site Chris linked to, I didn't even watch the video you posted :P

Anyway, as for the point of the topic, I shouldn't think that many gays get offended by it. I mean the negative association of the word is probably somewhat annoying, but it's been in common usage for such a long time now, probably got used to it.

It's like how "queer" used to be an insult, but gays refer to themselves as that now.

Similarly, "nigger" used to be an insult, but people with a dark skin tone descended from African countries and non necessarily living in America commonly refer to each other as "niggers".

Bold: Yeah, but only they could say it to each other so they could feel special. If a white person says it, all hell breaks loose. That's another thing that sort of pisses me off, we have to refer to them as "African Americans" where as they still refer to us as "white people" or even "honky" without there being any repercussion.

I'm wondering who actually decided to make this commercial. Were they homosexuals themselves or are they just someone who got picked on a lot when they were little and decided "Hey, I'm gonna make myself look retarded by making a commercial about how you shouldn't make fun of other people, even though no one will listen."

i have no problem with gay people, but i cant stand people, cant explain them (like bernie from IV) all girly and stuff, also when i went into the changing room after P.E class i say it was just 1 guy in there we knew was gay, and it was just me going in there and i shouted 'fuck that shit' and walked out, i felt well bad :lolbounce:

So the poofy gays then? The ones that act all effeminate and do weird hand gestures, speak in high pitched voices, and have an unhealthy obsession with the latest trends in fashion and what not? Yeah those are annoying.

Also, I don't see why in America you're told to refer to blacks as African Americans, yes they may well be from Africa and are living in America, but where in that phrase is 'dark skinned' implied?

What if a white man from South Africa went to live in America, would he then not be allowed to call himself African American because he doesn't have black skin? Racial politics in America needs to get it's act together and decide on a term that can refer to all black people, from Africa or the Caribbean, and without using the term 'American' in it.

A similar thing happens in the UK where the term 'Asian' is used in such a broad sense that it no longer means someone from East Asia (China, Japan, Korea etc. and in general - people with slanted eyes). No. It now means people from Southern Asia, countries like India and Bangladesh. Not really a mistake I guess since technically the countries do lie in Asia. I think the problem is more that these terms are so vague and describe too specifically (African -American) or too broadly (Asian) a race.

That said, I currently have no better suggestions...

Wow, that commercial is so gay! :lol:

My Dad works with the US census (computer contract) every 10 years they count every one. He told me that they ask if you consider yourself black and what ethic background you come from. So even if you come from Cuba you can still think of yourself as black although others may think you are white. And for the most part blacks here in the US don't have a problem being called black. I think the term African American was invented by some white person who felt like being stupid that day. The only thing (being a student) I don't care much about is the month of February is "Black History Month" ugh!! Ok so are we going to have January designated Chinese History Month?? Then March as Mexican American History Month? Personally if I were black and worked very hard to achieve something (like the President elect) I would hate to be thought of as the first black ___________ to ever ________. That's why I believe black American awards is a crock. If you achieve something why must we single out the persons race? The first GAY astronaut, it sounds so wrong to me. Can we appreciate some ones accomplishments without the labels?

-Rant done.

:rofl2:

Being gay myself, I used to be offended by that.

Of course nobody means it to be offensive to gay people, but it shows that they correllate it with being negative. Just like "shit" means awful, not excrement. And "fucking hell" doesn't mean "bad sex".

I don't take offence anymore, but it's still annoying. I don't use the term myself.

And yes... effeminate/girly/poofy gays are bloody annoying. But most of the ones I know don't fit that.

My friend always makes fun of me and uses lots of gay slang names, I dont care though I laugh with her, I just dont take it to heart and it takes alot to offend me. I have had names used in a negative way, but I just let them get on with it and just shrug it off. You cant stop these names being used so why get Duff to say ":o thats so bad!". There will always be a new word that will crop up and another one will die.

Beard!?!?!?! Ergh everyone is such a beard :hurrhurr:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bold: Yeah, but only they could say it to each other so they could feel special. If a white person says it, all hell breaks loose. That's another thing that sort of pisses me off, we have to refer to them as "African Americans" where as they still refer to us as "white people" or even "honky" without there being any repercussion.

Uh...what?

No, we don't have to call them African Americans. We can call them black people. My friend's opinion was this (she is obviously black): "I am not African or American so I don't need to be called African American. I am black." I have never heard a black person insist on being called an African American. They are fine with being called black. I don't know why people get the impression that calling them black or calling us white is racist. It's the colour of our skin.