A swank state dinner?

Huckleberry Pie

Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo recently became the center of a scandal, where, despite the fact that most of his "royal subjects" are struggling for food, managed to spend 20 grand on a dinner at two restaurants in DC and New York City, respectively.

From Washington Post (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source/2009/08/rs-dinner12.html):

Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's visit to the White House on July 30 didn't draw much attention, and her dinner in Washington that night got nary a mention. And that's how it might have stayed -- if not for a controversial meal in New York City.

Arroyo is under fire in her native country for a $20,000 meal at Manhattan's Le Cirque on Aug. 2, which included caviar and several bottles of champagne. The dinner, first reported in the New York Post, has Arroyo's critics comparing her to the extravagant Imelda Marcos.

The Reliable Source has learned that three days earlier, Arroyo and an entourage of about 65 people (including security and food tasters) had dinner at Bobby Van's Steakhouse on 15th Street NW hours after she met with President Obama. The group took over one of the restaurant's private rooms and dined on lobster, steak and fine wines; at the conclusion of the meal, an unidentified woman opened a handbag stuffed with cash, counted out bills and paid the $15,000 tab -- which included a generous tip.

The Philippine Embassy did not return calls for comment Tuesday.

Despite their excuses that Gloria didn't pay the bills, is it right to have such a swank dinner, or is she doing it overkill? My family and I are one of the many people who loathe his administration, and I cite her as a Mafosi-like figure, especially her husband.

Yeah, that's pretty much a nice heaping pile of bullshit. You get that a lot with politicians, though. So at the VERY LEAST, rest assured that your politicians are normal. :lolbounce:

I find it wrong even if a congressman was cited to have paid the restaurant bills. What if they leeched the hell out of public funds for that party?

Heh, this is good compared to our politicians. EU( European Union ) says we got the most corrupted government/politicians from Europe. Now that isn't a good news. And people still vote them. >.<

Political fail indeed.

I feel ashamed because of this, I'm not really an anti-government guy but this one is just annoying. But I don't give a damn on politics, it's better not to vote, because all candidates in this upcoming elections are just corrupt figureheads. :(

Yeah, I guess that made me think that they're nothing but bumbaclots and attention whores. Look at all the infomercials they made on TV, trying to impress the mainstream like giving the impression that they came from some poor family or something.

Not a political fail, my country got off from Communism 20 years ago, so yes, it still has a lot of problems because of that. Don't know if anyone heard of Nicolae Ceausescu, the dictator that was killed in 1989. ( Romania yes :P ) But everywhere, on this world, you can find corrupted politicians. ( Eh, only those islands where people still live in tribes probably don't have this problem lol ).

Not a political fail, my country got off from Communism 20 years ago, so yes, it still has a lot of problems because of that. Don't know if anyone heard of Nicolae Ceausescu, the dictator that was killed in 1989. ( Romania yes :P ) But everywhere, on this world, you can find corrupted politicians. ( Eh, only those islands where people still live in tribes probably don't have this problem lol ).

Just as GTA gave gamers the freedom to do anything, being in a political office also gives the same freedom - at a bigger cost. If only that some better leader takes over and erases Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo from history like Stalin...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Tbh, I'm pretty sick with these kind of news. I always see bad news on TV because issues like this were sensationalized by our media (which I also hate), why don't they instead focus on the recent military operations in the south, where 23 soldiers died but a major rebel camp was captured by the army. Now that's what I call a good news but kinda sad because our unsung heroes had risked their lives without the attention of the media that they deserved instead of these political faggots.

That story is just typical of politicians. They're all gutless twats. The recent expenses scandal in the UK was even worse. MPs were claiming for irrelevant things like shampoo, and horse manure, and packets of biscuits.

LMAO! Well, I guess it isn't that surprising.

"Vegeta? What does Bobby Van say about Gloria Arroyo's restaurant bill?"

"IT'S OVER 9000!!!"

:rofl2:

Edited by Huckleberry Pie