Earth II?

Silberio

Howdy.

I saw on news that a new planet has been discovered:

Astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that's so similar to Earth it might sustain life. It's temperature runs between 32 and 104F. It's 14 times closer to its star (a red dwarf) than we are to the Sun, but the star, Gliese 581 (shown at right), is smaller and dimmer. The star is 20.5 light years from Earth and located in the Libra constellation.

"Liquid water is critical to life as we know it and because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extra-terrestrial life. On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X," added Xavier Delfosse, a member of the team from Grenoble University, France.

But we won't likely be meeting the planet's residents, should they exist, any time soon. As one commenter points out: "At 1 million miles an hour it would take over 15000 years to get there." Unless its inhabitants have figured out a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Could it be here where UFO's or "Aliens" are from?

well, at least its that what i think...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually very interesting. It’s sort of funny that they said "this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extra-terrestrial life." because there are so many conspiracies that say the government is hiding information about extra-terrestrial life.

Sorry to burst your guys bubbles, but there is absolutely no way our kind will get there before we die...unless some kind of extra terrestrial has technology that could get us there...it's not going to happen...at least not any time soon. What still amazes me is that our technology found this planet and was able to get so much information on it.

They don't have much info on the planet at all. They haven't even seen it - it doesn't shine on its own from this far away, and their sun is so bright it covers up what we might see if that planet was on its own.

They have detected it by looking at their sun, and seeing how it wobbles from side to side when planets are orbiting it. From this they can calculate the size of the planet and its distance away from the star - and because they know the size of that star, they can judge how hot it will be where the planet is.

So they've figured out that there is a planet a bit bigger than Earth the right distance away from that star for water to be liquid - which massively increases the chances for life (as we know it).

Howdy.

Astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that's so similar to Earth it might sustain life. It's temperature runs between 32 and 104F. It's 14 times closer to its star (a red dwarf) than we are to the Sun, but the star, Gliese 581 (shown at right), is smaller and dimmer. The star is 20.5 light years from Earth and located in the Libra constellation.

"Liquid water is critical to life as we know it and because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extra-terrestrial life. On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X," added Xavier Delfosse, a member of the team from Grenoble University, France.

But we won't likely be meeting the planet's residents, should they exist, any time soon. As one commenter points out: "At 1 million miles an hour it would take over 15000 years to get there." Unless its inhabitants have figured out a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Why do you put aliens in quotation marks? That's what they are f***in' called.... No need for quotation marks. And they aren't called UFOs for Christ's SAKE.

It seems like a nice find, possibly something to shut up those, "THERE IS NO LIFE OTHER THAN EARTH! YOU'RE STUPID IF YOU THINK SO!" people.

I think it's stupid thinking other life forms have been to this planet. Never said that there is isn't or can't be any other life form far away.

because there are so many conspiracies that say the government is hiding information about extra-terrestrial life.

I do find the so called 'conspiracies' that the goverment is hiding something is just something made up and stupid to actually believe.

Howdy.

Why do you put aliens in quotation marks? That's what they are f***in' called.... No need for quotation marks. And they aren't called UFOs for Christ's SAKE.

It seems like a nice find, possibly something to shut up those, "THERE IS NO LIFE OTHER THAN EARTH! YOU'RE STUPID IF YOU THINK SO!" people.

Because meaby that arent thei'r name, i think they should be called "Silberio's", anyways, WE call them Aliens, but im sure they call themselves something else goddamit!!

Jace, USA is huge, they gotta have a bunch of conspiracies.

Anyways...uh...THERE IS GODDAMN LIFE IN THAT PLANET!!!!!

Howdy.

Because meaby that arent thei'r name, i think they should be called "Silberio's", anyways, WE call them Aliens, but im sure they call themselves something else goddamit!!

Learn the definition of "alien", to us, they ARE aliens, no matter what they call themselves. Just like WE'RE aliens to them, no matter what we call ourselves.

1- Just because it's big doesn't mean they are actually hiding aliens.

2- No where in the whole article is stated that there IS life. They only said that there is a possibility.

I find this very interesting.

I mean even if the World does blow up. We aint guna survive. We aint gunna escape. We can't get to that world before we die.

So basically, there's no point in even bringing the subject up about us going there if the world ends.

Very interesting though.

We're going to drown in the floods of global warming long before the earth blows up.

Still, we're not gonna reach it in time.

I find this very interesting.

I mean even if the World does blow up. We aint guna survive. We aint gunna escape. We can't get to that world before we die.

So basically, there's no point in even bringing the subject up about us going there if the world ends.

Very interesting though.

The topic isn't actually about anyone escaping to the other planet if ours gets destroyed...

They don't have much info on the planet at all. They haven't even seen it - it doesn't shine on its own from this far away, and their sun is so bright it covers up what we might see if that planet was on its own.

They have detected it by looking at their sun, and seeing how it wobbles from side to side when planets are orbiting it. From this they can calculate the size of the planet and its distance away from the star - and because they know the size of that star, they can judge how hot it will be where the planet is.

So they've figured out that there is a planet a bit bigger than Earth the right distance away from that star for water to be liquid - which massively increases the chances for life (as we know it).

I would consider being able to find out how far it is from Gliese 581, it's speed, it's weight, it's size, it's average temperatures a lot of info.

I think it's stupid thinking other life forms have been to this planet. Never said that there is isn't or can't be any other life form far away.
because there are so many conspiracies that say the government is hiding information about extra-terrestrial life.

I do find the so called 'conspiracies' that the goverment is hiding something is just something made up and stupid to actually believe.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. There are people that say the government is hiding information about an extra terrestrial life form, but this whole thing is acknowledging that now that we have a good place to look for this extra terrestrial life, that if they do find extra terrestrial life that the government will be open about it.

Learn the definition of "alien", to us, they ARE aliens, no matter what they call themselves. Just like WE'RE aliens to them, no matter what we call ourselves.

Actually, we're not aliens to them. If extra terrestrials even thought of the possibility that there is other life out there they'd probably have a different name for us. Now if you're just saying that they consider us what we consider them by calling them an alien, than yes, we're alien to them. Not sure if that's what you were trying to say...but yeah.

1- Just because it's big doesn't mean they are actually hiding aliens.

2- No where in the whole article is stated that there IS life. They only said that there is a possibility.

He never said anything about aliens. He said conspiracies. Conspiracies aren't all about extra terrestrials.

Actually, we're not aliens to them. If extra terrestrials even thought of the possibility that there is other life out there they'd probably have a different name for us. Now if you're just saying that they consider us what we consider them by calling them an alien, than yes, we're alien to them. Not sure if that's what you were trying to say...but yeah.

Yeah, I was speaking about the english language. Considering how that's what we speak. What they speak could probably be translated into English, so it would just be their word for "alien", which would then still be alien. But yeah, my point was they are alien to us, and we are alien to them. Regardless of what type of species they are.

This is all very interesting. But, If its out of our solar system, there's no hope for it.

No hope for it containing life or no hope of us reaching it/them reaching us?