Linux

Heavenly_Blade

Ok. So I have a system thats just kind of taking up space so I figured I would try Linux on it. How many here have used it, are using it or know anything about it? What version is best? which is worst? why is there so many different versions?

OK, here are the answers, courtesy of Wikipedia:

1) Maybe about several million users and counting; since cases of pwnage with Windows Vista and XP are encouraging some users to follow the penguin

2) It depends on your needs; some distributions, such as Debian, are optimized for servers since they're less prone to errors, and some, such as Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Xubuntu, are, like Windows, are made for the average home user.

3) I dunno; Linux was originally written as a kernel (the core stuff that powers the OS), and since Linus Torvalds, the guy behind Linux, made it open-source, various flavors of the OS were made by the leet geek species...

do u like it? i'm planning on going to a friends and downloading Ubuntu or Red Hat.

Although Ubuntu is a good thing to go, Linux Mint might be better, because it has native support for media codecs and stuff. You can download the ISO there, but I recommend that you use a download manager like Orbit or FlashGet when dealing with such humongous files...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Not with me. From what I have experienced, there are loads of problems which take quite a while to solve (typing in long commands), manual installation of stuff and then there's always the incompatibilities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it isn't refined enough for me.

I have always wondered what Linux was when I looked on Game sites. I thought it said Linx as for the Atari Linx handheld.

it depends on the distribution and the GUI that it uses, i.e. XFCE, KDE or Gnome, which is the open-source version of the XP Luna styles...

Oh thanx man I was always wondering that

Hey, I'm currently using a LiveCD distro, DSLinux; only 40+ MB, runs off the CD and feels great, too... This post was made on a Linux Live CD system...hehe!

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

How exactly is Windows XP crap? It pwns the shit out of all other OS's.

XP is a hog on resorces compared to other os's. have you ever noticed all the things running in the background? it all slows it down. Linux is more secure because everyone runs xp or vista or mac so no one bothers writing viruses for it. and no xp doesnt pwn the shit out of all other OS's mac and linux run faster and more efficiently. And btw i just got a copy of both ubuntu and lindows live cd :D

XP is a hog on resorces compared to other os's. have you ever noticed all the things running in the background? it all slows it down. Linux is more secure because everyone runs xp or vista or mac so no one bothers writing viruses for it. and no xp doesnt pwn the shit out of all other OS's mac and linux run faster and more efficiently. And btw i just got a copy of both ubuntu and lindows live cd :D

That's absolutely not true. (And this is not coming from a Microsoft fanboy, being I hate Windows Vista and Internet Explorer with a passion)

Windows XP is a good great operating system. Why? Because so much software is compatible with it. There is very little software you can't run on it, one way or another. That's what I like about it. I play all my games, use all my productivity software, and can download and use almost any application I want on it.

Also, I like upgrading my PC. I like being able to replace the graphics card with a better one to increase my fps in games.* I like being able to have four 750gb hard drives if I wished to. Have an iMac? Good luck upgrading that. Mac mini? Ditto.

Another thing is the UI. I'm sorry, but I don't like the dock. I don't like the fact that each app uses the top of the screen for the File, Edit, etc... menu. I like Windows XP's interface. The flow is good. I can switch back and forth between apps like it's nothing. 'Expose' also is available as a mod for Windows but IMO it's not needed, the taskbar does a good enough job of organizing apps, especially with the application grouping feature.

Plus, if you know how to correctly configure Windows XP, it takes up very little resources. I stripped Windows XP of all the unnecessary shit and processes, and I only have about 25 processes running on average (including Steam, Miranda IM, Winamp, Firefox, and Ventrilo). Plus the fact that explorer.exe only takes up about 20mb of memory. Good luck on doing that with Vista.

I also happen to own a Mac in addition to my two Windows desktops and Windows laptop and let me tell you something, this Mac is not as stable as Windows XP. I very rarely have a crash of ANY kind on Windows XP Professional. Home edition is a bit less stable, but still, if you're not retarded, (and a lot of people who use computers are, I've seen people doing the stupidest shit imaginable IRL) it should work fine.

Also, RTFM, 'Mac' is not the operating system. OS X is.

If you have Kaspersky (every copy of Windows should come with this pre-installed because of how much win it is), Ad-Aware, and Outpost Firewall Pro, and you still manage to get a virus, badware, or any type of computer herpes, you don't deserve to use a computer.

Now Linux. I like Linux. I have a copy of Linux Live-CD because Windows isn't perfect. It does sometimes have Helen Keller moments. When it does this, I can boot into Linux, salvage all my data onto an external drive, wipe the internal drive, reinstall windows, play games, ????, and profit.

*There's very few games available for Mac so you really don't need to do this anyway. The ONLY game I play that's compatible with OS X is Warcraft 3 and even then I couldn't use Banlist in DotA so fuck that.

That's absolutely not true. (And this is not coming from a Microsoft fanboy, being I hate Windows Vista and Internet Explorer with a passion)

Windows XP is a good great operating system. Why? Because so much software is compatible with it. There is very little software you can't run on it, one way or another. That's what I like about it. I play all my games, use all my productivity software, and can download and use almost any application I want on it.

Also, I like upgrading my PC. I like being able to replace the graphics card with a better one to increase my fps in games.* I like being able to have four 750gb hard drives if I wished to. Have an iMac? Good luck upgrading that. Mac mini? Ditto.

Another thing is the UI. I'm sorry, but I don't like the dock. I don't like the fact that each app uses the top of the screen for the File, Edit, etc... menu. I like Windows XP's interface. The flow is good. I can switch back and forth between apps like it's nothing. 'Expose' also is available as a mod for Windows but IMO it's not needed, the taskbar does a good enough job of organizing apps, especially with the application grouping feature.

Plus, if you know how to correctly configure Windows XP, it takes up very little resources. I stripped Windows XP of all the unnecessary shit and processes, and I only have about 25 processes running on average (including Steam, Miranda IM, Winamp, Firefox, and Ventrilo). Plus the fact that explorer.exe only takes up about 20mb of memory. Good luck on doing that with Vista.

I also happen to own a Mac in addition to my two Windows desktops and Windows laptop and let me tell you something, this Mac is not as stable as Windows XP. I very rarely have a crash of ANY kind on Windows XP Professional. Home edition is a bit less stable, but still, if you're not retarded, (and a lot of people who use computers are, I've seen people doing the stupidest shit imaginable IRL) it should work fine.

Also, RTFM, 'Mac' is not the operating system. OS X is.

If you have Kaspersky (every copy of Windows should come with this pre-installed because of how much win it is), Ad-Aware, and Outpost Firewall Pro, and you still manage to get a virus, badware, or any type of computer herpes, you don't deserve to use a computer.

Now Linux. I like Linux. I have a copy of Linux Live-CD because Windows isn't perfect. It does sometimes have Helen Keller moments. When it does this, I can boot into Linux, salvage all my data onto an external drive, wipe the internal drive, reinstall windows, play games, ????, and profit.

*There's very few games available for Mac so you really don't need to do this anyway. The ONLY game I play that's compatible with OS X is Warcraft 3 and even then I couldn't use Banlist in DotA so fuck that.

Sorry Ive been away. anyway yeah i dont like mac (and OS X) much and i prefer XP to Vista but for security i would have to say linux is one of the most secure os' around because there are so many distributions that its almost impossible to write a virus that can hit every linux os. I just bought a laptop with vista on it and i am hoping i can get drivers for everything so i can downgrade to XP. I will be runing Kapersky, AVG and Avast along with spybot and Ad-aware ASAP. I want XP so i can run Lindows Live to go online and XP for gaming. I have 2 GB of ram and i want to be able to use more than 512 of it cuz vista has to hog it all :P