Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

could i run it on at least a mimum or maybe some max

graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB

ram:16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand

processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 Processor (4x 3.10GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

mb:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -- 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0

hd:1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s

and if its not good enough i am gonna be upgrading to an i7 plus upgrading the nivida and adding 32gb of ram so yeah but i hope thats enough xD

All peeps need know is GTA IV is "optimized for dual core" it came out in 2008, Core Duo came out in 2005, HT came out in Jan of 2004, you can have Core2 now with Hyper Threading or multicore 939 socket AMD64 and up from there you can run the game, with a PCIexpress first iteration socket, yep.

Direct X 9 complient will work, Shader Model 3 is the minimum. 1 and a half Gigabyte of RAM is what's listed as needed. XP will work at 3 and half Gigs, at 4GB RAM you're asking for trouble on XP or any 32 bit system

End of story, the i5 and i7 second and third generation should not pose any real problem. Think about the logic?! The thing is as suggested, it's geared on RAGE built for PS3 and Xbox, first and foremost. The fact you have GTA and MP3 on PC means that RDR and some other RAGE game should not be impossible to make for PC, but if ported, it's been needing perfection since the first RAGE/Euphoria game. This building engine has problems on consoles as well, let's not forget

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You should be able to record footage at 30fps on that setup. (As in, the video capture software could export 30 fps video, you'd probably get a few more ingame.) GTAIV has a pretty good suite of options to choose from so you can always play with the texture quality / shadows / reflections and density until it balances out nicely. On the rig in my signature, I can record IV on max settings to export at 30fps, with my actual game hitting about 40. Never tried recording at 60, but I imagine it'd chug a bit.

Just make sure all your drivers are right up to date and you're giving the thing enough space to vent the hot air out until you get to know what your system is capable of.

As I've said before, setting up a new Nehalem PC platform as well as a Penryn based Intel chipset gaming PC, I think with the best of the best offered as far back as 2007, the ground breaking nVidia GTX 8800 on upward, the 9700 Geforce or anything on the Radeon side above the 5 or 6 numeric range, with a memory bus over 128, if you're lucky there, should handle GTA fine in all these generations on the RAGE engine, what I just read is that GTA will not work well with SLI based GPUs, or I imagine Crossfire in lieu of nVidia hardware, so get yourself one really nice GPU graphics card, and make sure you have either Hyperthreading, Core2, Nehalem over that, or a quad core, even a discontinued board could support a top notch i7, and will endure as an investment for about 2 more years. Expect only two new processors within next year; Haswell Intel and Broadwell series code names.

As far as the YouTuber's using Fraps or some IN-GAME recorder, you're best option, and my own, is to forego that to record the output video from the card itself, connect to a recording device with the final signal you expect to see on your display, I don't know too many using HD as it's beyond my budget so far, but it shouldn't impact the software running, which is why I always go that route from a PC or console, in terms of recording something. People think recording to standard def from an output as I've done many times will degrade the content once uploaded, that was much more valid a complaint in the past as far as Google and YouTube having sync and resolution issues, of course, if you were on dial up and using YT uploads as well, which I've done too, your chances were REALLY hit and miss!!

Edited by BlackListedB

• 2 months later...

These system requirements are from the year 2008, now its 2013. AMD is way cheaper than Intel, I got AMD FX 6100 processor at it can run GTA IV at awesome FPS. I think AMD is good for gamers. Use the saved cash on some awesome graphic card. Intel Core i5 is too costly. So with the saved money I buyed NVidia 4 GB DDR3 graphic card.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Lemme bump an old thread, I reinstalled GTA IV on the Asus Republic of G (gangster or Gamer?!?) G73 and the old software header is Games for Windows Live along with companion Rockstar Social Club sign-on applet (offline portal to the online version)

As you know, this probably is unlikely to ever change now, but as it stands, mostly upsetting that the news sidebar and PC updates mentioned with it are still stuck in a time warp. While Rockstar constantly looks to improve GTA V because it bridges console changes nearly 10 years in the making, it is likely to have the most lavish attention paid from that of previous versions of Grand Theft Auto.

This tackles a few things, what updates seem to be missing, if any, from Rockstar for PC that perhaps the software is not showing up?

I've always been a bit upset that Rockstar seemingly felt it too much hassle to keep this interface active and updated, I'm sure at the time there were enough users who would appreciate a periodical update, I was expecting Rockstar to throw a bone to it's past dynamic online support of GTAs and other series games.

Also worth noting is that in my machine, both G73s used ATI HD5870, and Geforce 460m GTX, of which online gaming review benchmarks show that you can actually find differing results based on which game you play, the ever popular Call of Duty performed better on ATI's Radeon

Whereas GeForce nVidia performed better on others, providing stiff competition for each, and this being 2010 (the time of release for Intel's new Nehalem and the two GPU cards), it's interesting to note the release date and how it should mean support is there, (for GTA IV) but Crysis being as old as it is still required lower settings for smooth, higher frame rates.

I might have posted those findings before, but it's worth mentioning for first time portable game shoppers, a used gaming laptop can provide enough muscle and there is the find of GTX 560 nVidia being a possible upgrade (just shy of the 660 GTX recommended for GTA5 on PC)

Direct X 12 support for Windows 10 is something to keep in mind as well, as Windows 8 doesn't generate too much appeal for gaming, as does Windows Vista's introductory Direct X 10, quickly surpassed by DirectX11

Edited by BlackListedB

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/11/2008 at 5:16 PM, Chris said:

I've made this topic because we're getting a lot of people asking us whether or not they'll be able to run GTA IV on their PC, and if not, what should they get, etc.

No official requirements have been released yet, but by looking at other recent games we (or rather chris82) has produced this spec list - I think it's probably about halfway between the minimum and recommended specs.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Intel Core2Duo E4600 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

1GB of RAM (Windows 2000/XP)/2GB of RAM (Windows Vista)

nVidia 8xxx series/ATi 28xx/38xx series

UPDATE: 30th October 2008 - Official specs now released, topic has been updated, see below for specs.

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
  • Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
  • Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
  • 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

So if you're not sure you'll be able to run the game, just post your specs here and I or someone else who knows what they're talking about will answer you, and if necessary tell you what you should get in order to run the game well.

You might also want to post your monitor resolution that you'll be planning on playing at.

Yes you can. I have the same configuration and I am playing it. The processor is slow but it's ok.