Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

I've made this topic because we're getting a lot of people asking us whether or not they'll be able to run GTA IV on their PC, and if not, what should they get, etc.

No official requirements have been released yet, but by looking at other recent games we (or rather chris82) has produced this spec list - I think it's probably about halfway between the minimum and recommended specs.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Intel Core2Duo E4600 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

1GB of RAM (Windows 2000/XP)/2GB of RAM (Windows Vista)

nVidia 8xxx series/ATi 28xx/38xx series

UPDATE: 30th October 2008 - Official specs now released, topic has been updated, see below for specs.

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
  • Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
  • Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
  • 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

So if you're not sure you'll be able to run the game, just post your specs here and I or someone else who knows what they're talking about will answer you, and if necessary tell you what you should get in order to run the game well.

You might also want to post your monitor resolution that you'll be planning on playing at.

I think the processor is too harsh.

Here's the specs of my current PC:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo 3.2Ghz

Memory: 512MB failure

GFX: ATi Radeon 9550 256MB

I'm planning on playing at: 1152x864

It does run a game called Infernal which has almost the same graphics as GTA IV at high settings with no lag... Maybe will it run?

Edited by S-V

I think the processor is too harsh.

Here's the specs of my current PC:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo 3.2Ghz

Memory: 512MB failure

GFX: ATi Radeon 9550 256MB

I'm planning on playing at: 1152x864

It does run a game called Infernal which has almost the same graphics as GTA IV at high settings with no lag... Maybe will it run?

What?

The C2D I put in there is way lower than 3.2GHz, please look up the processor before saying it's too harsh...besides, even if you were going to use a 3.2GHz C2D it would be bottlenecked to fuck by that shitty graphics card and RAM.

512mb of RAM? Even San Andreas likes to have more than that.

A 9550? Hm, that barely runs Half-Life 2 and San Andreas on maximum settings, what makes you think it could play IV?

IV's graphics are good but not as good as Crysis', so I'd say if you can play Crysis on whatever settings then you should have no problem playing IV on the same settings. I can play Crysis with 2xAA, Very High across the board (DX10) at 1280x1024 so IV should be sexy.

The reason I chose the specs I did is easy...Steam supports Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, and since Rockstar is generous with their game support, they should too.

The processors I chose aren't the strongest of their breed but are powerful nonetheless and have multiple cores for compensation.

RAM...because of all those high-res textures, sounds, models, etc...everything going on at once, it's better to have more RAM to store them in because RAM is much faster and the more of it you have, the less your computer forgets something that needs to be loaded and has to retrieve it from the hard drive...which is already streaming everything else in real-time. Also Windows Vista undoubtedly uses more RAM than XP so if you have Vista you should have 2GB of RAM or more, end of story.

The graphics card is due to the fact that I had an ATi x1800GTO and could play BioShock on high at 1280x1024 at about 15fps, even with 2GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. Then when I got a 3870 I could do the same at over 60fps. This game isn't Source-based; yes, the processor is important but you NEED a current-generation graphics card...you'll probably even see better performance if you get an nVidia 9-series or ATi 4-series.

As for GTA IV and "Infernal", do please choose which has better graphics. (Bearing in mind IVs will be improved again to a yet unknown degree on the PC)

GTA IV

Infernal

dxdiag2.png

dxdiag.png

Any recommendations? I plan on upgrading in the near future. I'd like an 8800 and a stick of 2GB ram(DDR2 800, PC2), but I really dont know what to look for. I've got my eyes on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130318

Any good? (I will be running XP, which I know will not be able to use the card to it's very fullest potential, the card being DX10, so perhaps recommend a similar card that would be used to it's full potential on DX9.)

Edit//Not looking for a super computer, I'd just like to play TF2 with atleast 85 FPS. I play it with 30-50 right now, but when I am near a pyro it drops to like 12 :(

Edited by Shortbus

Pentium Dual-Core E2160 1.8Ghz

Nvidia Geforce 7300LE (I'm thinking of getting a better card soon; will an 8600 do the job?)

Shit, shit, and shit. Sorry but any processor with the word "Pentium" in it is garbage and the 8600 is ok...not a really great card...just spring for an ATi 4850, it can be had for around $150 USD and kicks ass.

(I will be running XP, which I know will not be able to use the card to it's very fullest potential, the card being DX10, so perhaps recommend a similar card that would be used to it's full potential on DX9.)

Edit//Not looking for a super computer, I'd just like to play TF2 with atleast 85 FPS. I play it with 30-50 right now, but when I am near a pyro it drops to like 12 :(

All cards being made support DirectX 10, but it doesn't matter, you'll still get the full power on DX9. Also TF2 is pretty demanding, I see 60-120 depending on the situation with max settings, the particle effects are pretty advanced so that's why.

Grand Theft Auto IV Predicted PC System Requirements Released By gta4.tv Official GTA 4 TV Website:-

Predicted Minimum Specifications (NOT OFFICIAL)

These specifications are from the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. We believe Grand Theft Auto IV will have similar, if not slightly higher minimum system requirements.

* CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.4 GHz or AMD® Athlon 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported

* RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)

* Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space

* Video card (generic): NVIDIA® Geforce 6600 or better or ATI® Radeon® 9800Pro or better

Predicted Recommended Specifications (NOT OFFICIAL)

These specifications are from the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. We believe Grand Theft Auto IV will have similar, if not slightly higher recommended system requirements.

* CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended

* RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended

* Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space

* Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

Source:- http://www.gta4.tv/page/38/pc-version-spec...tions&vo=17

:thumbsup: This Information Should come in the front page of Thegtaplace.com, Very useful Information :coolthumbup:

First of all, I don't intend on playing GTAIV on my laptop.

Not yet anyway. I just wondered if my laptop'd be able to play it..

Amd Turion 64 x 2 mobile technology TL-52 (2 Cpu's) 1.6Ghz

1918 Ram

Vista

NVIDIA Geforce Go 6150

Tis a piece of crap really && Yes I've seen the ghz. I just wonder if it'll be able to run it at all.. o_O'

and how to make it BETARRR

do you have DDR or DDR2 type?

I told you guys in my previous post, DDR2.

Edit// In fact, the Kingston RAM you posted is the kind that I need. Is it good for the price?

note: not looking for a super computer, just a "jewel in the bargain bin"

lol sorry didnt notice that. ahh ok. yeah i think its a decent price. for me in aus its $54, thats to go to a shop and buy it, no shipping.

Pentium Dual-Core E2160 1.8Ghz

Nvidia Geforce 7300LE (I'm thinking of getting a better card soon; will an 8600 do the job?)

Shit, shit, and shit. Sorry but any processor with the word "Pentium" in it is garbage and the 8600 is ok...not a really great card...just spring for an ATi 4850, it can be had for around $150 USD and kicks ass.

I'm planning on swapping the Core2Duo chip from the other PC and slap it on the other one...

CPU: AMD Athlon™ X2 6400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

RAM: Corsair 2x1GB

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

I think that should run it on full. I'm probably going to get another 2GBs of RAM early next year or something.

EDIT: My guess at the system requirements. I can see the official requirements being incredibly similar...

Minimum:

Operating system: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Higher

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 / AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+

Video card: ATI Radeon™ X1650 / NVIDIA® GeForce 7300 GT with 256MB VRAM or higher

Memory: 1GB (1.5GB for Windows Vista)

8X speed DVD-ROM

Recommended:

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 or Higher

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5000+ / Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8190

Video card: ATI Radeon™ HD 3650 / NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT with 256MB VRAM or higher

Memory: 2GB

16X speed DVD-ROM

Edited by GTA Don

I don't see why the recommended specs wouldn't be similar to those; remember how advanced GTA IV is compared to previous GTA games; real-time HDR lighting and reflections all the time, much higher polygon counts on the models, much more detailed textures, real-time shadows for people, vehicles, and the environment, as well as the amazing real-time physics engine.

The only problem I see with GTA Don's specs is the fact that the Intel and AMD processors are mismatched quite a bit.

It was easy when Intel processors sucked and you could easily judge, but based on the benchmarks of my current processor, you can see performance between AMD and Intel processors in 3D games. According to that, the E6600 is roughly equal to the 6000+ and the 6400+ is equal to the Q6600, although that may not hold true for GTA IV because I'm sure that not all 4 cores of that processor were being used by those games.