GTA Saves Lives

Slyde

Source

Many disparage the value of video games and their effect on today's youths.

Karen Norris, of Streator, will say no such thing. Not after her quick-witted 11-year-old daughter, Audrey Plique, sprung to the rescue of their family because a popular video game showed a potential danger of a vehicle rollover.

"She just knew, from playing 'Grand Theft Auto.' She saw on there that when a car rolls over, it can blow up. She knew that could happen to us," Norris said.

About 9 p.m. Aug. 27, the family of five was en route to visit relatives in Diamond when Karen's husband, Robert Norris Jr., felt lightheaded while driving on Route 113 about one-half mile east of Coal City. Their 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee drifted off the road while moving 55 to 60 mph, struck a guardrail and flipped four times before coming to rest on its side in the ditch. The roof of the vehicle caved in and the back window broke out.

"It was a pretty scary experience," said Audrey, a fifth-grade student at Oakland Park School.

Both parents lost their glasses and were dazed in the dark night. The three children -- Audrey, her 9-year-old sister, April Smith, and her 7-year-old brother, Robbie Norris III -- were wearing seatbelts, as were their parents. April was hanging upside down and Robbie was pinned down.

"I was really scared. I didn't know what to do," Audrey said. "But I knew I had to help."

She realized the back window had broken and was able to climb over the spare tire to get out. She then called for her mother to reach out her hand and Audrey helped pull her out the back window. She proceeded to help get the rest of family out of the vehicle. Audrey also tugged on her father's bloody arm to lead him to the road, where they flagged down a passing vehicle to get somebody to call 911.

"She showed the kind of bravery and courage you don't expect from an 11-year-old," Norris said. "She stayed composed. She sounded upset, but she knew the things she had to get done to help her parents and her siblings."

Robert Norris Jr. was hurt the worst, suffering numerous cuts and bruises after slamming into the steering wheel several times without the air bag activating. Everyone else in the vehicle also suffered minor cuts and bruises, but were treated at Morris Hospital and released, Norris said.

"My mom said that because of me, her babies are safe," Audrey said. "When I heard her say that, I was really relieved."

Woot?

Agreed, although cars don't always blow up Hollywood-style when flipped, unless something critical in the vehicle is hit. There were some detractors in the article booing the game and blaming it for making the kid believe that cars always blow up on impact, but despite Mythbuster's arguments, there is a chance that a vehicle will explode on impact; I've seen a news report in my country about a Corolla that blew up (or otherwise went on fire) after colliding with a semi...

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS STUUPPIID! I like GTA and I'd jump for the chance to proove GTA was good, but not in this way. What, so she would have just left her family in the car if not for gta? This is down to instincts and adrenaline... While your panicking like she must've been you'd want to get out and you wouldn't want to leave your family...

This is just the mothers excuse for letting her kid play gta.