Any Chance of A Return To Grove Street?

WarAngel

I'd like to see an update of characters, locations etc. from GTA: SA. Since this game take place in an updated version of Los Santos then it make sense and would be easy enough to do. Maybe have an expansion set called Grove Street Stories or something.

I can't find any mention of one so it's probably not in the works, at least not yet anyway.

Grove street is dead, Tommy Vercetti is dead, Claude Speed is dead, the old GTA universe IS DEAD! Rockstar have confirmed this a couple of times, even I know that and I don't even follow 'em anymore (although it's pretty hard to navigate the dern internet and not run into GTA).

I'll never understand the point of remakes... if the game was that good and you liked it so much why want a remake unless you're full of shit and there's actually something wrong with the game....

Rockstar already said that there is a whole new story behind 3 new characters,so sadlly there ain't gonna be a Grove comeback. The city is technically the same,so may be you can still find Grove Street on the map and visit the street itself. It would be interesting to see what has happened to it for over 2 decades.

I'm almost sure it's not technically the same. IV Liberty was almost completely different from GTA III era Liberty, from street names to map layout. Sure, Los Santos was closer to Los Angeles than Liberty was to New York (to be honest I figured out it was based off New York years after I first played it) but I doubt you'll be seeing anything other than the major landmarks return (some of them).

The purpose of a new game universe is to stick to the main idea and the roots of the game while making everything feel new. IV was GTA's reboot.

I'll never understand the point of remakes... if the game was that good and you liked it so much why want a remake unless you're full of shit and there's actually something wrong with the game....

For one thing I liked the gang banger theme of SA and since Los Santos is based off of LA which is the unofficial gang capital of the U.S. then it's a fitting setting. The GTA games' main themes are crime and violence so why not have a player or NPC that does that pretty much all the time. Besides it wouldn't be a remake, more of a sequel. Ever heard of those?

Most GTA fans think there maybe a reference, but they won't co-mingle the previous universe, as others have said, re-visioned Los Santos is taking a page directly from Liberty City's New York doppelganger. Gangbanging won't be the central theme of LA aka LS... as we know from the two trailers thus far, the big new element will be the AI in regards to the NPC, Non-Player-Characters, of which their actions will be on par with Red Dead Redemption I'm hoping, where they really seemed engrossed in realistic activity, and you can enter the game and just watch peds populating this new gaming sandbox! That to me is the single thing about Rockstar's Open World that makes it better then everyone elses' video game

Edited by BlackListedB

For one thing I liked the gang banger theme of SA and since Los Santos is based off of LA which is the unofficial gang capital of the U.S. then it's a fitting setting. The GTA games' main themes are crime and violence so why not have a player or NPC that does that pretty much all the time. Besides it wouldn't be a remake, more of a sequel. Ever heard of those?

Direct sequels? I don't think it can get more boring than that. You're like a five year old that keeps asking his father "what happened next???" so that the bedtime story never ends. Learn to let go. San Andreas might have been the best GTA but it wasn't the only good one, if they keep making GTA San Andreas sequels there will never be a better one.

By the way you might want to check what "gang bangin" means :P

Edited by TUN3R

Direct sequels? I don't think it can get more boring than that. You're like a five year old that keeps asking his father "what happened next???" so that the bedtime story never ends. Learn to let go. San Andreas might have been the best GTA but it wasn't the only good one, if they keep making GTA San Andreas sequels there will never be a better one.

By the way you might want to check what "gang bangin" means :P

I don't understand why wanting to know 'what happened next' is bad thing....

Also gang bangin' is a perfectly legitimate word to use in the context of hanging out with ones 'homies' and partaking in gang related activities. It also happens to be a term used for sexual activities undertaken in a group, however given the the forum we are on and the topic of the thread I think it would be fairly safe to say that in this context 'gang bangin'' refers to the former if your mind instantly thinks of the latter then that sort of says something about you now doesn't it?

Anywho, I would quite like to see the occasional homage to San Andreas but I wouldn't want it as a major theme of the game, I mean San Andreas is for me the best GTA game to date so I wouldn't want anything in V to ruin that experience for me. It would be weird to not have some throwback to San Andreas but I don't want it rammed down our throats.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the ambitions of Rockstar with this outting of GTA, I think using the prior location as a jumping off point is about as close as they'll venture to connect any previous asset, it would be considered a creative 'cop out' to do so. With the advent of new consoles (and PCs!) I think Rockstar would most likely either do Florida a'la Vice City in a new engine or try to come up with new geography, and it's already been rumored of a scouting by Rockstar staff to do something involving the Midwest next time around.

Considering the ambitions of Rockstar with this outting of GTA, I think using the prior location as a jumping off point is about as close as they'll venture to connect any previous asset, it would be considered a creative 'cop out' to do so. With the advent of new consoles (and PCs!) I think Rockstar would most likely either do Florida a'la Vice City in a new engine or try to come up with new geography, and it's already been rumored of a scouting by Rockstar staff to do something involving the Midwest next time around.

I have no clue what that means, but yeah. Rockstar are using the same old cities cause every other city in America is f*cking boring. And Europeans are a bunch of pussies. Iching to pull out the lawsuits if a major game developer were to make a game about mass murder in a more or less fictional Paris. I mean, the GTA controversy is through the roof in America, just imagine Europe...

Manslaughter in Japan or Vietnam would be interesting (although probably on the daily basis, since in Japan everybody drives on the wrong side and Vietnam is still recovering(ish) after getting raped by the Americans)... Oh yeah and they'd have to be at least 40% in Japanese / Vietnamese / whatever..

As for African countries... Well if the world was ready to declare World War III to Capcom after a certain game featured killing African zombies, I doubt it would take very kindly to one that features killing live Africans.

There you have it. So just cause Rockstar is using the same cities (and things that come with 'em, like brands) over and over does not mean they will bring back everything else from the old GTA universe.

EDIT: Oh yeah there's also Australia and South America... umm, put all of the above together + the irony that would incur when a game whose plot takes place in Australia gets banned in Australia + kangaroos,... and you get Australia. As for South America, well who gives a fuck about South America.

Edited by TUN3R

ITT: blanketing insults upon every continent. You missed Antarctica, but I'll just assume they're cunts and save you the trouble of justifying it.

OT: I wouldn't be surprised (happy is another matter) if they did actually end up putting a version of Grove St. into the game. Neither Liberty City nor Vice City had a location which the protagonist really had that was their 'home', and as such, Neither Claude's first safehouse nor Tommy's hotel really 'mattered', or worked to give you a reason to fight for them. Grove did have this, however, which makes it a much richer, much more significant part of the franchise.

I know what you're gonna say:

Grove street is dead, Tommy Vercetti is dead, Claude Speed is dead, the old GTA universe IS DEAD

But we can use Francis International as an example of a location which has functionally and aesthetically changed, taken on a new location and has fallen in and out of relevance, but it HAS survived the transition between the 'generations' of the game, if only by name.

• Like 1

ITT: blanketing insults upon every continent. You missed Antarctica, but I'll just assume they're cunts and save you the trouble of justifying it.

OT: I wouldn't be surprised (happy is another matter) if they did actually end up putting a version of Grove St. into the game. Neither Liberty City nor Vice City had a location which the protagonist really had that was their 'home', and as such, Neither Claude's first safehouse nor Tommy's hotel really 'mattered', or worked to give you a reason to fight for them. Grove did have this, however, which makes it a much richer, much more significant part of the franchise.

I know what you're gonna say:

But we can use Francis International as an example of a location which has functionally and aesthetically changed, taken on a new location and has fallen in and out of relevance, but it HAS survived the transition between the 'generations' of the game, if only by name.

Antarctica isn't a continent it's just a big ass iceberg.

Anyway I'm calling lack of ideas on this one. I mean what else were they gonna call it, Bob International Airport? Tommy International Airport?

Tun3r, if you CANNOT make sense of that posting, there's little hope for you understanding proper English, and I don't need no stinkin' Dictionary to know what the Hell I'm Talking about! Man, get a clue, wouldja?!

The asset terminology I even borrow from Rockstar's own mouth, in fact!

Anywho, the locations are chosen not only because Rockstar either LIVE THERE or VACATION THERE, but because they're iconic, and no, the Midwest is not actually boring, it is a JOKE, should not be taken seriously, as this series and ALL VIDEO GAMES should NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

A good point about the Mature rating and context of the black satire based on REAL society, it's nothing new.

The thing I'm getting at is using TOO much of prior GTA franchise to try and move forward from what's already in the can, Rockstar's prior GTAs. Some gamers are hoping for a re-invention of the add on GTA LONDON expansion, though that's also unlikely, knowing Rockstar are trying to cut some corners, I could see them move in that direction if they try and Internationalize the series, and it's very likely GTA will move beyond US borders in the future, No one, least of all Rockstar, can tell you WHEN, however.

The past era is over! R* won't look back into the past anymore & that's a good thing since we have a total new game to play with in the new era. However they may include it as an Easter egg or a reference maybe?

Thank you! x_x

@the moron

I know you understand what you're saying, you wouldn't say it otherwise now wouldn't you? See That's why you're a moron.

And FYI Rockstar doesn't have a mouth, or eyes, or legs, or arms, or dicks or anything else because it's not a human fucking being, or an animal. So you might wanna check that fact.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, pick up a fucking dictionary.

Edited by TUN3R

• 3 months later...

Grove Street is back, so are the fams, its the "old" (previois gen) characters you wont be seeing, but Grove Street is in the game....Grove Street Fams are in the game, how can the gang be in the game but not the Street they name themselves after? Think people, please.

Theres even screenshots where you can see the word "Grove" sprayed on the wall in green spray paint.

• 4 weeks later...

Rockstar are sure to include classic references, and gangwars and gang-bangers return as part of the urban blight, it's somewhat obvious, but as far as key direct things like characters from the past and locations, it's much less likely, there will be vague consistencies between all GTAs like branded products, and radio personalities like Lazlow, who if he hopefully does return, he references familiar GTA things as well, and of course, there's more then just him that can be and have become GTA staples from the past or for the franchise thus far.

Edited by BlackListedB

• 3 weeks later...

Grove Street is back, so are the fams, its the "old" (previois gen) characters you wont be seeing, but Grove Street is in the game....Grove Street Fams are in the game, how can the gang be in the game but not the Street they name themselves after? Think people, please.

Theres even screenshots where you can see the word "Grove" sprayed on the wall in green spray paint.

I just don't feel such circumstantial evidence is enough to definitively say that they are back. Don't get me wrong, I like GSF and if they do end up crossing over into the GTA4/5 Era, awesome. But I remain unconvinced at the moment. We'll just have to agree to disagree for now and wait until mid-September to find out for sure.