Official Playstation Discussion

Harwood Butcher

That's funny, why isn't it called the EyeToy? Even funnier, when the PS3 was first shown off, there was a silver EyeToy sitting next to it.

Probably because most gamers are discouraged by its name. It sounds a little childish and is childish.

Well the recent Driver games have sucked anyways, so there isn't really much harm that can be done.

Well that's just your picky opinion, I thought they were good.

How is the EyeToy childish? It's simply a webcam..... Y'know, just as the "Eye" is. Speaking of which, the "PS3 Eye" is a worse name. It just sounds retarded.

And the only good thing about Driv3r was the forklift.

It's not called the "PS3 Eye". It's call the 'Playstation Eye', which sounds good in my opinion.

----

But anyway, as I said before in another topic my Mum pre-ordered and paid for Spiderman 3 The collectors Edition (Exclusive to GAME), So I can't wait!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's funny, why isn't it called the EyeToy? Even funnier, when the PS3 was first shown off, there was a silver EyeToy sitting next to it.

Probably because most gamers are discouraged by its name. It sounds a little childish and is childish.

Well the recent Driver games have sucked anyways, so there isn't really much harm that can be done.

How is the EyeToy childish? It's simply a webcam..... Y'know, just as the "Eye" is. Speaking of which, the "PS3 Eye" is a worse name. It just sounds retarded.

Have you ever played with the Eye Toy? It had childish games on there. It wasn't a webcam, unless they made other versions that I'm not aware of.

There were a lot better in Driv3r than the forklift. I thought the storyline was awesome.

I own the EyeToy. The GAME "EYETOY PLAY" can be considered "childish".... The EyeToy itself isn't childish because of one game. And yes, buddy, it's a webcam. It works exactly like one, and if plugged into your PC((because it's a USB accessory, just like webcams)), it can be used as one.

Have you ever played with the Eye Toy? It had childish games on there. It wasn't a webcam, unless they made other versions that I'm not aware of.

There were a lot better in Driv3r than the forklift. I thought the storyline was awesome.

I own the EyeToy. The GAME "EYETOY PLAY" can be considered "childish".... The EyeToy itself isn't childish because of one game. And yes, buddy, it's a webcam. It works exactly like one, and if plugged into your PC((because it's a USB accessory, just like webcams)), it can be used as one.

Dude, what's with the attitude? You need to lighten up or go to some anger management courses or something.

My friend bought the EyeToy and it had more than just one game and that seemed to be it’s only purpose and didn’t have a webcam feature as you said. I wasn't really asking if the Eyetoy was a webcam for the PC, I meant to ask if it was a webcam for the PS2, I mean come on...this as PlayStation topic.

I didn't say it had a webcam feature for the PS2((but if you count a video record feature, then yes, it does)). I said it was a webcam, because that's all it is. A webcam. Made to work with the PS2. And I'm not getting an attitude, WTF? I'm simply stating facts and people are getting pissy with me saying I'm getting an attitude.

I didn't say it had a webcam feature for the PS2((but if you count a video record feature, then yes, it does)). I said it was a webcam, because that's all it is. A webcam. Made to work with the PS2. And I'm not getting an attitude, WTF? I'm simply stating facts and people are getting pissy with me saying I'm getting an attitude.

Well to me the quote below says you had a bad attitude when you posted. To me that comment is pretty much saying "Hey, I'm right you're wrong." and you always have that attitude.

Now getting back to the main point. Sony called the EyeToy for the PS2 "Toy" because it was mainly for playing those little, in my opinion, childish games. Now since it's all for communication, media editing, etc. the "Toy" part of the name doesn't fit. So they're just simply calling it "PlayStation Eye".

EyeToy is a much more appealing name, IMO. "Playstation Eye" actually sounds rather lame.... It sounds too much like they're trying hard to be more "serious", and let's face it, gaming is about being fun, not serious. I lol at people who take gaming seriously. They usually are in serious need of lives.

And it wasn't for those games... Those were just released to give you something to do with it and show what can be done with it. Sort of like WiiSports, that isn't the main purpose of the Wii, but it does show what you can do, and it's something to do((although, WiiSports is significantly better than EyeToy Play)). There was a DDR game that used the EyeToy. The only problem was no one was making games that used it.

I don't know what to do, I don't know whether I should pre-order GTAIV because it is £50.00 to pre-order but on this site it says it will cost £40.00

It should be £40, I don't know where you are pre-ordering it but GAME is letting you pre-order and pay for it for £40.

Damn I knew there was something fishy about this, go to HMV (if they have it in N.Ireland) and they have it as £50 pre-ordering thx I might go to GAME but I don't like them much, gamestation is much better.

EyeToy is a much more appealing name, IMO. "Playstation Eye" actually sounds rather lame.... It sounds too much like they're trying hard to be more "serious", and let's face it, gaming is about being fun, not serious. I lol at people who take gaming seriously. They usually are in serious need of lives.

Ok, so you're saying XBox360 and PlayStation 3 are "fun" names?

i just find it that its hard to just say "EYE." im not gunna say playstation eye because thats just lame. Eyetoy was original and easy to say. Everyone knew what it was. The [playstation] Eye is just confusing. "Lets play with the eye!" that just sounds messed up.

Actually, it sounds more creepy than fun.....

Well you already said "PlayStation" was a fun name...man, you're so picky.

i just find it that its hard to just say "EYE." im not gunna say playstation eye because thats just lame. Eyetoy was original and easy to say. Everyone knew what it was. The [playstation] Eye is just confusing. "Lets play with the eye!" that just sounds messed up.

No one ever said you have to call it the "PlayStation Eye". You could call it the "PlayStation EyeToy", "PlayStation 3 EyeToy", "EyeToy", "PS3 EyeToy", "PS3 Eye", "Eye". Hell, you could call it "Bob" for all I care. What ever makes you happy. I was just simply saying "EyeToy", in my opinion, is a childish name.

Edited by Original GTA Master

No one ever said you have to call it the "PlayStation Eye". You could call it the "PlayStation EyeToy", "PlayStation 3 EyeToy", "EyeToy", "PS3 EyeToy", "PS3 Eye", "Eye". Hell, you could call it "Bob" for all I care. What ever makes you happy. I was just simply saying "EyeToy", in my opinion, is a childish name.

Then if were all going to call it eyetoy, then why would they call it the Eye? now that they named it eye i dont want it. it doesnt sound fun anymore.

Playstation, yes, "Eye", no.......

And I just don't understand how you call EyeToy childish because of the word "toy" yet PLAYstation isn't childish?

I said it sounded a little childish because a "Toy" is something a child plays with, but I mainly called it childish because of the little kiddy games that were on it. "Play" in "PlayStation" on the other hand can be childish depending on the way you look at it. You could be playing football, which to me isn't childish. Playing music or a movie, which could be childish depending on what you're listening to or watching.

I guess for you the whole name has to be "fun", but for me the name doesn't matter at all.

Then if were all going to call it eyetoy, then why would they call it the Eye? now that they named it eye i dont want it. it doesnt sound fun anymore.

How would I know why they called it just "PlayStation Eye"???

This PlayStation Eye(Toy) is just for communication, not for little games that you play on it. I'm sure if they make another one that has games on it they'd call it "PlayStation 3 Eye". If you guys actually read up on what the "PlayStation Eye" has then you'd know why it isn't called "EyeToy".

Just Googled it, and as expected, it is simply an updated version of the EyeToy..... Just like the EyeToy, it will be used for whatever purposes the scripts written for it have. Games can((and I assure you, probably will)) be created for it. The EyeToy wasn't the games it came with, it was the camera.... It just wasn't used enough. I've only heard of two separate games that used it, one I couldn't figure out.

And if name doesn't matter at all to you, why are you criticizing the EyeToy's name?