Google wants to advertise in games...

Jared

google.jpg

Found this by accident today, just interests me as something that may result in maybe ads from Google in GTA4. It's a long shot, but it's possible:

It looks like Google is looking to expand it’s advertising program and is in talks to acquire Adscape Media Inc., a pioneer in dynamic in-game advertising.

The Wall Street Journal Online writes that a deal could be reached as early as next week.

Unfortunately a Google spokesperson declined to comment on the matter, saying: “We are always considering new ways to extend Google’s advertising program to benefit our users, advertisers and publishers. In-game advertising offers one such possible extension among many others.”

I guess we’ll find out if this is true or not soon enough.

...Source...

This is only speculation on my part, Google haven't said they are going to do this yet, but it is expected that will. And with Google wanting to move there ads to games, and GTA4 having the ability to download content of the net for extra gaming adventures, chances are GTA4 will be a game we will more then likely see these ads expanded into. My thoughts are it will be like Google Ads on website, it will read the page or screen and get key words that will then generate a list or boxes of links to related websites/products. With GTA4 having download-able content, chances are that is how it will work, either that or Google will sell space to third party business's/websites.

I would rather no in game advertising be in any game. You fucking sell me a game for $50 or $60 and it should damn well be ad-free. God knows we don't need to pay for another entertainment medium and have IT be infested with ads.

Like take BF2142. For me every billboard in the game says Intel. I hate Intel. Why should I have to see their annoying logo while playing a game that isn't that redeeming in the first place.

Money-grubbing assholes...

Doesn't surprise me. People have been advertising that you could 'buy' their space for a while. I saw someone on ebay once advertising for the tag in Counter-Strike can be replaced by your company logo and he would be on for a certain amount of time each day and spray as much as he can.

That goes too far but I wouldn't doubt that we'll see ads for real products in billboards on games.

Would mean R* would have to give away there use of funny slogans and stuff on billboards though.

Which is bullshit. Why do I have to give up jokes to see real ads?

Eh? I'm not sure you understood what I was saying, I was saying if they did add any type of ads to the in-game experience on billboards they would need to remove the classic Rockstar humor, which we all know and love. Which I would be highly against.

From a consumer point of view its going too far, but from a corporate point of view its like the new horizon.

Even if most people hate the idea it doesn't matter. Most people hate having ads on TV or radio, but they are still there because even if you hate it, it is getting the company name out there and it works. If Rockstar were to make a few bucks and sell advertising then it would be one of the larger sums ever heard of. Because this isn't temporary like a TV or Radio ad, but permanent. They will always have that advertising.

Unfortunately no, but we could think of some positives. The extra money they earn from those massive advertising techniques could mean that they are able to do a lot more. More research and design, better models etc. Means that it would lead to an improved game.

Also, since they don't need to make as much for a profit they might be able to reduce the prices of the game to make it cheaper to the consumer, giving it greater marketability which means that companies would highly value the advertising as its a bigger market.