Crysis [56 KB warning]

Pandora

81194-CRYSIS-LOGO.jpg

Crysis is a new upcoming game by the award winning Crytek and will be published by EA. It's not just another shooter, it's the first one to use DirectX 10 (You WILL have to have a Direct X 10 supported Graphic card to use this, and it CAN'T be emulated.) Now just mentioning DirectX 10 doesn't really say alot, so some screenshot's would be in place. Those can be found if you scroll a little down.

Here is the official description of the game by EA:

Crysis is a PC sci-fi first-person shooter from the award-winning developer Crytek, the developers of the critically acclaimed Far Cry (MC90).

Earth, 2019: A colossal asteroid crashes down to Earth.

The North Korean Government quickly seals off the island chain, claiming the mysteries of the asteroid for themselves. The United States responds by dispatching an elite team of Delta Force Operators to recon the situation and report back to the Pentagon. Amid rising tensions between the US and North Koreans, the asteroid suddenly bursts open, revealing a massive, 2km high alien ship. The ship generates an immense force sphere, freezing a vast portion of the island and drastically altering the global weather system. The invasion of Earth has begun.

The two rival nations unite to stop the aliens and save mankind. The newly formed alliance fights epic battles against the marauding Aliens. With hope rapidly fading, the player must lead a crack squad through lush tropical jungle, harsh frozen landscapes, and finally into the heart of the alien ship itself for the ultimate Zero G encounter with the aliens.

Crysis offers players a highly immersive FPS experience in which they will have to adapt their tactics, weaponry, armour and gameplay style to survive and defeat the alien invasion.

Crysis uses the leading-edge technology of Crytek's proprietary engine CryENGINE™ 2.

News:

3/31/'07 Update to post: Added video section.

Most screenshot's show a tropical type of place, like Far Cry had. This game however is a type of Sci-Fi game.

There are 2 zones where you can play. The first one is the tropical zone, then you still have the "frozen" zone. What looks like you're somewhere in the Ice Age but then with technology. And last but not least, the Alien Ship. There is also a small part where you're on a aircraft carrier.

Screenshot's:

78015-pc19.jpg

As you can see here, the vegitation is just of superb quility and untill now unmatched with any other game.

76860-pc08.jpg

Now this just looks like a game with good graphics, but do notice the shadows and all the other lighting effects.

76857-pc05.jpg

Again, check out the lighting and the graphics.

76854-pc02.jpg

Exellent shooting action.

78019-pc23.jpg

The only thing that betrays this screenshot of being from a game are the coastal waves. Also notice the draw distance and the reflections.

78021-pc25.jpg

Extreemly good human models.

78022-pc26.jpg

Fire simulated to the max. Again, look at the lighting (read: shadows) from the barrels.

78009-pc13.jpg

Graphics like a picture.

78006-pc10.jpg

An exellent screenshot to show the potential of DirectX 10. Just look at those "sun rays".

Facts:

-Game Engine: The game will use CryENGINE2 as the game engine.

-Scheduled Release Date: Game will be released around June 2007.

-Developer and Producer: The game is developed by the award winning Crytek, the same company that brought us Far Cry. The game's producer will be EA.

-Platform: Crysis will be a PC exclusive.

-Genre: First Person Shooter (with Sci-Fi)

-MP: So far known, the game will have a multiplayer option, enabling you to have online or lan fun with up to 32 people featuring 4 different mode's.

-Crysis also has been made so that you can make your own fun maps with ease and straight away play in your map without any extra stuff that has to be loaded.

-Another fun thing about Crysis is the destructibility. Almost everything can be destroyed. From vegitation to houses to the springs of a vehicle.

Here is a quote of some features:

An immersive story that puts you the player in the pivotal role to repel an alien invasion and save mankind.

<LI>A unique three-act structure that forces the player to use real-time armor and weapons customization to adapt to an ever changing dynamic world.

<LI>Encounter a compelling, frightening alien species that uses its senses intelligently and works in combination with each other to present players with the most challenging opponents yet in an FPS.

<LI>Enemy and ally AI utilise real-world military tactics.

<LI>Take control of a wide variety of land, sea and air vehicles including trucks, tanks, boats and helicopters.

<LI>Explore a living, dynamic world where earthquakes, breaking ice, landslides, and tornados which pose a real and an ever-present danger.

<LI>32-player Multiplayer with real-time armour and weapons customization and an all new mode that combines player modification and tactical objectives.

<LI>Emergent gameplay; actions taken in the game affect future outcomes giving each player a unique experience.

<LI>Highly robust and easy to use mod toolset allow players to create their own expansive levels with game modes for both multiplayer and single player.

<LI>The most realistic environments, spectacular special effects, physics, game engine, lighting system and enemy AI through CryENGINE, <LI>

You know when you're just on land and a helicopter just comes at you. You'll just try to shoot it with your most powerfull weapon you have, or you'll try to hide. When in a helicopter, you'll have a health meter, when drained you'll just go into oblivion. This also has been changed. Now things like shooting the back rotor will send the heli into a big spin, where after there is a big potential it will crash. This ads up to the reality of the game and makes in a really nice and tactical shooter.

Specs needed and recommended:

Please note these are only speculation's. We can't yet certainly say what it's going to be, but this is prety accurate anyway.

Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz

Graphics: Nvidia 6200 or ATI X1300 - Shader Model 2.0

RAM: 768MB on Windows XP or 1GB on Windows Vista

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 256k+

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)

Graphics: Nvidia 7600 or ATI X1600 Pro (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent

RAM: 1.5GB+

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

It says 1.5 GB, but if your running Vista, it's advised that you have more. Also, the game supports Shader Model 4.

Video section:

Mar 30, 2007: Official Crysis trailer #5 / Cryengine2 trailer (Gamespot)

Jan 5, 2007: Official Crysis trailer #3 / Cryengine2 trailer

Links:

-EA Crysis

-Official Crysis site [not active yet]

-Crysis Online [not official]

-In Crysis [not official]

-Wikipedia Crysis

Note's

That's it for now, I'll update this post soon though.

Edited by Jace

Yes, it looks very nice indeed. I have a high def 20-minute walkthrough that makes the game look even better. I'm sure if I pop another gig of RAM in system it'll run it fine on high settings.

BTW no idea where you got those specs but I highly doubt them. There is no fucking way you're gonna be running this on a system with less than a gigabyte, even on XP. Most PC games out now won't even run well with that.

And the Pentium D/P4 processors can't even touch this game. They are such shit...and a 6200/x1300? Are you high? Those are basically integrated cards!

Look, any game where this:

crysisface3dwz7.jpg

is being rendered in real-time is not going to be doing it on a Pentium or 6200.

Oh and Crysis is not the first game to use DX10. If memory serves than that title belongs to Flight Simulator X.

Fsim X will have a DirectX 10 patch, but the retail version doesn't use it.

I found those specs rather low to, but they (one of the most active Crysis fan sites) say that should be enough to run it.

But you won't get all the effects seen in the screenshot's and vids. For max settings I don't think 1 8800 GTX is even enough. But just lowering the reso will make far better frame rates.

This is what I think

CPU: Intel Duo Core E6700 or AMD equivalent

Graphics: nVidia 8600 Ultra or ATI equivalent

RAM: 2 gig

HDD: No idea...

And hardware supporting DirectX10.

Edited by Jace

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it looks very nice indeed. I have a high def 20-minute walkthrough that makes the game look even better. I'm sure if I pop another gig of RAM in system it'll run it fine on high settings.

BTW no idea where you got those specs but I highly doubt them. There is no f***ing way you're gonna be running this on a system with less than a gigabyte, even on XP. Most PC games out now won't even run well with that.

And the Pentium D/P4 processors can't even touch this game. They are such shit...and a 6200/x1300? Are you high? Those are basically integrated cards!

Look, any game where this:

crysisface3dwz7.jpg

is being rendered in real-time is not going to be doing it on a Pentium or 6200.

Oh and Crysis is not the first game to use DX10. If memory serves than that title belongs to Flight Simulator X.

What type of PC would you need Chris? Love to know.

OMG, those graphics are insane man! I agree with Chris, I like the last scenery shot because it shows off the lighting, shadowing, etc. My shitty computer would never be able to handle a game like this. Like look at the pic chris82 put up, looks so realistic. I'm getting a new computer soon though... If my parents keep their word lmao. So I might play this when it comes out. No wonder you have a Crysis userbar Jace :P

Edited by Artur

• 4 months later...

MAAAAJOR Bump. But finally some good news about the game.

On September the 25th the demo of the long awaited Crysis will be released. It will contain the full first level (guessing that that's in the tropical zone) in it's said to also contain a "big surprise from Crytek". Sounds good IMO.

Recommended system requirements have still not yet been released. What we do know is that the game can run on Vista and luckily also on XP (without DX10 effects of course).

So for all of you out there with a powerful PC (QD, Chris, Chrisman), just a little less then one month until you can finally test your new GFX card real good ;)

Thats stupid, no ones going to remember about Crysis's game demo on the day Halo 3 comes out TBH.

Halo 3 will be a Halo 2 clone (which is a Halo 1 clone). Basically Halo 2 with marginally better graphics and the same models/textures/maps thrown around a bit. Add in a modified HUD and you have Halo 3.

When Crysis, Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and GTA4 are released, people will forget about Halo 3.

Oh btw there really is little to no difference between DX10 and DX9 on Crysis.

There is a difference, but most won't even realise it.

As example a heli going through smoke. At DX 9 nothing will happen, or a set reaction. In DX10 it can calculate how the smoke/particles will react to the heli. Some minor small detail, but it adds up.

Edit to that:

Just realised you said 'to Crysis'. And I'd have to agree.. If I'm not mistaken the screenshots in the first post are actually rendered in DX9, not 10.

Edit 2:

even on DX9, the game looks phenomenal with loads of jaw dropping scenery and effects. The DX9 performance is good news for gamers who aren't quite ready to make the jump to DX10.

Other then that; the demo at GC 2007 is the DX9 version of the game. The DX10 gameplay vid has only been shown to some press. Probably DX10 is just a recourse hog and doesn't make all that much of a difference (for Crysis).

One more little thing that you may or may not know:

Crysis/Cryengine2 will be multi threaded, so you finally can actually use your second core or if you are lucky enough to have a quad core you can use the other 3 cores that most of the time are just doing... nothing.

According the Crytek a Dual Core CPU should increase performance by 60% and a Quad Core by 98%.

"Summary: We're headed for eight-core gaming and frame-rate independent "work crew" modular gaming, where rendering, particle systems, physics, audio, A.I. logic, and input/output process independent of each other.

So that basically means that when the game is heavily loaded it won't let the total frame-rate drop, but certain parts will slow down and the general rendering will continue at normal speed. So lets say your in a tank and blasting everyone to pieces and your PC can't take it, the Particle effects might get slowed down while the normal rendering just continues thus not effecting your frame-rate. But the particles will be shown slower, or with less detail.

Probably the physics will be most effected though.