Upgrade TGTAP Chris?

That's arguable. It's better in some areas whereas IPB is better in others.

We started out using IPB 1.2 (when it was entirely free) and went through 1.3 and then 2.0 until they started charging money for it. At the time it was way cheaper than vB so we stuck with it. Plus we didn't want the hassle of converting when we already had most our stuff integrated with the IPB system. Converting would require a lot of recoding of other things on the site.

Why do you say that? Are you just saying that as a member or have you had experience managing both? I do still like both forum softwares a lot. And one of my sites will be using vB as it's forum if it ever gets popular.

That's arguable. It's better in some areas whereas IPB is better in others.

We started out using IPB 1.2 (when it was entirely free) and went through 1.3 and then 2.0 until they started charging money for it. At the time it was way cheaper than vB so we stuck with it. Plus we didn't want the hassle of converting when we already had most our stuff integrated with the IPB system. Converting would require a lot of recoding of other things on the site.

Why do you say that? Are you just saying that as a member or have you had experience managing both? I do still like both forum softwares a lot. And one of my sites will be using vB as it's forum if it ever gets popular.

I prefer Vb much better.

I used to go on this Halo site, used to be a shitty I.P.B 1.1.7 or something then they converted to vBulletin.

edit: yes i have had expierceining managing both i used to be a admin on a vb and ipb site.

Edited by Bulletproofboy

I'd rather have vBulletin 3.7.1 instead..

lol vbulletin sucks, IPB is much more powerful in every way, especially with user-created mods.

But please, OP, tell me what critical bugs you encounter that mandate the upgrade of IPB?

Actually to be fair, that's one area in which vB has always been way better in, mods. It's only recently (since 2.2 or something) that IPB has introduced components (that work properly, not like early 2.0 or whatever) that many mods are becoming easier to install.

With vB mods, you rarely have to edit php files or anything, everything just works off the 'hooks' system. Basically like a plugin for wordpress (or any blog) which some of you may be familiar with.

Thankfully, IPB is getting better now, and I hope that minor mods also change to it because it really is a pain in the arse editing php files because everytime the software is upgraded you have to go through and do all the edits again.

But yeah, this a minor path denoted by the 3rd number, so it's not important for us to upgrade. Once 3.0 is out however that will be a different matter because that is a huge new release and we'll have to test that out first.

Why would you ever notify an admin about an update? Chris isn't stupid you know...

Personally I prefer IPB. I'm talking about the general user experience, not about the ACP and stuff. But then again, why would you ever even ask why a board is running a specific forum script?

Actually to be fair, that's one area in which vB has always been way better in, mods. It's only recently (since 2.2 or something) that IPB has introduced components (that work properly, not like early 2.0 or whatever) that many mods are becoming easier to install.

True, I guess all the IPB boards I've seen have a lot better mods than the vB boards, plus I like the default (and therefore most widely used) interface better on IPB.