wtf?

Our man Niko

Posted 2008-05-08 05:02 under Off The Record by Viktor Marković / 11 comments

How much damage can a video game bring to a country’s already devastated image? We’ll just have to wait and see: new episode in a violent series GTA4 is out one week ago and it already seems according to both critics and fans that it will be one of the most talked about and most popular video games in history. So what’s it got to do with us over here at the peaceful little Balkans and our image?

Well, the main character, the guy you get to control – killer, thug, wifebeater, childhater, beerdrinker weapons and trafficking expert and drugdealer is – Serbian.

So much for our pitiful attempts to improve the dangeraously bad but still somewhat blurry picture foreigners have about Serbs – thanks to all the wars in the previous decade – all it takes is one fictional Niko Belic, Serbian veteran, from Bosnian war no less, to bring us back to the drawing board. This is not the first time Serbs have been depicted as bad guys – Hollywood movies have not been very kind to us, but most of them were flops that didn’t reach such a broad audience and didn’t leave such impact of the collective conciousness. With Grand Theft Auto IV – well I hope I’m wrong, but it seems to me that this one is going to stick around for a while.

this is something i found off of belgrade 2.0. wtf? why is media taking such a negative bullshit swing at niko? Hes the friggin hero of da damn game. his character is a guy who is tryin to make in da world. As much as hes a gangster he respects his family. hes not a wifebeater, childhater, the drunk thing is a hilarious miny game. hes not bringing a bad image to serbia. i mean look at the popularity borat brung to kazekhstan.

Because not many journalists are also videogamers - this guy has probably never played the game, and of course doesn't realise that Niko (originally) pretty much had mainly good intentions of living The American Dream™ (lol, yeah right, oxymoron much?).

Anyway, link to article? It's not very well written at all (granted, his first language clearly isn't English) but I'm guessing it's not from a particularly reputable website...

Didn't you know videogames are public enemy number 1? The media hates them, and would do anything to ban them outright, it's been this way for at least 15 years now, if not more. Plus, when papers like The Daily Mail writes articles that are just lies, it really doesn't help at all.

EDIT: Actually, I saw another GTA4 related article today to do with Thailand - http://www.gamesdog.co.uk/news/news.phtml/...es-murder.phtml

A Thai video game distributor has halted sales of Grand Theft Auto in the country after a teenager confessed to robbing and murdering a taxi driver in an attempt to re-enact a scene from the game.

The guy who wrote this article definitely doesn't know shit about GTA IV. lol :wtf: ,hmmm... I can't remember does Niko have a wife (wifebeater), and when

did Niko say he hates children. This teenager has way too much time on his hands to go out and even think about murdering a taxi driver, he deserves to be

locked up just for blaming is actions on GTA. :thumbsdown:

Edited by totalaccessGTA

It doesn´t matter, as you might conclude, Serbs don´t have a bad image for nothing.

And how can they call Balkan peaceful, when they themselves have destroyed it ? The worst warcrimes since WW2, rapings, killings of hundred thousands civilians, women, kids. That is what they have brought on to Balkan, and that is what Balkan will be known for. So I don´t care how many more movies or games that´ll "draw them back to the board", No, I´m actually happy they do it.

But seriously. it´s a game, and Niko´s fucking badass.

Edited by Brotha

Because not many journalists are also videogamers - this guy has probably never played the game, and of course doesn't realise that Niko (originally) pretty much had mainly good intentions of living The American Dream (lol, yeah right, oxymoron much?).

Anyway, link to article? It's not very well written at all (granted, his first language clearly isn't English) but I'm guessing it's not from a particularly reputable website...

Bold.

I laughed reading the article..