What is TGTAP made out of?

Husky

Hey guys. I myself thought about making a Grand Theft Auto: Website just for downloads, just modifications... well hope that didnt piss you guys off here. I just want to know what the hell you used to make TGTAP. I'm not going to copy every thing there is on here. I just want to know how to make a page etc... can someone explain?

The entire main site is hand-coded in PHP by Chris, using a "heavily modified" version of ssi.php to extract data (eg news) from the IPB forums. Chris also coded the downloads area and all those various things.

If you want to make a website, you could just get a free blog or CMS or forum or something. If you get some hosting, you could install some scripts yourself and have a linked-up website and forum. If you want to design the pages yourself, use Expression Web or Deamweaver to make some HTML pages and upload them to your hosting. If you want to learn HTML and design the pages properly, that's probably best. If you want to learn PHP to make a dynamic site you can log into, that's great but takes ages (months/years) to learn.

Basically you can do as much or as little of it as you want, but the quality of the site will depend on the amount of effort and skill that you put into creating it. And it will be obvious if you "cheat" and use pre-made or automatic website creators.

Overall, if you have no understanding of how websites work at all, you're best getting a free automatic website. But if you want to put some effort into it, you could set up some hosting with a company (such as mine) and use various free CMS scripts (which there are lots) to make quite a good looking site without too much effort. I could set you up with something like phpnuke or e107 or drupal or whatever, and you'd be up and running in no time (literally minutes).

To answer your other question - HTML is a code language for formatting a web page. Like you have some text, and you add things like <b>this is bold</b>. But you can get a lot more complicated than that, and make an entire site design in HTML. Better yet, add in some CSS, which works with HTML to make styling a lot easier and better. Even more complicated is JavaScript, which can make your web page do fancy things, like move around, or open boxes or whatever. HTML, CSS and JS are sent from the website to your browser, then your browser translates it into words, pictures, styles etc.

PHP is a server-side language that can change what HTML is sent to you. With PHP you can do everything from find out the current time (and "print" it into some HTML), read stuff from a database or even use 2-way communication to log into a site, write things into a database etc. When you "ask" for a web page, the php runs first, generates the HTML it wants to send to you, then it sends it to you.

The entire main site is hand-coded in PHP by Chris, using a "heavily modified" version of ssi.php to extract data (eg news) from the IPB forums. Chris also coded the downloads area and all those various things.

If you want to make a website, you could just get a free blog or CMS or forum or something. If you get some hosting, you could install some scripts yourself and have a linked-up website and forum. If you want to design the pages yourself, use Expression Web or Deamweaver to make some HTML pages and upload them to your hosting. If you want to learn HTML and design the pages properly, that's probably best. If you want to learn PHP to make a dynamic site you can log into, that's great but takes ages (months/years) to learn.

Basically you can do as much or as little of it as you want, but the quality of the site will depend on the amount of effort and skill that you put into creating it. And it will be obvious if you "cheat" and use pre-made or automatic website creators.

Overall, if you have no understanding of how websites work at all, you're best getting a free automatic website. But if you want to put some effort into it, you could set up some hosting with a company (such as mine) and use various free CMS scripts (which there are lots) to make quite a good looking site without too much effort. I could set you up with something like phpnuke or e107 or drupal or whatever, and you'd be up and running in no time (literally minutes).

To answer your other question - HTML is a code language for formatting a web page. Like you have some text, and you add things like <b>this is bold</b>. But you can get a lot more complicated than that, and make an entire site design in HTML. Better yet, add in some CSS, which works with HTML to make styling a lot easier and better. Even more complicated is JavaScript, which can make your web page do fancy things, like move around, or open boxes or whatever. HTML, CSS and JS are sent from the website to your browser, then your browser translates it into words, pictures, styles etc.

PHP is a server-side language that can change what HTML is sent to you. With PHP you can do everything from find out the current time (and "print" it into some HTML), read stuff from a database or even use 2-way communication to log into a site, write things into a database etc. When you "ask" for a web page, the php runs first, generates the HTML it wants to send to you, then it sends it to you.

Thanks mate :awesome: I seen your website on GTW. I reconized you on your piccy's anyway I will check out the links and ask you questions if thats okay.