VIP/SVIP

Then continue on with the six month or twelve month period. I doubt this forum should have Elites quite as fast as a few or so a month. I am not against the idea of continuing on with the Elite group as is but I am against the voting - blackmailing people into voting them, bad member becoming an elite, flaming between the participants, etc.

I have also been to a few forums that have placed post restrictions on the elites, for example, 1500 posts and you must have been 'here' for 12 months. I'm not sure if that is enforced here. However, I think that a lot should be changed since the last elites into the group (Bear and Jace) were in 2007.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have seen a forum with that feature. If a member pays for his membership, he gets a premium account, meaning he can delete his post, remove the "Edited by" lines and all those cool features. Yes, the idea may not fit perfectly well in a GTA based forum, but in other forums like those, it does seem to fit perfectly. After all, nothing is wrong with the idea, it's just many of us are younger than 18 and some of us can't pay until we're at a certain age. From what I know, the only time someone would do this is if they need members to join, so they give a reasonable price for the visitors, and they can easily be eligible with the features available to paid members. The other point in this would be that they would be contributing to the site, either for donating money to make the website last longer, or for development reasons, either way, those can also be used for that as well.

But I don't see the point truthfully in that idea, I mean, Chris has a large-ass fansite here, he's got all the visitors he needs and alot of members on the forum, growing everyday in fact. If he was under paid web hosting, he'd need it if he doesn't have that amount of money. So yeah.

I think the way the staff choose elites now are much better, it's just that I don't see any more elites. Other than Jace and Bear.

I think the way that it is done now is good, where the staff discuss the members who they think ahould be elites. However, I think the decisions should be more frequent, and if the member becomes inactive, I think they should be stripped of their eliteness because if they're not here, then there is no point in giving them priviledges.

I do however, agree with the nomination suggestion. I think if the person concerned feels they should be elite, then they should be able to round up a decent amount of members to start a "campaign" or something.

I think the way that it is done now is good, where the staff discuss the members who they think ahould be elites. However, I think the decisions should be more frequent, and if the member becomes inactive, I think they should be stripped of their eliteness because if they're not here, then there is no point in giving them priviledges.

I do however, agree with the nomination suggestion. I think if the person concerned feels they should be elite, then they should be able to round up a decent amount of members to start a "campaign" or something.

Why should we strip unactive member's Elite status? It's not like they're affecting you or anything, I think it's fine if they keep their status and privileges. And though I agree with you about the staff needing to be a little more frequent with adding new additions, a lot of times there just aren't any members worthy to be picked and that most likely is why we haven't seen any new members become Elite since 2007.

Just because you think you might be ready to become Elite doesn't neccessarily mean you should. I'm sure Chris and the staff know when there should be a new addition to the Elite group, so just be patient.

Edited by Nate10

But not all nominations will be allowed because I would assume that the staff would set up certain requirements to be nominated, for example,

'You must have been here for at least ONE year'

'You must have at least x posts'

'Your posts must be of decent quality'

It'd probably run just like the gangs here, the same rules may apply but to a greater extent than the rules that the gangs enforce. Such as stricter requirements than the gangs. Basically, anyone who doesn't meet the requirements would be simply ignored or told that they can't be nominated. But, I like the current system that we have where the staff choose, more than this idea.

Anyone who assumes they'd be nominated as a VIP member comes off as a bit of a prick, IMO. It's not what you think about you, it's what everyone else does. Inevitably there would be many, many people ignore the guidelines and post anyway. Do you want to have to deal with all those shitty topics and requests? (Same thing that applies with 'i can has be mod plz guys, i've been here for 20 years but i never signed up! LOL! threads)

The staff should really deem if, when, who where, and why someone becomes VIP.

When we promote staff, we have a very simple rule. Anyone who asks to become staff will not be considered. If they don't know the forum well enough to realise that we don't give people admin access just for asking nicely, then they don't know the forum well enough to become a member of staff.

A similar policy could apply to elites? Anyone who is arrogant enough to think they should become elite, is too arrogant to be an elite. Although I do like the idea of running a campaign, getting friends together to show off.

So.. perhaps if the staff pick a few people to be nominated, and announce those nominations. Then those members do everything they can to persuade the staff to pick them as an elite, such as running a campaign, a petition, owning everyone on MTA or whatever. Similar to this.

Eh, I didn't even read the second page. However, I did note that voting isn't a good idea. Although, if you wanted to do a vote, you could have the CURRENT ELITES make the votes. In a fashion of "Member: Y/N", and they vote, not a "Member/Member/Member" type of vote, because why should someone be voted against someone else? This way it's fair, it's voted on, and you avoid n00bs tricking the system.

But that's just a suggestion. As I said, I skipped the entire second page.

Question about the Elite group status thingy, Wasent it that after 4 years a normal lasting member became a elite member?

Nope, not at all. Entirely decided by staff, currently there is no other criteria except the staff agreeing that they're good enough.

Ah i thought though at one point of being here so far, Say after 4 years those lasting members who arent inactive get placed into the Elite Group, Cause i swear at one point here on the forum a few years back it was like that. Ive also seen this done on other forums aswell, after 4 or 5 years of being a active member people get placed into the Elite Group

don't see why my post got fucking deleted to be honest...

anyway, as I was saying, I too would like to see elites voting, since if the elites don't like whoever is coming in there, then it wouldn't be right or fair for someone to go in there who the elites don't like. the existing elites have been there for a long time, and they know who deserves it or not, etc.

Edited by Connor

Each of these ideas are having crap downsides but I really like the idea of the Elite members picking who else will become Elite. I think it might be a good idea if we just keep doing stuff the way we have been doing it but include the Elite on choosing who will become Elite. I don't really like the other ideas. :/

Honestly though, I still don't see anything wrong with how we currently pick Elites.

Well there aren't many elites, so its not as if new users won't have a chance. They probably won't see an elite very often, so it'll have no effect. If one gang has a lot of elites that may become an issue, but we could make it not apply to the gang-war server (just freeroam).

Plus the entire point of elites is that they ARENT twats, so they won't just go round killing people for no reason. Well Spaz might, but he's allowed to...

Alright, thanks for the info cuz I really wouldn't know(haven't played MTA yet but will have it up and running in a month or so)and was just curious.

As for other privileges that the other Elite's could have, how about we let them have DEM rights/ADMIN status to the MTA server so they can ban/punt/etc. people when someone's being a jackass and there's no admin of the server to solve the problem.