PS3 Slim Unveiled

Spaz The Great

ps3-slim-comparison-1.jpg

Hardly a surprise, but Sony got on stage today at GamesCom and confirmed what we've all known deep down in our hearts: the new, slimmer PS3 is really real. It'll be out in the first week of September, and will retail for $300 (or 300 Euro, or 29,980 Yen). It's smaller and lighter, has a 120GB HDD, and packs "all the same features" of the regular PS3 while consuming 34 percent less power and taking up 32 percent less space. Existing PS3 SKUs have their prices dropped a hundie apiece tomorrow in anticipation, so be sure to grab a space heater while you've still got a shot -- though we're not sure why you'd pay $300 for an 80GB PS3 when you can wait a couple weeks and get 120GB in a cuter package. A couple pics of the unveil are after the break.

PS3 Slim

Saw it on Facebook, thought I'd share the link.

I heard that PS2 games will be released on the PSN to download, so probably not backwards compatibility, but more than likely PS2 games to buy. It's not really a replacement, and it's not as if the whole catalogue will go online either. But, a 120GB hard-drive, and it uses less electricity as well, saving you money. I might yet trade my 40GB in and buy this, and transfer all my saves and data on the new hard-drive.

BTW, I think it looks shit. I did when it first leaked, and still do now. Nice to have the option, though.

Nice spellyng, Spaz.

Edited by Bateman.

Yeah, well, does this one have the abillity to play ps2 games? If so, it could be a nice alternative to when my PS3( First model) fucks up.

Btw, I actually find this one a bit bad in terms of design, I prefer the original one to be honest.

How do you figure? The original looks like a fat rich girl who's "too good" for everyone and everything because she's "gorgeous". At least this one toned down the flashiness and took away some of the hard edges.

I heard that PS2 games will be released on the PSN to download, so probably not backwards compatibility, but more than likely PS2 games to buy. It's not really a replacement, and it's not as if the whole catalogue will go online either. But, a 120GB hard-drive, and it uses less electricity as well, saving you money. I might yet trade my 40GB in and buy this, and transfer all my saves and data on the new hard-drive.

BTW, I think it looks shit. I did when it first leaked, and still do now. Nice to have the option, though.

Nice spellyng, Spaz.

I thought certain games did play on the PS3? From what I hear, the only difference with this one is design and power consumption.

Do you think the old design isn't shit? I am having troubles grasping how people think it looks good at all. At E3 05 i was still a Sony fan-boy and I gagged when I saw it.

And what was the "spellyng" comment direct at? I missed that, apparently.

I quite like the original design. I have a 40GB, and it looks OK. I don't like the fact my silver strip isn't real, but who cares. It's big and bulky, but it needed a chance after the PS1 and PS2, otherwise they'd all look the same, which would be silly. Still, they did it with the Dualshock. As for the PS2 games, a few did, on the early versions of the 60GB, which is now quite hard to track down. I haven't checked, but they could be upwards of £350 on Ebay, just because of BC. And the spelling thing :D was aimed at your topic title.

I have to re-read through my whole post each time before posting, because of spelling mistakes as well. It should at least undelrine the error. But anyway, back to the Slim. Is it really an improvement from the original design? It looks absolutely dreadful. It's like a crap, Fisher Price model made by a 5 year old. The lettering isn't even in a different colour, it's all bland-black.

Edited by Bateman.

I have to re-read through my whole post each time before posting, because of spelling mistakes as well. It should at least undelrine the error. But anyway, back to the Slim. Is it really an improvement from the original design? It looks absolutely dreadful. It's like a crap, Fisher Price model made by a 5 year old. The lettering isn't even in a different colour, it's all bland-black.

Well, I like the way the lettering blends in instead of sticking out. Looks less gaudy that way. It isn't bland, either. It's got a nice texture on it, much like the PS2 Slim had. This one seems like they focused a little more on the design instead of flash. Shiny is over-rated, really. With the big curves of the old one, but then all the hard-edges, it just clashed. I like how this one has less of a curve to it, but more curves in other places. It's more well-rounded, I think.

Unfortunately, it won't be able to play legacy (i.e. PS2 games) on the newly revised console. And it is said that they ditched the "Install Other OS" feature in favour of emphasizing games and multimedia content, much like what they did before when they released the PS2 Slim, of which the classic PS2 had an option to install Linux.

Oh well, at least the old PS3's cheaper.

Yeah, well, does this one have the abillity to play ps2 games? If so, it could be a nice alternative to when my PS3( First model) fucks up.

Btw, I actually find this one a bit bad in terms of design, I prefer the original one to be honest.

exactly what i thought.

nothing new + improved compared to PS3, actually LESS (no custom OS install), also they got rid of the touch sensitive buttons (lame) and they got rid of the shinyness!!!

people say "ohh but fingerprints"

i wanna know, who touches the console giving it fingerprints, there is NO need. use the playstation button to turn it on...stays shiny :)

Or, have a box of tissues in your room, and use one when pressing the buttons. I might be persuaded to get one, but I'd have to sell my 40GB PS3, as well as old games I don't play and maybe a DualShock as well, with a sort of busted L1 button. I could do with the extra space.

exactly what i thought.

nothing new + improved compared to PS3, actually LESS (no custom OS install), also they got rid of the touch sensitive buttons (lame) and they got rid of the shinyness!!!

i wanna know, who touches the console giving it fingerprints, there is NO need. use the playstation button to turn it on...stays shiny :)

Oh big deal, no custom OS.... Touch sensitive buttons? What? And shiny is way over-rated.

exactly what i thought.

Oh big deal, no custom OS.... Touch sensitive buttons? What? And shiny is way over-rated.

haha you're right man. i would most likely not use the custom OS. touch sensitive buttons ie the power/eject are now just ugly regular buttons.

shiny overrated sure but ... its shiny :innocent:

My point is, they released a brand new console with LESS than the previous console had. They should've included PS2 compatibility really I think. If they could include PS1 compatibility on PS2, and PS3. The 60GB has, but not the rest. Makes no sense to me. They say supposedly "once your playing ps3 games you wont want to play ps2 anymore (some sony guy actually said this)"

Look at PS2 and PS2 slim. it kept everything PS2 had (and i think it had some more?). See what I'm getting at. It's not like PSP and PSP slim, thats fair enough to make a small one since you carry it. Its just amazing to see that people will buy PS3 again because its slim. I know most of you are/will be buying your first one, and the price dropped to $500 AUD with the new ones too which is good, sony really needed to do that. I'm just annoyed at the hype, same as how I was annoyed at the hype of the f**king iPhone.

In other PS3 related news, did you hear about new Gran Turismo (apart from unknown release date) if you have the playstation eye camera you can track your head movements and moves the camera XD

One other curious note is that the PlayStation Eye can be used as a full 3D head tracking system, which would mean that not only does it track movement left and right, but forward and back as well, resulting in the ability to move your in-car view left, right, forward and back.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015164p1.html

Bottom line about PS3 slim is if you're buying a new one go for it, its $100 cheaper, but I still hear people want to upgrade (from their PS3) which is a bit crazy.

Edited by WRX22B1998

I would only buy the PS3 slim if its not as heavy as a brick like the old one.

What part of slim, didn't you get?

I wanted to say a whole bunch of swear words but. Shut up Ivan. Do you even know if the Slim version of the PS3 is heavy or light weight? Why in almost every topic you post in you make some piss ass reply to me?