My computer

Highwire

could someone help me my computers so slow! I deleted and uninstalled all the stuff I dont need. I also have 2 firewalls and do Disk Cleanup everyday and still its slow! Can someone give me suggestions on making it faster?

Well, you should have tried a spyware scan on your PC; tools such as HijackThis and Spybot can help - they're both free, but HijackThis requires you to submit your computer's process log to the experts for inspection, to determine if there's some rouge process in your rig. And, just to ask you something, are there any annoying popups and stuff that spawn up on your screen? I had a case of what the security experts called SmitFraud, that installs on your PC, without your permission, spawns popups, installs shortcuts to fraudulent websites, and displays a system tray icon and balloon message. A removal app can be found for free, but if your rig's still running like a snail, and you have the guts to do it, why not do it the man's way, like reformatting your hard drive? OK, I have a tip for you: try partitioning your drive into half, like if you have a 100GB drive, you can chop it into 50GB halves; there are utilities such as Norton PartitionMagic that can do that, if you have the money, since warez versions of such software can cause trouble.

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

thegtaguy, it's normal for computers that ae connected to the internet at some point, to constantly run like hell. Mine does, I run the internet on my laptop which is a:

AMD Turion 64 1.8GHz

512MB RAM

ATI Radeon XPress 200M 64MB

Windows XP

And it runs like death, it's terrible - and the reason? Because of the anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall software, believe it or not. If you want to run a computer with the internet, to keep it safe you HAVE to have this security which means that anything you open, anything you click on, you do, is checked by whatever security software you have (for example, avast scans files that are selected or used automatically), they also run background processes - avast often runs a virus recovery database which remembers how files on your computer were before any potential viruses. It's kind of crazy, but that's how it is nowadays. My way around it, is to use a PC that is never ever connected to the internet for gaming, and a laptop for anything involving the internet and one hell of a lot of patience.

However if someone has a handy list of "things to do to make sure your pc runs optimally" I'd love to see it, just to make sure I'm getting the best out of it.

What's your CPU and RAM specs?

I got this pc from a friend so i dunno

If it's outdated (I mean, waaaaay outdated) and has a ton of stuff on it, that could make it run slower. I run a 500mhz K6-2 (One of the worst CPUs I've came upon.) and 256 RAM with windows XP (bad idea.), and if I get too much stuff it just goes beserk and runs terrible.

could someone help me my computers so slow! I deleted and uninstalled all the stuff I dont need. I also have 2 firewalls and do Disk Cleanup everyday and still its slow! Can someone give me suggestions on making it faster?

I had the same problem but now I`m happy because I downloaded a free trial version of Windows Registry Repair Pro from the Internet and it fixed the system errors from the game ...

If you want to know a WRRPro Trick send me a message ...

Edited by Gycu

I don't how much to work with but here is what I'm running.

AMD Athlon 3000+

1 Gig ram

40 Gig boot drive

200 Gig data drive

G-Force 5500 Video card w/ 256 Meg

XP Pro w/ latest version Service Pack 2 (as of May 1 2007)

AVG Free (available From AVG site) .

San Andreas (V1) flies on this machine.

If you haven't tried already, go into OPTIONS in your game & lower DRAW DISTANCE & RESOLUTION. The decreased

demand on your machine might help.

Hit E-Bay for a better video card, Like an N-vidia 4 (GTA 3,VC) or 5 (SA) series w/ 128 + Meg (Starting under $25 shipped US, as of today)

Hope you find something here that helps, Good luck.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw