The next PSP: Playstation NGP (codename)

NotYouHaha

5391827189_33b1548d27_z.jpg

So guys. Announced last night was the "Playstation Next Generation Portable (NGP)". That's just the codename but that's what everyone's calling it for now.

It was announced at PlayStation Meeting 2011 last night and PS Blog says that it's coming out in late 2011 (holiday season).

There's a hell load of information released about the PlayStation NGP so I tried to include as much as possible. :P

Key Features (from PS Blog):

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Yes, there are finally dual analog sticks.

And there's also a list of it's tech specs here.

ngp-top-front-bottom-530w.jpg

As for the games being developed for the NGP, they mentioned:

There's more. Rockstar Games is also developing a game for the NGP, as mentioned in this list (PDF). A new GTA game perhaps? :D

So do you think? I think that the 'video demo of the guy rubbing the back of the NGP to climb a rope in Uncharted' makes the back touch panel on the NGP quite redundant. It just makes the thing more expensive than it already is.

It's already got a 4-core CPU, 2 cameras, an LED touchscreen, gyroscopes/motion sensors, electronic compasses, and a GPS. Sounds quite like there's trying to get every single feature out there on this device. Super-expensive anyone?

Edited by NotYouHaha

I hear it's supposed to be $299 - $349 (in real money, £188 - £220).

I think it's pretty sweet, loving the specs etc. But from what I have seen, the console itself looks pretty ugly though if you ask me, the buttons look like an iPhone 4 rip off as well. The idea as a whole though is a good move by Sony though, their basically opening this out to all Android phones as well (not sure how its going to work, probably similiar to an app store).

Woah..This one actually looks pretty. And 4 core.. How do they cool these portable processors?

Yeah, I was also wondering what sort of processor did they use for the NGP, and what's the clock speed for it (although it'll probably be, judging from what I observed from the Uncharted gameplay video, along the lines of at least 1 to maybe 2.5Ghz). If it's a custom core like the PS3's Cell, then that would be pretty damn expensive.

It looks really impressive, the people who said it was as powerful as PS3 weren't wrong. They say battery life is about 4-6 hours. I hope this is priced under £300 otherwise it'll have a hard time getting a decent amount of sales for the first 6 months or so. If it's £250 or less that would be a reasonable porice, but still too expensive. Hopefully the games will be £30 or under as well.

Sony should go for a real portable device, this is basically a home console you can take to the bathroom. Nintendo knows this and that's why they sold so much DSs. And something this powerfull has to be really expensive, I hope the price tag won't be like when the PS3 first came out.

I don't see what makes you think that, it's the same size as the old PSP, pretty damn portable if you ask me. A home console which I can take to the bathroom sounds sweet, I'd rather have that any day than a gameboy.

Regarding the price, Gamestop has priced the NGP at $299 (£188) so it might not be as expensive as you think.

^ The UK never gets the right end of the stick, we always get the brown dirty end. There's 2 different versions of it, one with 3G and one without, so if the one without is under £250 then most people can get one if they've been looking forward to it ever since they were bitterly disappointed with the original PSP, like I was and still am.

• 5 months later...

In the USA, release around Christmas I heard, pre-orders can be done today to reserve one for something like 5 bucks down I heard?!?

The name is now officially chosen, but I still remember NGP easier then the name they went with, since it again slipped my mind! hahaha

PSP2 was too bland and unexciting ... The system is being high-lighted with portable Uncharted and I say, ship it with that game, it will sell like HOT CAKES!!! I am already wanting one, the price will be $250 without the Wifi G3 or G4 thingie. GPS?!? I forget, maybe it's Blue Tooth, but if you don't use it like a phone, you'll be good saving a buck! It should be much better then the previous PSP systems