Which phone do you use?

amazingdude

Got a Nokia n900. It's a festering pile of rotting dick matter. The hardware is awesome, but the software... It runs a build of linux called maemo, which was pretty good to begin with, when you realise you can get all the apps from the linux app manager. After that it got shit and crap and useless, it's slow, and the OS is crap. Legend has it you can flash it with android, but the work is incomplete and won't work without dual booting. So fuck that. Contract's up in 6 months though - since i'm happy with the handset itself I might see what Nokia's windows phones are like. Also if I grow a vagina I might get the new iPhone.

• Like 1

Got a Nokia n900. It's a festering pile of rotting dick matter. The hardware is awesome, but the software... It runs a build of linux called maemo, which was pretty good to begin with, when you realise you can get all the apps from the linux app manager. After that it got shit and crap and useless, it's slow, and the OS is crap. Legend has it you can flash it with android, but the work is incomplete and won't work without dual booting. So fuck that. Contract's up in 6 months though - since i'm happy with the handset itself I might see what Nokia's windows phones are like. Also if I grow a vagina I might get the new iPhone.

Dude, dualboot android on it.A relative of mine has android running on this thing, it is way better than Maemo.

http://www.almostlik...oid-nokia-n900/

http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-Autoinstaller

Edited by Damjan

Dude, dualboot android on it.A relative of mine has android running on this thing, it is way better than Maemo.

http://www.almostlik...oid-nokia-n900/

http://wiki.nitdroid...0-Autoinstaller

Cheers for the links there, it'd been ages since i looked actually and never had an expansion card and no money to get one so left it. I'm gonna do some more research and see how it handles stuff like my music and videos etc since I want to go forward not back. Also phonecalls. Any idea if any of this actually works. When i was looking at old build of the thing ages ago nothing was really supported.

Android builds seem to be pretty good for non-Android phones. Like I said in my post, my HTC HD2 is the old WinMo 6.5... but I'm running a build of Android 2.3 on it (via SD card - on boot you start WinMo6.5 and then an .exe is run to boot you into Android), it's probably a little different on your N900, sounds like it can dual boot properly.

Everything works perfectly for me though... phone, data, wifi, videos, music, apps. I had a couple of crashes in the 8 months or so I've been using it, but I think it was partly my fault due to using an app that apparently isn't fully supported, either way there are apps to backup all your shit including text messages etc. so I never lost anything when this happened.

EDIT: Also remember Android is linux based, like Maemo... you would think the N900 is better suited to Android than my HD2.

Cheers for the links there, it'd been ages since i looked actually and never had an expansion card and no money to get one so left it. I'm gonna do some more research and see how it handles stuff like my music and videos etc since I want to go forward not back. Also phonecalls. Any idea if any of this actually works. When i was looking at old build of the thing ages ago nothing was really supported.

Some apps you download from the market might not actually work, and also some of the keys might be replaced, check the wiki link, it says which keys are assigned for that and that function.It's really nothing, it's just an installer, it does most of the stuff by itself.