Alive Check

Dmac

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do anything with the website any more but don't wish to take it down or anything, so it will remain online for the foreseeable future.

As for the forums, I've thought about turning them offline as it's clear to see there is barely any activity whatsoever these days. In fact I think aside from GTAForums, pretty much every fansite forum is dead now. Everyone moved to social media. But as with the website, I will probably leave them open for the time being, if any members want to reconnect with one another then they can do so.

Out of curiosity, what brought you back here Dmac?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, Huckleberry Pie said:

I'm here, if that's what you're looking for. You still in touch with the others?

No , unfortunately. How about yourself?

On 5/4/2018 at 7:39 AM, Chris said:

I don't do anything with the website any more but don't wish to take it down or anything, so it will remain online for the foreseeable future.

As for the forums, I've thought about turning them offline as it's clear to see there is barely any activity whatsoever these days. In fact I think aside from GTAForums, pretty much every fansite forum is dead now. Everyone moved to social media. But as with the website, I will probably leave them open for the time being, if any members want to reconnect with one another then they can do so.

Out of curiosity, what brought you back here Dmac?

Although dead, the I find the forums fun to look back on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes back for a little hit of nostalgia!  And that's exactly why I came back. I also wanted to see what everyone else is up to these days.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:33 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Let me check.. can confirm, am alive.

Also, I'm not Dmac but now that I'm here... I think of this place from time to time, I saw your account on Twitter again and decided to drop by to see what was what.

Glad to see you're still alive! I think of TGTAP sometimes, too. A lot of us basically grew up here. Fun times indeed.

Well I guess even if just one person likes to come back to the forums from time to time it's reason enough to leave them online for now. :)

I suspect at some point we'll disable new registrations, maybe even disable posting. But I'll always try to keep an archive of the forums here so all the old topics and posts won't be lost.

While I've said in the past I'd try to keep TGTAP online for as long as I'm alive, I have occasionally wondered about the long term future, like really long term, and not just about this website but any in a similar position. I mean, can you imagine coming back here in another 10 years? 20 years? What about 50 years? Some of us probably won't even be alive at that point. The internet could and probably will look very different then. Interest in GTA could be dead too and at some point it may not be worth keeping the website online any more.

A number of huge GTA fansites have already closed for good in the past couple of years, GTAGaming and GTAWarehouse are two big names no longer operating. GTAGaming was arguably the next biggest site after GTANet, so if they had to shutdown already the future doesn't look too bright for the rest of. I don't think TGTAP will be the next one though, but sadly it's not a favourable trend we're seeing with videogame fansites these days.

P.S. if anyone is reading this in the future and needs to contact me for any reason and is unable to do so here, I'm not particularly difficult to find elsewhere on the Internet. I don't publicly give out my email address but my personal website (https://chrisphillips.uk/) links to places where I can be found.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 8:51 PM, Chris said:

Well I guess even if just one person likes to come back to the forums from time to time it's reason enough to leave them online for now. :)

I suspect at some point we'll disable new registrations, maybe even disable posting. But I'll always try to keep an archive of the forums here so all the old topics and posts won't be lost.

While I've said in the past I'd try to keep TGTAP online for as long as I'm alive, I have occasionally wondered about the long term future, like really long term, and not just about this website but any in a similar position. I mean, can you imagine coming back here in another 10 years? 20 years? What about 50 years? Some of us probably won't even be alive at that point. The internet could and probably will look very different then. Interest in GTA could be dead too and at some point it may not be worth keeping the website online any more.

A number of huge GTA fansites have already closed for good in the past couple of years, GTAGaming and GTAWarehouse are two big names no longer operating. GTAGaming was arguably the next biggest site after GTANet, so if they had to shutdown already the future doesn't look too bright for the rest of. I don't think TGTAP will be the next one though, but sadly it's not a favourable trend we're seeing with videogame fansites these days.

P.S. if anyone is reading this in the future and needs to contact me for any reason and is unable to do so here, I'm not particularly difficult to find elsewhere on the Internet. I don't publicly give out my email address but my personal website (https://chrisphillips.uk/) links to places where I can be found.

I've been lurking here on and off for a couple of years now too. Not sure if you even remember me lol...

Shame this whole area seems to be totally clogged with spambot posts nowadays though :(

On 6/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, GiiBz said:

Shame this whole area seems to be totally clogged with spambot posts nowadays though

That's actually very recent, like the last 2 weeks or so. I don't know... we're on the latest version of IPB, we're using their anti-spam service, but it's useless, the bots still get through. Might disable registrations for a while, seems to be the only way to prevent them getting through.

I had to check your username history and profile but yeah I remember. There are plenty of users I didn't talk to much one to one but at least recognise their usernames if they were frequent posters. I noticed a comment on my profile back in 2010 saying that you had added me on PSN. I rarely play PS3/PS4 these days but curious what your username there is? I'm guessing we never played anything together?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

That's actually very recent, like the last 2 weeks or so. I don't know... we're on the latest version of IPB, we're using their anti-spam service, but it's useless, the bots still get through. Might disable registrations for a while, seems to be the only way to prevent them getting through.

I had to check your username history and profile but yeah I remember. There are plenty of users I didn't talk to much one to one but at least recognise their usernames if they were frequent posters. I noticed a comment on my profile back in 2010 saying that you had added me on PSN. I rarely play PS3/PS4 these days but curious what your username there is? I'm guessing we never played anything together?

Yeah, seemed to have really blown up over the weekend =/

I don't really play on my PS3/4 these days, moved over to Steam now and play mainly on PC. My Steam user is 'Giibz' (screen name PzKfw Tiger I)

Think we might have played some GTA 4/5 online way back in the day? Unless I'm getting confused with another Chris on my list lol.

I was amazed to see Kokane was still coming on here too, another name from the old days! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, Chris said:

Yeah, I miss the days when both our sites were rife with activity. Been trying to contact Neil lately to no avail either. If anything, people moving on to other games along with the negative impression gamers felt over Take-Two corporate's scummy business practices (e.g. microtransactions and loot boxes being implemented in GTAO and NBA 2K) have caused a decline in interest, not to mention that the Benz himself isn't pleased either as we all know.

As far as spambots are concerned, I've used MyBB's built-in anti-spam feature along with the Purge Spammer plugin. Few if any are able to barge in and dump garbage into my site lol.

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still alive and over 52 years of age now, as old as some of my heroes it seems, People I respected are usually older than I am, and a lot of the celeb heroes are dying the past few years. I'm alarmed, but my mission is to carry the flag for what they represented as long as I can. GTA and RDR don't often get the top game accolades by the general gaming press, but we know better. I'm back playing GTA5 in fact, and will soon the older games, in the fact that GTA4 celebrated it's 10th anniversary to nary any fanfare. I hope the forum stays up, GTAForums is at times too crowded and active for more one on one, family vibe. And the haters are still there as I've seen. Don't want to provoke more ire

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:10 AM, BlackListedB said:

I hope the forum stays up

As I've said numerous times in the past I have no intention of ever taking the site down. The forums have had new registrations disabled for a while now (although I believe signups via Facebook are still possible) for a couple of reasons; 1. to reduce botspam and 2. because the forums are essentially dead we're unlikely to get many new people around here for any legitimate reasons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still check this place time and again to see what's what. It's a shame that GTAG and GTAWh are not longer in service. GTAForums is the most active forum these days. It's been 8 years already for me on this website. Time passes really quick I guess.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, rockstarrem said:

Still alive. How's everyone doing? What is everyone up to these days?

Complete High School, College, Uni and finally settled down with a job these days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't even legally allowed to play GTA when I joined here because looking at my old profile picture of me standing on tower bridge, I must've been 13/14. :erm: Luckily the last thing I downloaded on my PC was someone trying to calm a potato down, so it is a fitting swap. 

I see a few names here that I remember! Hey there folks! It's been an age a while.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:59 PM, rockstarrem said:

Still alive. How's everyone doing? What is everyone up to these days?

Eh, since I was last active here? Jumps over 10 years in time. I finished high school, moved away from home briefly to go to university and study graphic design, which I've graduated in and working in retail now. I still play GTA, recently finished the story of GTA V again a week ago (so I could do some achievement hunting on console) but mostly I spend my life on discord or playing Overwatch these days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Really wish this would pick up so we could get some of the old timers back together. Not enough of us visit here to be able to see it :(

I'm just seeing it now myself, I'll join up when I get home. Has anyone else from the old days seen or joined up yet?

On 7/2/2019 at 4:00 AM, Noru said:

I'm just seeing it now myself, I'll join up when I get home. Has anyone else from the old days seen or joined up yet?

I haven't joined yet, but from the prompt that appears there only seems to be one person who I assume is Dmac... Wish we could spread this around somehow, especially those of us who may still talk to some of those old timers.

Edited by Spider-Vice